Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

USAA insurance & bike claims
CREATED: 02/17/12 by wombat REPLIES: 6
wombat's ravatar wombat    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 266
USAA insurance & bike claims
POSTED: 2/17/12 3:13 PM

Has anyone made a bike claim with USAA homeowners or renters insurance? If so, how was your experience? My tri bike was damaged while trying to enter a parking garage and I'm in the process of filing a claim (and awaiting word on whether frame can be repaired or needs replaced). Thanks!

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 459
RE: USAA insurance & bike claims
POSTED: 2/17/12 4:16 PM

USAA is a great company. I never made a claim, but when I was renewing my homeowners policy I did specifically ask about coverage for my bikes. They told me that the bikes were covered under the regular policy and the agent understood how experience bikes are. However you will probably have to pay your deductible.

Let us know how it all works out.

jen_'s ravatar jen_    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 162
POSTED: 2/17/12 5:14 PM

Made a claim a couple years ago when my bike was stolen while locked up right outside of SSPT. I had to send them pics of the bike as well as approximate cost for it and accessories. Check arrived in a couple weeks. I think renters ins went up as a result, but not by much, and it's worth it considering how much crap.. er, awesome stuff I have.

jen

dixonm's ravatar dixonm    JOINED: 7/1/09    POSTS: 73
POSTED: 2/17/12 6:41 PM

We have USAA and I've always found them very easy to work with on claims...I bet your experience is a good one.

Out of curiosity, did you drive into the garage with your bike in an upright holder on the roof rack? I just got a new Yakima roof rack for my car and I KNOW I am going to do this one day...

Matt

LNDP's ravatar LNDP    JOINED: 9/27/11    POSTS: 1
POSTED: 2/17/12 8:51 PM

My bike was stolen out of my buildings bike locker in my 24 hr "Secured" garage in December. I had renters insurance and they covered my bike. I did have to show them a copy of the bike receipt and file a police report but they took my word on the other gear that I had, like clips, seat, repair kit, etc. I have to say they were really fast. I expected delays because of the holidays but my claim manager turned around a direct deposit for the full amount within 48 hours after getting my receipt.

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1768
POSTED: 2/18/12 5:17 PM

When my carbon Scattante was stolen last year, homeowner's insurance paid about 60 percent of the cost of a brand-new replacement bike.

Gato's ravatar Gato    JOINED: 4/25/11    POSTS: 46
POSTED: 2/22/12 9:02 PM

I have USAA. They are great. I bent my frame during a crash and called just to make sure it was not covered which they confirmed. However, I did ask if there was any additional insurance I needed to cover the bike. No need for extra insurance. I specifically asked about my bike being damaged while on the roof rack. If I remember, they said if it was on a rack it would be covered by home owners. If the bike is inside the car and damaged during a car crash, it would be covered by auto insurance. I believe the deductible was going to have to be paid. Good luck. BTW, I hang a tag with a bike pic off of my review mirror when my bike is on roof, just to help remember bike is up there after a long trip. Good luck.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria