DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Ipods at the Nation's tri
CREATED: 08/19/10 by crancat REPLIES: 10
crancat    JOINED: 6/7/10    POSTS: 4
Ipods at the Nation's tri
POSTED: 8/19/10 7:36 PM

HI All-

For anybody who has competed in the Nation's tri, how seriously do they enforce the "no ipods" during the run portion of the race?

Thanks, Cat

dixonm's ravatar dixonm    JOINED: 7/1/09    POSTS: 73
RE: Ipods at the Nation's tri
POSTED: 8/19/10 8:51 PM

I've never seen anybody using an ipod in any triathlon. Maybe in the morning while you're setting up your transition mat, but not during the race. The only races I've ever heard of ipods being allowed are in extreme endurance events such as a 24 hour race.

Matt

asovonick's ravatar asovonick    JOINED: 6/3/09    POSTS: 206
POSTED: 8/19/10 9:09 PM

Aren't triathlons extreme endurance races?

karlaj's ravatar karlaj    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 201
POSTED: 8/19/10 9:56 PM

Please, don't even consider it. While I'm sure there are folks out there using them that never get caught, they do enforce this. -Jason

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 8/19/10 11:57 PM

+1 on not using the iPod/MP3 player. If there's a specific rule, follow it.

I wish MP3 players were banned from most races, including shorter run races. There are way too many people who zone out and go into their own little world during races. With large groups, this can be a real problem when people weave back and forth because they aren't aware of other runners nearby, especially when people are passing.

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 8/20/10 8:20 AM

Aside it being against the rules, but specially with a triathlon as crowded as Nations. It's just plane dangerous. You need to be extremely vigilant while on the bike, because IT IS a mad house. Here is the USAT Rule:

5.8 Illegal Equipment. Any participants who any time uses, wears or carries a headset, radio, headphones, personal audio device, or any other item described in Section 3.4(i) shall be assessed a variable time penalty.

3.4(i) Unauthorized Accessories. No participant shall, at any time during the event, use or wear a hard cast, headset, radio, personal audio device, or any other item deemed dangerous by the Head Referee. Any violation of this Section shall result in a variable time penalty

Just FYI

bad ford's ravatar bad ford    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 184
POSTED: 8/20/10 9:05 AM

What if I just strap my iphone to my bike to watch movies, but don't turn the volume up?

no-e-plz's ravatar no-e-plz    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 43
POSTED: 8/20/10 9:56 AM

Wonder if there are any USAT officials out there but from my experience recently at Luray, some officials are dying to DQ anyone they see with headphones on the run...same goes for fastening the chin strap of your helmet.

KingsPoint2001's ravatar KingsPoint2001    JOINED: 11/2/09    POSTS: 99
POSTED: 8/20/10 10:48 AM

In the tri's I been in and the one's I've watched, I've never seen any ipods on any portion of the race. It's pretty clear in the USAT rules. If they will tag you for drafting, they'll certainly tag you for an ipod.

bad ford's ravatar bad ford    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 184
POSTED: 8/20/10 11:18 AM

But the question was about the run section. I don't know that I've ever seen a USAT official on the run. What would they be looking for, anyway?

Plus, it's just a time penalty. If you have time to put on an ipod before the run, you (like me) are probably not planning on winning.

Still, I think as a club, we always advocate not breaking the rules (if we don't have to).

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 8/20/10 11:47 AM

Why not - not wear a helmut while you're at it -

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria