Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Open water swim locations?
CREATED: 04/12/12 by npleisch REPLIES: 8
npleisch    JOINED: 4/5/12    POSTS: 134
Open water swim locations?
POSTED: 4/12/12 12:05 PM

Hey all. My name is Nik and I'm new to the tri club and to the area. My wife and I did IM Wisconsin last year for our first IM and we are looking for good open water swim locations. We live in Kingstowne/Alexandria. Any suggestions on where the best/closest locations for open water swimming are going to be for us? Thank you!

spleary's ravatar spleary    JOINED: 8/17/10    POSTS: 73
RE: Open water swim locations?
POSTED: 4/12/12 12:28 PM

Welcome to DC! I think you'll find a great Tri community around these parts. What you may not find as much of is open water swimming. Lake Anna and Sandy Point are probably your two best bets. Heres a post by DC Rainmaker with a bit more info:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/p/washington-dc-resources.html

-Scott

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1331
POSTED: 4/12/12 12:42 PM

I second with what Scott said. For a body of water that is open to the general public during the season, Sandy Point in Annapolis is probably the only viable place for you to go. The only other place open to the public place is Lake Anna, Va, which is about 80+ miles from Alexandria. There is also a place in Baltimore, but Sandy Point is closer.

There are other options such as the OWS swims that WaveOne puts on every week in the summer at the National Harbor. You will have to pay for that. Parking can be expensive, unless you want to bike to it. It's $20-ish per swim, unless you buy a season pass or a smaller package. Many people in DCTri did this last year and seem to enjoy it since it's supported with kayakers and buoys.

Gunston Manner is another place, but it's private. There are always a few organized swims there during the summer. I think the price is $20, which includes a BBQ afterward.

There is Lake Audubon in Reston Va. That's also private. There are a few organized swims out there every year. Prices varies.

Tuan

RJohnson1979's ravatar RJohnson1979    JOINED: 9/13/09    POSTS: 82
POSTED: 4/12/12 7:08 PM

Hey Nik - Welcome. I've done OWS out at Millbrook Quarry near Haymarket VA a few times and highly recommend it:

http://rehabtoracing.com/openwater.php

Ryan

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1783
POSTED: 4/13/12 7:54 AM

Watch also for the summer Curl-Burke bric-nic swims in the Potomac (plus trail runs/bbq) near Mason Neck south of Alexandria.

And WaveOne is putting together some inaugural swims: across the Potomac from Alexandria to National Harbor, and maybe another around Teddy Roosevelt Island from Gtown Harbor.

NTM the OWS practice at Lake Anna the day before PeasantMan.

You might also check out the Memorial Day swim weekend at Lake Reston/Lake McDonnell, which will feature an inaugural 5K, and a 2 mi & 1 mile swims, & I think a practice 1 miler.

seewhatucando's ravatar seewhatucando    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 117
POSTED: 4/13/12 8:27 AM

There'sa some practice swims put on by Racine Multisports in up in Fort Ritchie, MD . It is about an hour away but some of the other options mentioned are nearly as far.

http://www.racinemultisports.com/Practice_Swims.html

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1064
POSTED: 4/13/12 8:35 AM

Lynn, thanks for the tip off about the Racine swims. I may check it out on Sunday.

Funny how Tuan is giving us information about open water swims.

seewhatucando's ravatar seewhatucando    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 117
POSTED: 4/13/12 8:39 AM

Hugh, Tuan has educated himself on OWS locations specifically so he can avoid them at all costs.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1331
POSTED: 4/13/12 8:48 AM

Hugh ... like Lynns said, I know places to avoid :)

Keep your friends close, your enemies closer.

Tuan

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria