Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

gunston manor ows on sunday
CREATED: 05/29/09 by ashleynellis1 REPLIES: 23
nicoleshue's ravatar nicoleshue    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 136
RE: gunston manor ows on sunday
POSTED: 6/04/09 10:00 AM

PLEASE, please, check the "EVENTS" portion of the website. That is where I've posted all the OWS for the summer.

So, yes, to answer your question, YES, the Gunston Manor swim is happening, this Sunday June 7th.

Also check www.usopenwater.org or contact Denis Crean 301-455-4341 or Denis@usopenwater.org or
Margaret Connor 703-786-1773 or mconnor@usopenwater.org
for the latest information.

And here's the sked for the rest of the summer:

JUNE

Sunday, June 7th
Gunston Manor: Pre Chesapeake Bay Swim
Gunston Manor, VA: Two one Hour Sessions 7:30 – 8:30am; 8:45– 9:45am.
Cost: $10.00 per swim; $20.00 clinic and swim.

Please see www.usopenwater.org

Saturday, June 20th
Gunston Manor: (see June 7) TEAM Z will be there. Large number of swimmers in first session.

JULY
Saturday, July 11
Gunston Manor: (see June 7)

Saturday, July 25

AUGUST
Saturday, August 8
Luray, Virginia: Please see www.enduranceworks.net

SEPTEMBER
Saturday, September 12

OCTOBER
Sunday, October 18

rcole's ravatar rcole    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 50
POSTED: 6/08/09 1:14 PM

Can anyone tell me how this went? The pros/cons? I was contemplating the one in July...
Thanks!

ryan's ravatar ryan    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 15
POSTED: 6/09/09 9:15 AM

The swim at Mason Neck (Gunston Manor) was good. The water temp was perfect and although the visibility wasn’t much, sighting on the kayaks/buoys was easy. The only downside is the water grass (not that that is a bad thing – just not great for swimming) The Hydrilla wasn’t bad, and wasn’t an issue once you got further out, but I am not a fan of running into stuff in the water. Just knowing it is there (and knowing it is good for the water) helps lessen the 'what was that!' factor.

I would also recommend bringing your running shoes (or your bike) and grab a brick while you are in a more rural setting. The Mason neck national wildlife refuge is right down the road and makes a nice run. It can also make for a nice ride if you are only looking for a short ride. Gunston road is nice, but traffic is 50+ mph without much of a shoulder –Old Colchester is less traveled, so you can make a moderately low-stress ride out of it.

I would certainly recommend one of these swims if you are preparing for a race.

mccannjl's ravatar mccannjl    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 216
POSTED: 6/09/09 9:17 AM

Great info, thanks!

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria