Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

Olympic distance program
CREATED: 06/30/10 by LMR6478 REPLIES: 33
LMR6478's ravatar LMR6478    JOINED: 3/2/09    POSTS: 46
Olympic distance program
POSTED: 6/30/10 10:07 PM

I'm interested in getting some more information on the Olympic distance training program. I'm comfortable with sprint distance tris and registered for Nations thinking that would be my thing to work towards this year, but I am having trouble putting in the extra time to train for a longer distance. Is this program structured like NTP with training plans and regular group workouts? How much time per week would I need to plan on investing?

Thanks
Lara

tpsneddon    JOINED: 2/28/10    POSTS: 8
RE: Olympic distance program
POSTED: 7/01/10 8:27 PM

I'm also interested but would like more info!
Thanks,
Tam

ajm27's ravatar ajm27    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 128
POSTED: 7/01/10 11:26 PM

Thank you for your interest in the Olympic Distance Training Program. This program is structured much like the NTP program where you will receive a monthly training plan. This training plan will, however, incorporate workouts with more intensity and volume. We will also organize group workouts (as well as encourage other group workouts including track workouts, bike rides, etc) where you are encouraged to participate as you are able and as time allows. The typical plan will require approximately 6 - 6:30 hours per week. There will be a few weeks (recovery weeks) that require less time and a few weeks that may require up to 7 hours (build weeks). HOWEVER, since a training plan will be offered for Nation's Tri, as well as the National Club Championship race in SC, we will be tailoring the plans accordingly. Therefore, if we need to adjust your training plan to fit your time availability, we will do just that. Please offer us your time availabilty (more or less) and we will adjust the training plan accordingly. In addition, we will have triathletes that are various different levels (new versus seasoned). We will also adjust these training plans accordingly to your level of ability.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to ask. If you have the question, someone else probably does as well.

Have a good holiday weekend!

AJ

orngwomn's ravatar orngwomn    JOINED: 8/25/09    POSTS: 4
POSTED: 7/02/10 12:06 AM

When does the training plan start; I signed up yesterday
Thanks!
Michele

ferguson's ravatar ferguson    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 213
POSTED: 7/02/10 8:43 AM

The training program begins this weekend.

We need to spin this up relatively quickly as we're 10 weeks out from Nations and 13 weeks out from Myrtle (which are the two target races). Starting now will ensure that we get you the best training plan possible so you're ready to conquer the Olympic distance!

We know this is a big holiday weekend and getting in those first workouts may be tough. If you're out of town, already have plans, or for whatever reason just can't get those first workouts in... no worries. Don't let that deter you from signing up!

At this point, the important thing is to get the ball rolling. All you need to do is sign up for the program and start your training in the next few days. We'll get you ready to race!!!

Keep the questions coming!

-Matt
Olympic Distance Training Program coordinator

LCoke    JOINED: 5/2/10    POSTS: 5
POSTED: 7/02/10 10:40 AM

I am interested in signing up for the olympic training program, but this will be my first triathlon (I am a new DC Tri member and missed the NTP program earlier this year). Are you accepting all levels of participants? My goal is to be ready to do a triathlon in October.

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
POSTED: 7/02/10 11:21 AM

Is there a scaled up version of the plan? I could use some extra motivation, but 6-7 hours a week sounds like what I am doing now, not what I should be doing (10+hours).

POSTED: 7/02/10 11:53 AM

The answer to both previous questions is yes, though the second is more clear-cut.

As AJ (the coach of this program) pointed out, we will have athletes of varying abilities and can tailor the program to your individual needs. If you are more experienced and need more volume & intensity, we can give you more.

That said, this program does not address the basics of triathlon, nor do we provide mentors as the New Triathlete Program does. It is not intended to bring someone with little or no knowledge of the sport 'off the couch' and get them ready for a triathlon.

If you have a base level of fitness and feel confident that you can handle the 6-7 hours of training this program will demand, you should be ok. More to the point, if you feel confident that, in 3 months time, you will be able to swim 1,000 yards, bike 28 miles, and run 6.5 miles, go ahead and sign up for the program.

We would ask that, if this is your situation, you sign up for the Myrtle Beach Triathlon so that we have the maximum amount of time possible to get you ready. We, the coach and coordinators, will also be attending that race which will be helpful for athletes of lesser ability.

*disclaimer: I am a coordinator and not the primary coach. AJ will have to verify what I have written as she is the coach of this program and will be primarily responsible for your training

-Matt
Olympic Distance Training Program coordinator

ajm27's ravatar ajm27    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 128
POSTED: 7/02/10 1:35 PM

Matt is absolutely correct. We recognize that there will be varying levels of ability. We are sure there will be some athletes that need more volume and intensity. We can give that to you, as well as guide you to group workouts that 'force' you out of your norm/confort zone.

As for being a new triathlete, most of us have not gone through the NTP program initially. We would still encourage you to join (because a tailored program is going to be more beneficial than doing it strictly on your own). However we would also encourage you to make every effort to make the clinics and group workouts so that you can learn and ask questions. This is an invaluable experience for any triathlete, new or seasoned. As you can see, we are going to do our best to reach all levels of abilities as this is very representative of the members of the DC Tri Club.

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1770
POSTED: 7/02/10 1:39 PM

Would doing the sprint training tri next weekend be a good way to sharpen one's transitions for this distance?

POSTED: 7/02/10 2:13 PM

Great question!

Our upcoming training tri would be an effective way for all participants to gauge base level fitness as they start their new training program.

It would also allow the coach and co-leaders to assess their swim, bike, and run ability first-hand.

The training triathlon consists of a 400 meter pool swim, 16.5 mile Bike, and 5k Run. The race is held at Hains Point which is as close as possible to a closed course... very few cars to worry about! The pool will have lifeguards on duty and there will be club members posted throughout the bike & run course to ensure a safe environment in which to race.

Participants are encouraged to sign up. These races always close out very quickly- as of today there are less than 25 spots left so act fast!

-Matt
Olympic Distance Training Program co-leader

tpsneddon    JOINED: 2/28/10    POSTS: 8
POSTED: 7/02/10 9:07 PM

Hi - what sort of time and locations would the 'group workouts' be at?
Thanks,
Tam

POSTED: 7/03/10 8:49 AM

The time and location of group workouts will vary.

Most of the structured group workouts will be scheduled in conjunction with your training program. They will generally be held on weekends (Sat or Sun) in the DC / NoVa area and will likely take place early morning as this tends to work best with most people's schedules. These will be exclusive to participants of the Olympic Distance Training Program. We have already scheduled our first group workout (a run through Rock Creek Park) for an upcoming Saturday morning.

We will also encourage you to attend club-wide events that could also be considered group workouts. Events such as the Cycling Skills Clinic on July 7th, our Training Triathlon on July 11th or the Group Run & Gait Analysis Clinic on July 24th. All of these events serve as value added components of your training program, especially for those on the lower end of the experience spectrum.

Lastly, we hope that the participants themselves will eventually bond together and organize their own group workouts in addition to that which we provide. A google group has been set up for the program which can be used by participants to communicate with each other. For example, if we've scheduled a 2 hour bike and you'd like to have company, just post on the google group when & where you plan to ride... a boring solo ride could instantly be turned into a fun group ride!

-Matt

hallecksonb's ravatar hallecksonb    JOINED: 6/24/10    POSTS: 2
POSTED: 7/04/10 2:59 AM

I am interested in this group. Is it full? I don't see how to join/sign up? Curious to to know when and where they will meet. Is there any additional fee? I am registered for the Nations Tri this September.

POSTED: 7/04/10 12:06 PM

Program should still be open, though I won't have an accurate head count until Monday.

See my last post WRT when / where group workouts will be held.

If you already registered for Nations, that is perfect as you're 10 weeks out from race day. This program was specifically designed with Nations and Myrtle in mind as target races.

Fee is $50... generally unheard of for a customized 3 month training program that includes direct access to your coach. Fifty bucks would normally cover about 2 weeks of a generic program with no access to a coach.

To sign up:

log in > shop > training races and programs > click 'add to cart' under Olympic Distance Training Program > you should see 'Olympic Training Program / $50 in your cart (right side of screen) > checkout > follow paypal process to complete payment.

-Matt

carrieacampbell    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 128
POSTED: 7/04/10 8:04 PM

I just signed up. And registered for the training tri as well - I'm ready to be critiqued. ;) Thanks AJ & Matt (& others I don't know) for heading this up!

Carrie C.

lisde    JOINED: 4/27/10    POSTS: 20
POSTED: 7/05/10 1:48 PM

Hi,

I just signed up for my first training program, the Olympic distance program. Please let me know what happens next, in terms of tailoring a plan that fits my skills/level/goals.

I have been doing tri/races on and off for the last ten years (whenever grad school and research allowed). However, now I want to try something more structured that will take my training to the next level and hopefully build me up to do a Half-Ironman next year (yikes!!!).

I did the Washington dc tri (sprint distance) and I am signed up for Nation's. I am also signed up for the training tri this coming weekend.

I am relatively new to the club. I have met some of you through the swim workouts (at CUA) and track workouts (with Hilary Cairns), so any info on how these program work would be very helpful.

Gracias,

Delisse

POSTED: 7/05/10 7:11 PM

Delisse,

Happy to have you aboard! It sounds like you have a good plan- the DC Tri and training tri will give you (and us) a good idea of your baseline fitness.

The ODTP (still searching for a good nickname) will hopefully have you training effectively as you build toward your target race: Nations.

Then you can look to build on that success by picking a target Half IronMan in 2011 and joining up with the HIPsters (Half IronMan Training Program).

Upon registering, you should've received a direct email & invite for the google group. For now, just follow the base program as outlined. We will put together a questionnaire for all participants that will allow us to tailor the program to your specific skill level / goals, etc.

-Matt

lisde    JOINED: 4/27/10    POSTS: 20
POSTED: 7/05/10 7:47 PM

Hi Matt,

The only email I received was the payment confirmation email to the ODCP, but no invite to google-group or baseline program. I even checked my spam/junk folder and found nothing. It is because its the holiday?

Thanks,

Delisse

zblanchet    JOINED: 7/6/10    POSTS: 2
POSTED: 7/08/10 12:26 AM

Hey everyone,

I just signed up, sorry for my late arrival. This will be my first Tri and I have a lot to learn but am very excited!

Zach

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria