Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Nations Tri -- Wetsuit Advice?
CREATED: 09/08/12 by HappyRunner REPLIES: 4
HappyRunner's ravatar HappyRunner    JOINED: 1/15/11    POSTS: 177
Nations Tri -- Wetsuit Advice?
POSTED: 9/08/12 3:09 PM

So it appears Nations will be wetsuit permissible but not wetsuit legal. I'm not looking for a podium finish and love the assistance a wetsuite gives to my swim. I don't overheat so that's not an issue.

As a newbie, I am not sure what the norms are on this. Is wearing a wet suit in a "non-legal but permissible" race considered getting an unfair advantage? Is it perfectly acceptable?

Bottom line, while I won't be on the podium, I want to race my fellow age-groupers fair and square.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1269
RE: Nations Tri -- Wetsuit Advice?
POSTED: 9/08/12 3:26 PM

If they allow it, by definition, it's acceptable. You are not bypassing any rules. The one thing to keep in mind though, at least in prior years, is that people who wear wetsuits will be placed in the last wave. It's a coed wave of all wetsuit swimmers. For some, that's not a good thing since there are a lot of waves out there.

The year that it was permissible (I'm not sure if it was Nations or DC Triathlon, but they were run by the same folks), there was a sizable group that went that route ... at least from my volunteering/spectator point of view.

I'm not sure what Nations' policy is. In some races where there it was "permissible", you get your splits but they don't give you a rank within your age group. Or they give you everything, but place as "*" next to your name to signify that you swam with a wetsuit.

Tuan

HappyRunner's ravatar HappyRunner    JOINED: 1/15/11    POSTS: 177
POSTED: 9/08/12 3:33 PM

I'm actually at the expo right now and just happened to be passing by the briefing when I heard the race director start to talk about this, so I popped in.

I completely misunderstood -- I thought it meant that you just couldn't win awards. But that's not the case at all.

According to the RD, you are allowed to wear a wet suit, but if you do are no longer competing, but rather "participating." You go off in a last wave, with the normal time trial start, but you are not scored with your age group at all.

So no wet suit for me. Maybe I'll smuggle in a noodle.

mina's ravatar mina    JOINED: 12/7/12    POSTS: 25
POSTED: 4/24/13 1:37 PM

Thanks for posting this. I am in the same boat this year. How about tri suit? those are allowed to participate, I guess?

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1269
POSTED: 4/24/13 1:43 PM

Tri suit is allowed under all scenarios. It is allowed if the water temp is 50. It is allowed if the water temp is 90.

--Tuan

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria