DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Need help understanding my training plan
CREATED: 05/12/12 by tkopan REPLIES: 7
tkopan's ravatar tkopan    JOINED: 4/7/12    POSTS: 46
Need help understanding my training plan
POSTED: 5/12/12 8:29 AM

Hi all,
I'm getting into the "quality/speedwork" phase of my training plan and don't understand a part of the swim:
5 x 100 *fast on 7 min.* easy 50 while resting .............500yds.
also described as "all out on the 6's"

Does anyone know what that means?
Thanks,
Tal

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
RE: Need help understanding my training plan
POSTED: 5/12/12 9:58 AM

Yikes - are they saying to do one "fast" 100 every 7 minutes? That gives you 5+ minutes of rest...which I guess would give you plenty of time to do LOTS of easy 50's.

Maybe give some constructive feedback to use more standard swim workout terminology and structure (ie. 5x100 on the 1:30s).

Andy

karlaj's ravatar karlaj    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 201
POSTED: 5/12/12 10:46 PM

Agree with Andy, that's very non-standard terminology (if it's standard anywhere). Asking for clarification would be warranted. -Jason

POSTED: 5/13/12 5:02 PM

Well, I feel better knowing it's not just me. Thanks for the help!

wbdowntown's ravatar wbdowntown    JOINED: 3/28/12    POSTS: 95
POSTED: 5/13/12 7:15 PM

We used to do sets like this in college; the speeds were geared toward extremely fast, all out, race pace efforts. There is a point to the set (building serious lactic acid, going anaerobic, trying to flush out the acid and repeat the effort) but I really don't see the point for triathlon training, especially if you're crunched for time.

POSTED: 5/17/12 9:06 AM

Upon your advice, this is the response I got from the training plan creator:
the workout means you will swim a 100 Freestyle (4 lengths in a 25 yd. pool or 2 lengths is a 50 meter pool) 5 times. You will do each 100 all out on an interval of 7 minutes with an easy 50 freestyle (two lengths of the pool in a 25 yard pool)

So, press your stopwatch (or timer), then push off the wall and swim a 100 freestyle hard. When you finish, look at your time. Let's say you swam your 100 freestyle in 1 minute and 30 seconds. You now have 5 minutes and 30 seconds to rest until you swim your next 100 (remember we are on an interval of 7 minutes). But, rather than sit there, you will then swim a real, real, real easy 50 freestyle as a means of active recovery. So, say it takes you 1 minute to swim the easy 50. You now have 4 minutes and 30 seconds until you swim your next 100 freestyle. When that time is up, you will push off the wall and swim your second 100 freestyle followed by an easy 50. You will do this 5 times.

....I decided to go a different route with it, since that seemed like a ton of rest for a tri training swim. Thanks guys!

karlaj's ravatar karlaj    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 201
POSTED: 5/17/12 9:23 AM

Glad you got an answer. Wow. I agree, that set sounds ridiculous for what you're doing. But what do I know? I'm no swim coach.

May I ask what training plan? Swimming only? Or a tri package? -jk

POSTED: 5/17/12 10:16 AM

I found one free online that looked good and am in week 13:
http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_trainingprograms/tno_18wOly.asp

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria