Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Becoming an 'Ironman' from what? ... nothing.
CREATED: 10/08/10 by piyushdabomb REPLIES: 5
piyushdabomb    JOINED: 5/10/10    POSTS: 84
Becoming an 'Ironman' from what? ... nothing.
POSTED: 10/08/10 12:55 PM

How's everyone doing? Enjoying the awesome fall weather (minus the rain)?

As a current runner and 'somewhat' bike/swim/run combo athlete, late August I signed up for the Canada Subaru IM 2011.

I've never done a tri before and have a few questions for you:

1. Where can I find a 9 month IM plan? I'm running the Richmond marathon in November and so I'm training for setting a PR. Can you help point me to a good plan I can start with? My swimming is essentially non-existent and I have a bike. I went camping with you all and was able to do the 56 mile savage man course (it was death), followed by a half marathon run.

2. Does the DC Tri club have an IM group training season starting up? How does that work? I thought I saw something coming soon, but that was for 2010, not 2011.

3. Anyone signed up for IM in the summer of 2011? Want to buddy up and beat the beast?

4. Where can I find a tri's to sign up for leading up to IM? I've never done a real tri before.

I was going to do Myrtl beach but chickened out because (1) my swimming sucks, and (2) because I was hoping to qualify for the Boston marathon so I focused on running.

Help?

PamS's ravatar PamS    JOINED: 1/26/10    POSTS: 361
RE: Becoming an 'Ironman' from what? ... nothing.
POSTED: 10/08/10 2:48 PM

Hey Piyush,

I'm planning on doing an IM next year too (also did the SM camping trip, yes death lol ) There is supposed to be a 2011 IM program, not sure when it starts though, maybe early spring? But keep an eye out for it. That should help with all of the training, group workouts, races leading up to your IM, etc.

If you're not confident swimming you should def do the swim clinic at American, it's really helpful. and you should join a masters swim team, that's probably the best way to get up to speed with swimming.

See you out there :)
Good Luck!

Pam

gwcrew2000's ravatar gwcrew2000    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 127
POSTED: 10/08/10 3:19 PM

Welcome to the club and to triathlon. The IM Training program will start up late 2010/early 2011.

piyushdabomb    JOINED: 5/10/10    POSTS: 84
POSTED: 10/08/10 3:51 PM

Do you know when exactly? How do I get dates or when can I find out about dates?

I'm out to India/Singapore late November and December, so anything I can prepare myself for this would be great!

karlaj's ravatar karlaj    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 201
POSTED: 10/08/10 5:54 PM

Welcome!
Sounds like you should find a swimming coach. You might contact one of the masters swim programs near you and see if they can recommend someone. Since I don't know where you live, you'll just have to go through the usms.org and find a nearby club. Curl-burke is @ AU, you might give them a shout if that's convenient.
Sounds like a tough road ahead. Good luck,
-Jason

ellenwex's ravatar ellenwex    JOINED: 11/16/09    POSTS: 66
POSTED: 10/09/10 11:34 AM

Piyush!

I was wondering why I didn't run into you at Myrtle... I thought I remembered trying to convince you to sign up :)

Glad to hear you got into Canada! Send me a note offline at ellenwex@gmail.com if you want to chat more!

-Ellen

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria