Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

General Smallwood Update
CREATED: 07/11/12 by Luke REPLIES: 18
Luke's ravatar Luke    JOINED: 11/28/10    POSTS: 375
General Smallwood Update
POSTED: 7/11/12 12:00 AM

First of all, thank you to everyone who has called, texted, or sent get well messages! I was blown away by the size and tightnittedness of the tri community (i have heard from some people living all over the country!). It has certainly lifted my spirits!

It is EXTREMELY important to stay hydrated...particularly on hot days. i was very careful to drink tons of fluids on thursday and friday ( particularly gatorade and powerade) as well as on race morning. I took the swim conservatively so as to not dehydrate in the 87 degree temps.

But thats where the competitor took over. i was in 2nd place riding out of my mind. going up a hill on mile 9, i saw dc triclubber phil schmidt (the race leader) right ahead of me. Like Nastia Liukin says, "I'm a fighter!"... i thought i could take him. and so i did. at least for a while.

However this harder effert required more fluids. coming up on mile 18 the mighty well ran dry. i had finished my aero drink and water bottle... i would have to ride the next 6 miles without hydration... a dangerous move! i actually carried a bottle on the run for the first time ever, but this was too little too late. i approached the run not as a race but as a long run... i figured i may be able to hold on for the win. but dehydration caught up to me and i passed out around mile 5.

dehydration is no fun: no win. no pr. no team party. no chillen in the dc triclub wading pools. instead i got a helicopter ride to the hospital where i still am. (i saw i was DQed in the results...maybe that was for use of a helicopter on the run leg!) everything is coming to normal and i should get to leave soon. but its def not worth the risk. im now hoping this race doesnt set me back for pittsburgh 7/27 or agegroup nats 8/18. moral of the story is safety first, speed second.

i would like to personally thank everyone who helped me out. unfortunately i was unconscious most of the day saturday with my 106 body temp so i prob dont remember most of you! but i am sincerely greatful for every one of you that came to my aid... as well as for thefirst aid team.

In a lighter note, certainly the highlight of the race for me was dealing with the lead motorcyclist on the bike leg. i passed this guy not once, but twice!! definitely an unusual experience... and some great pr for smiley's bike fitting! seriously, if you havent seen smiley, go see him asap!

CONGRATS to DC TRICLUB on yet another REGIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!!
Sign me up for club nats in oklahoma!

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 983
RE: General Smallwood Update
POSTED: 7/11/12 6:23 AM

It's good to hear from you Luke. Glad that things are improving and that everything is turning out okay. With a body temp like that, I was worried about permanent damage, but glad you made it through.

Heal first, then worry about your race schedule. :)

Bryan

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 463
POSTED: 7/11/12 6:48 AM

Good to hear that you are well on your way to recovering! Take time to fully recover. There is plenty of time for wins and PRs!!

Kevin

ballstoncyclist's ravatar ballstoncyclist    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 496
POSTED: 7/11/12 6:52 AM

Hey hottie (someone had to say it).

What a relief to read an update from you and not through 3rd parties. Glad to hear your are recovering.

gardengirl's ravatar gardengirl    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 119
POSTED: 7/11/12 9:02 AM

SO good to hear from you. Please take care and recover. Maybe take some time for Doritos and see who you can meet/charm in the hospital? :)

khangrx    JOINED: 2/16/12    POSTS: 16
POSTED: 7/11/12 9:18 AM

Luke! Good to hear from you and see that you still have your sense of humor. Rest up and see you out there when you're ready.

DoggyBrown's ravatar DoggyBrown    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 137
POSTED: 7/11/12 9:21 AM

Glad you're doing better, Luke. You were movin pretty good on the bike and run when I saw you. I was really confused when you hadn't finished. Scary stuff. Rest up.

-- Phil

pserfass's ravatar pserfass    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 441
POSTED: 7/11/12 9:32 AM

Yeah, I had the same thought as Phil when I was coming into T2 and you were starting the run--"holy crap he looks fresh (and fast!). I hope I feel that way when I start the run." And I thought the same thing again when I saw you later coming back from the turn around. You even encouraged me! At that point, I couldn't even keep my head up or talk...

So I was totally shocked that you didn't make it to the end. Sounds like you were too.

Now reading your post, you even drank about twice as much as I did. Unbelievable.

I'm so glad to know you're on the mend and have no doubt that you'll be crushing the rest of us again very, very soon. Best wishes for a continued, speedy and complete recovery.

-Patrick

kristoferkitto's ravatar kristoferkitto    JOINED: 1/24/10    POSTS: 59
POSTED: 7/11/12 10:56 AM

Luke -- I love that you quoted Nastia Liukin (who, unfortunately, did a major face plant off the uneven bars at Olympic trials a couple of weeks ago).

Get well soon. You're such a great representative of the club.

Kris

nelsb7p0's ravatar nelsb7p0    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 440
POSTED: 7/11/12 11:14 AM

Awesome to hear you're on your way to a good recovery!

Hope to see you out there soon (and in cooler conditions),
Brady

PamS's ravatar PamS    JOINED: 1/26/10    POSTS: 365
POSTED: 7/11/12 11:33 AM

Glad to hear you're doing better Luke!!

Take you time recovering, this guy will be cheering for you when you get back out there :)

Pam

PamS's ravatar PamS    JOINED: 1/26/10    POSTS: 365
POSTED: 7/11/12 11:39 AM

deleted

POSTED: 7/11/12 3:24 PM

Pam- AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!! i love it!! more support for the DC TRIceratops!! I'm telling you, we're gonna make this thing happen! He's winning in the dc triclub mascot straw poll in a landslide, over his only competitor: Ryan The Troll!

Brady- the conditions can only get better!! we'll never race on a 106-degree day again! (and ill never see my body temp reach 106 again!)

Kris- i had to give a shoutout to my girl Nastia ;-). i never understood how girls would justify cheering for an athlete cause "he's sooo cute". and then i saw nastia compete. if only i could meet her! (does the make-a-wish foundation get athletes to visit 28 year old kids in the hospital!?!)

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
POSTED: 7/11/12 3:30 PM

Don't jinx the weather Luke. I said the same thing about the nasty conditions after Rocketts Landing last year, and look what happened. Maybe we can petition to have the mid-atlantic club championships in Canada next year.

POSTED: 7/12/12 8:13 PM

I just got home from the hospital... looking forward to relaxing and recovering! Thank you to everyone who helped me through my experience with heatstroke. I'm truly lucky to be alive right now. GOD was watching over me, and a lot of people were looking out for me!

I can't exercise at all for 6 weeks, which is going to be extremely difficult, particularly since I'm going to miss my focus races of Pittsburgh 7/28 and Age-Group Nats 8/18... but in the grand scheme of things, I came out lucky. Please be careful whenever you're racing in hot weather, as we often do (EagleMan & Club Regionals historically tend to be bad). Believe me, it's not worth the risk!

-Luke "106.7" Holman
(coincidentally, 106.7 The Fan is a big DC sports radio station!)

jbrez's ravatar jbrez    JOINED: 1/30/11    POSTS: 271
POSTED: 7/12/12 8:29 PM

Good to hear buddy. I'll see you out in Oklahoma in September.

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
POSTED: 7/12/12 8:37 PM

Glad you are back at home. Crank up the AC, enjoy a beer, and relax. Always time for training later.

afava's ravatar afava    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 257
POSTED: 7/13/12 6:16 AM

Luke, good to hear you are home and recovering! You scared us :-(

Now, I'm a bit worried that you're going to focus all this found time of yours on your Club Mascot project. What about a Club bar? A place to call home and gather post-race. A place that will proudly display our many Club awards.

Andrea

POSTED: 7/13/12 10:12 AM

What places would be in the running for a club bar? I'm sure a new thread about that would stir up a lot of debate! (and possibly a secession movement by some...)

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria