Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Mar 28 Du -- what to expect?
CREATED: 03/23/10 by stivnik REPLIES: 10
stivnik's ravatar stivnik    JOINED: 1/11/10    POSTS: 43
Mar 28 Du -- what to expect?
POSTED: 3/23/10 9:52 PM

Not sure what to expect from the course -- especially the bike leg. I've run 10Ks on Hains Point and know where the hairpin turnaround is, but will the bike be clockwise, counter-clockwise, what???

If anyone has done a training Du at Hains Point, please chime in with likely scenarios - thanks -

Stiv / DC

pgfde121's ravatar pgfde121    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 233
RE: Mar 28 Du -- what to expect?
POSTED: 3/24/10 8:43 AM

Last two events were clockwise, so no reason to expect it'd be different...seems to be the prevailing trend to ride that way. Expect a decent amount of wind depending on the weather report, as someone else mentioned, take the wind speeds and double them, cause its always worse around HP. Otherwise expect some spiritied competition and a good time, Hugh and the rest of the club always does a great job organizing things. Is there a cook out to follow the du?

POSTED: 3/24/10 9:43 PM

I'm hoping wind won't be too much of a factor Sunday, but thanks for the advice. This will be a good opportunity for me to see what DC Tri is all about. If there's any post-event grillin', someone let me know what to bring. Otherwise, we can split some Gu's. Thanks!

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1048
POSTED: 3/24/10 10:59 PM

One thing I do not expect is for Hains Point to be flooded out like the 13th. The run course in one loop each around HP (you make a right at Buckeye). The bike couse is three loops that goes clockwise and heads north on Ohio, then cross the bridge and make a U-turn just before Independence Ave. Then, head back and reconnect with the run course. I'll have a map there to look at.

Post-race BBQ? I didn't give it much thought, but I was thinking maybe after the third duathlon on May 15th.
-Hugh

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 3/25/10 9:35 AM

You can expect a great time and a terrific workout thanks to Hugh's tireless dedication and the incredible spirit of the club volunteers on the course. I'll be out of town. Wish I could be there in any capacity - Have a great time everyone and thanks to a truly wonderful club.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1295
POSTED: 3/25/10 10:08 AM

This is the bike route

Tuan

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1048
POSTED: 3/25/10 3:32 PM

Maureen, thanks for the compliments, but it's all about the volunteers. They are the one's who make it happen. I just boss them around telling them what to do.

And Tuan, thanks for putting up that map. I need to get one of my 5th graders to teach me how to set up a link like that.

POSTED: 3/27/10 8:08 PM

Thanks for all the feedback, especially the map. I was just down there late this afternoon and the Cherry Blossom traffic was thick. Hoping it will be quieter in the early morning. Ohio Drive is one way (northbound) above the tidal basin bridge by the Jefferson Memorial.

Steve

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1745
POSTED: 3/28/10 2:25 PM

Expect to dodge hordes of directionally clueless drivers and blossom-addled tourists holding maps up to the windshield as they turn, many going the wrong way on one-lane roads. :)

mspector87's ravatar mspector87    JOINED: 1/15/10    POSTS: 16
POSTED: 3/28/10 3:04 PM

Anyone know when times will be posted?

POSTED: 3/28/10 4:15 PM

Hugh said they would be up in a few days... stay tuned.

Very impressive turnout for both contestants and tourists. Kudos to Hugh and all the volunteers for staging a great event despite numerous logistical hurdles. With more notice, we could have added a swim leg to the event, too ;-)

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria