DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Help Guide a Blind Athlete
CREATED: 02/17/12 by dsgrunning REPLIES: 2
dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1331
Help Guide a Blind Athlete
POSTED: 2/17/12 9:03 AM

Hi All,

Every once in awhile I help guide a blind athlete with a run workout. I'm soliciting more folks to help out. The commitment is up to you. You can do it once a week, once a month, once a year, or once in a lifetime. The workout is a bike or run. You will be tethered to a blind athlete if you choose to run. The blind athlete will have a tandem bike if you wish to bike. The distance will vary. The main thing is that you are there to help the blind athlete. This could be a short daily workout, long weekend workout, or during a race.

The athlete that I've worked with is Tina (Kristina.L.Ament at usdoj dot gov). She needs help and asks that I solicit some help for her. It's a fun experience. Her run pace is 9-10 min/mile. She's done an Ironman, marathons, and everything else in between. If you can help her out, please do. It could be a short weekday run or long weekend run. She's very accommodating as far as the distance that she wants to run/bike. She's also a member of DCTri.

The person in charge of the program is Doug Powell (doug.powell.oldjock at gmail dot com). If you send him an email and tell him that you are interested in helping out, he will put you on an email list. Every week he sends out an email specifying the types of help that he needs. Like I said, you can help out once a week or once in a lifetime. They just need as much people helping out as possible.

Below is a sample email that Doug sends out weekly.

===================
Hello,
Our folks would like the following support:
Saturday ride from Tyler Elementary School, Gainesville
Kevin (Ballston) 25 miles
Doug (Falls Church) 30 miles

Sunday run from Gravely Point
Tina (Alexandria) 10 miles @ 9'00/
Doug (Falls Church) 5 - 5.5 miles @ 11'30/
Kevin (Ballston) 3 miles @ 12'00/

We'd appreciate your support. Please let me know if you can help
===================

Please send Tina/Doug an email if you can help out. Tell them I sent you :)

Thanks
Tuan

rojojade's ravatar rojojade    JOINED: 1/19/11    POSTS: 365
RE: Help Guide a Blind Athlete
POSTED: 2/21/12 5:08 PM

Who logged in as Tuan?!?! Or he must be in trouble because there was no plug for Peasentman in this message anywhere!

But it sounds like a great volunteer opportunity! Thanks for letting us now about this.

-Catharine

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1331
RE: Help Guide a Blind Athlete
POSTED: 2/21/12 5:30 PM

Tina would like to do PeasantMan. If anyone wants to guide her or any of the other blind athletes at PeasantMan, I'll comp them at entry at PeasantMan. Just drop me an email.

PeasantMan ... a force that can't be contained :)

Tuan
Number55555@yahoo dot com

PeasantMan

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria