Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Whites Ferry Cue Sheet Question
CREATED: 04/25/11 by dsgrunning REPLIES: 4
dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1313
Whites Ferry Cue Sheet Question
POSTED: 4/25/11 11:39 AM

For all of the hard core cyclists out there, has anyone gone past Whites Ferry and into Rt 15 in VA? I have the below cue sheet that I just made. I've ridden most of the roads except the ones on the Virginia side. What about ferry schedule on a Sunday?

If you've done a similar route or have had experience with Rt 15 on the VA side, is it doable? I'm not sure if it's a busy road or not.

The cue sheet below is 100+ miles so you will need to zoom the map a bit :)

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/32604250

Thanks
Tuan

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 966
RE: Whites Ferry Cue Sheet Question
POSTED: 4/25/11 11:49 AM

It's definitely do-able. Rt 15 is a busy road and the shoulders are not that wide, but riding on it shouldn't be bad. I would say it's equivalent to riding on Rt 28.

I don't know the exact working hours of Whites Ferry, but it typically starts around 6AM and goes until 11PM, so definitely during riding hours. And it used to cost $1 to walk on (but that might have gone up in the last year or so).

tycottrill    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 100
POSTED: 4/25/11 12:23 PM

Ten miles on Rt 15 would be terrifying. It has heavy traffic most of the time (especially weekends), lots of trucks/SUVs, is rolling with many curves, and little or no shoulder.

On the other hand, the ferry is pretty fun.

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 459
POSTED: 4/25/11 1:33 PM

I have never biked from White's Ferry into Virginia, but from what I have read on various forum postings Route 15 from Leesburg to Point of Rocks is described as a "nasty, fast, busy, two-lane road". I believe that there is a way to get from White's Ferry to the W&OD trail via Leesburg, which would take us back into DC.

astolz1's ravatar astolz1    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 535
POSTED: 4/26/11 11:34 AM

I've ridden out to Whites Ferry, Taken the Ferry accross and came back via W&OD to Arlington; it's a nice loop.
But if you want to take WF to Pt of rocks, this is from a Leesburg rider:
Recommend avoiding 15. Just not fun/safe.
Best route for clockwise circuit, on VA side is:
Leesburg, W&oD West to PSprings, then up to Waterford, then loyalty rd to taylorstown, taylorstown rd to Lovettsville Rd (turn right there, not left), then follow the river down to pt of rocks.
Note, if you want to add another 90 minutes to your ride, turn left on Lovettsville and cross the Potomac at Brunswick, then head on MD side to pt of rock, then whites ferry.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria