Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

2012 Board Nominations
CREATED: 11/10/11 by gwcrew2000 REPLIES: 16
gwcrew2000's ravatar gwcrew2000    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 127
2012 Board Nominations
POSTED: 11/10/11 1:10 PM

The DC Triathlon Club is seeking motivated candidates for our 2012 Board of Directors. This was a great year for the DC Triathlon Club and this is your opportunity to make 2012 even better. We encourage all interested candidates to nominate themselves for Board membership, and a Club-wide vote will determine the composition of the 10-member Board.

Here are the guidelines for those Club members who would like to run for a Board position:

• You must be a paid member for the 12-month period prior to elections, or receive a unanimous vote from the current Board, to be eligible to run.
  • You should expect to serve a two-year term on the Board. Starting in 2012, the election will be staggered so that only half of the Board will turn over each year. For 2012, the Board will determine the term length of each member (one or two years) at their first Board meeting.
  • You should expect to commit 5-10 hours per week for Club duties as well as participate in a mandatory monthly Board meeting.

If you would like to nominate yourself, please post here and let us know why you are a good candidate (e.g., what you have done for the Club, relevant experience that will help to make you an effective Board member, what you would like to see happen in 2012). You must post by 11:59 pm on November 24th if you would like to be considered. Responses to this thread should only be to announce yourself as a candidate. Please send any questions to president@dctriclub.org.

Elections will be held via electronic ballot from November 25th through December 1st.

Stephen Carlson
2011 DC Triathlon Club President

rtroll's ravatar rtroll    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 504
RE: 2012 Board Nominations
POSTED: 11/12/11 3:39 PM

Hello DC Tri -

Ryan Troll here and I'm asking for your vote to be re-elected to the 2012 Board.

2011 was a very successful year for the club. We welcomed many new members, expanded our programs, introduced new benefits, offered more member events and the list goes on. I've been honored to be a part of our club's leadership team, serving in the capacity of Partnerships & Gear Director and a NTP co-leader

Contributions I've made in 2011:

- New Triathlete Program: In 2011 we expanded the program and signed up a record 185 members. There is a phenomenal team behind this program (Travis, Will, Bryan, Sandy, Pam, Katie, Rachel and Casey)

- Masters Swim Program: Developed and launched the program. Shout out to our awesome program leaders who stepped up to run this program - Catherine and Julianne

- Club Partnerships: Introduced 6 new partnerships (WaveOne, SetUp Events, PacificHealth Labs, Yoga Fusion Studio, PowerTri.com and Rudy Project) while expanding existing relationships. Established MOU's with all of our partners (i.e. we're holding them accountable)

- Club Awards: Secured over $12K in "Value-In-Kind" (SWAG & awards) from our partners and awarded to over 165 members.

- Marketing: Developed marketing collateral for the club to distribute at expos and events

- Membership Promotions: Designed and launched 2 membership promotions (Jet Blue Give-A-Way at DC Triathlon expo and $25 membership at Nation's Triathlon expo)

- Expo Presence Coordinated and managed our presence at the DC Triathlon expo and the Nation's Triathlon expo. Shout out to all the wonderful volunteers who stepped up to "man" the tent at these expos!

- Champion System Direct Buy: Worked closely with gear team to launch the direct buy option with Champion System. Kudos goes out to Karen and Andy who are the unsung heroes behind gear management and distribution.

2012 Agenda:

- Introduce a more structured partnership program
- Evolve club operations
- Expand NTP to 2 classes
- Grow the club's swim program
- Secure funding/partnerships to support the launch of a Youth Program
- Secure $15K VIK for club awards and give-a-ways

Thank you for your consideration (and hopefully your vote)!

Ryan

denaindc's ravatar denaindc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 148
POSTED: 11/15/11 2:13 PM

It’s going to be hard to follow Ryan’s post.

I have been a member of DC Tri for three year. The first year I was a member of NTP and this past year I joined the DC Tri IM Program. Along the way I have gotten a lot from the club from structured programs to unofficial mentors (not to mention all the friendships) which helped me fulfill my dream of completing my fist ironman. Now I feel I am ready to give back for all the help I have gotten.

There is a lot of knowledge in the club. The way to access that knowledge right now is to post on the forum and hope the right people see it. I’d like to create a list of coaches and products DC Tri veterans tried and liked.

I hope you will vote for me to be on the board.
Dena

agardner's ravatar agardner    JOINED: 6/1/10    POSTS: 12
POSTED: 11/17/11 1:27 PM

I can bench press several hundred pounds.
Please consider this my official announcement of my candidacy for the 2012 Board of Directors.
Aaron Gardner

abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
POSTED: 11/19/11 6:43 PM

Hello DC Tri!

Abby Sanford here, asking for your vote to re-elect me to the Board of Directors for 2012. It has been my pleasure and my honor to serve the club on the Board for 2011, and I would be thrilled to continue to serve.

You might know me as the person who harangued you to race at USAT Mid-Atlantic Regional or National Championships in Richmond and Myrtle Beach. You might know me as the person who coordinated the Brick Nics. You might have seen me at training rides or happy hours.

You probably don't know all the "behind the scenes" efforts that Board Members do. Personally, I worked to reward and encourage some of our weekly training leaders to keep doing what they do.

What I hope that you know without question is that I will do whatever it takes to support this club and try to meet the needs and requests of our members.

Goals for 2012:

#1: Member Directory. The best thing that we have going for our club is the fact that--if we can find each other--you most likely never have to train alone! Yes, triathlon is an individual sport, but having each other around to train with and cheer for makes triathlon even more rewarding!

#2: Reaching to the depth and breadth of our membership. We rock the 25-45 AGs, and we will absolutely continue to serve that demographic. With over 1100 members, there is a significant number of us that have different needs. Things like babysitting and carpooling could help involve other members of our club.

#3: Rah Rah. One of the things I lobbied for pretty heavily this year was gear that we could wear just to show club pride. Come to the annual meeting to buy some! Being a triathlete is pretty awesome, and we should be proud to show our colors. Buy a hoodie. :)

I thank you for the honor of electing me last year and I ask for your vote for 2012.

-- Abby Sanford

POSTED: 11/23/11 8:14 AM

A reminder to get your nominations in by tomorrow night

nelsb7p0's ravatar nelsb7p0    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 428
POSTED: 11/23/11 1:12 PM

I think many of you know me from participating in club workouts or club training races, but I've been an active club member for the last 5 years and recently became more involved as a co-leader for the Half Ironman Program. I've seen dramatic changes for the better over the last few years and I would like to continue to build on those improvements, specifically in the area of training and clinics - for all club members of all abilities and experience.

Here are just a few potential ideas that I would like to implement:

• Setup a classification system for group training events similar to how Setup Events classifies races (i.e. Difficulty-Course Type-Pace: Easy-Flat-20mph+, Moderate-Rolling-15/18mph, etc.)
  • Monthly or bi-weekly triathlon clinics open to all club members (via a registration process such Eventbrite) in Md/NoVA/DC (realize that this is already done to an extent by Club partners, but this would be formalizing the schedule and on a regular basis)
  • Mentoring sessions for new club members (specifically those not participating in NTP) to link up with seasoned club members for advice
  • Use a timing system such as Race Splitter to help with timing for training events

Thanks for your consideration!
-Brady Nelson

astolz1's ravatar astolz1    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 489
POSTED: 11/23/11 2:25 PM

Well, after racing about 4 years of triathlon now and getting much out of this club, I feel it’s time to step up and give back.

I’d like to keep the ball rolling and focus on the wants and needs of the majority of you. With this club being one of the biggest in the nation, it can be difficult to manage but I feel that I can make significant contributions in developing the club and using our size to our advantage. Training, racing, drinking, learning, improving and having fun… there are plenty of opportunities and making them accessible and inviting to all of you would be one of my goals. The variety of abilities in the club is very diverse but we all share triathlon as our common bond.

There are some great ideas on this thread; those that have been implemented and those that have yet to come to fruition. I’d like to narrow in on the programs that work best through user feedback. I’ve heard that being on the board is a fair amount of work and a time commitment. Hopefully, many of you realize this and appreciate it. I’m throwing my name on the ballot aware of this obligation and am willing to give up my free time to ensure you fully enjoy the multi-sport lifestyle this coming year and beyond.
Thanks in advance for your consideration and vote
- Adam Stolzberg

ballstoncyclist's ravatar ballstoncyclist    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 492
POSTED: 11/23/11 2:32 PM

I’ve been a member of the club for about five years and I give 100% credit to the DC Tri Club for turning me from an accidental, one-time triathlete to a lifestyle triathlete. So to give back to this great club, please consider me for the 2012 Board.

If elected, I would work to increase the club’s visibility in regional and national events by having a more coordinated effort for participating in the mid-Atlantic and national club championships. We have the talent; we just need to maximize participation. I think this could be done through smarter participation and an incentive program for members that represent the club.

I also believe that we need to expand recruitment of new members beyond the NTP program, and streamline the membership management process. I think we could have different membership options, such as a 2-year membership option (like USAT has), student, family, corporate, etc.

Thank you for your consideration.
Alejandro Escobar

courtr26's ravatar courtr26    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 117
POSTED: 11/24/11 10:11 AM

Hi fellow DC Tri Members,

I am your current Programs Coordinator for the Board (Courtney Fulton) and I’m putting my name in for the running for the 2012 Board. Being on the Board has opened up my eyes to a whole other side of DC Tri. There’s a lot of work that the Board does and I have a whole new appreciation for all the programs, trainings, coordination and everything else that goes into making this club run and be the best tri club there is! I have seen so many great things develop from this year’s Board and it has been an honor to be a part of it and get to work with so many driven, dedicated people. There are so many new ideas already forming for 2012 and I hope I can continue to be a part of helping put these ideas into place.

As Program Coordinator, I do a lot of behind the scenes coordinating. I’ve seen what works, what doesn’t and hope to keep improving and growing our programs in 2012. As Program Coordinator I was the main contact for the Board and members for the half Ironman, Ironman, and Olympic Distance Training Program. I helped find program coordinators for each program and set up meetings with each program to divide up coordinator responsibilities; worked with coordinators and our partners on setting up clinics; marketed all programs; and have constant communication with each program coach to make sure things run smoothly.

As Program Coordinator I was in charge of the DC Tri Elite Team. I was provided a unique opportunity of being on the team and helping with the team coordination. My responsibilities for the team included: administration details for the team; motivating the team and sending out messages to the team about team members’ upcoming races; posted bios and race reports for each team member on the website; and coordinated with Bart from Snapple and a few other Board members from DC Tri to help with the formation of the 2012 DC Tri Snapple Team.

I am already in the process of getting the 2012 programs organized and hope to be able to continue with this. One of the things I’d like to work on for 2012 is the continued growth of the training programs. Our club is so large so it can be hard to have a program that fits everyone’s needs, but I feel that all of our programs will continue to grow and there will be something for everyone.

Here are some things I’d like to do in 2012 if elected again:

•Help with the implementation of the 2nd NTP program and continue to learn from the NTP coordinators what makes that program work. The NTP coordinators have done a tremendous job with this program and it really is a model program.
•Find two main dedicated program coordinators to help with the half and full Ironman program (two for each program); come up with coordinator descriptions; continue to reward coordinators for their hard work
•Work with coaches and coordinators to make sure communication is getting out about the programs including newsletters, forum use, group workouts
•Continue to work on a speed development program that the 2011 Board has started to discuss – this would replace the Olympic Distance program and will be a work-in-progress in 2012
•Continue to work with coaches to develop a plan that can be available for members to purchase for the Olympic Distance
•Get a compiled list of qualified coaches so we have that available for the members
•Continue to work with Bart from Snapple with the coordination of the DC Tri Snapple Team; I’m currently working with a designer who is helping combine the kits for the team. He has come up with some great ideas for kits that I’d love to present to the Board that may be a possibility to use for the entire club. This would also include a change in the DC Tri logo which is something that would require a lot of discussions and feedback from the club as a whole. I feel there are some great things that we can do with the DC Tri logo/kits.

I hope to get your vote! Thank you for reading and Happy Thanksgiving!

Courtney

POSTED: 11/24/11 10:33 PM

Hello DC Tri Club,

I am Steve Carlson and I have had the pleasure of serving the past two years on the Board of Directors, this past year being the Club's President and I would like to run again and for the 2012 Board.

Being on the Board for the past two years I have learned a great deal about how the club operates and what it will take to become the best club in the country.

For 2012 there are many things I would like to see come to fruition, but the main two are:
1. A Youth Program- while many of us fall in the 25-40 and single demographic, I feel that the Club can be a great asset to the sport as a whole by exposing and engaging the local youth to the sport we all have come to love.
2. Seminars & Clinics- The club has offered some great and well attended seminars and clinics and I feel we can expand upon those clinics/seminars in frequency and subject matter such as injury prevention or technology in triathlon (power meters, HR monitors, etc).

Serving on the Board these past two years has been a pleasure and with your vote I would very much like to continue giving back to the Club.

POSTED: 11/25/11 11:59 PM

Due to the original deadline falling on a holiday, the Board has decided to extend the nomination period for the 2012 Board of Directors. The extended deadline is Monday November 28th at 5:00PM.

pserfass's ravatar pserfass    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 432
POSTED: 11/27/11 9:03 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm Patrick Serfass and I would love to have your vote to serve you on the 2012 Board of Directors. I've been your Treasurer for the last couple years, been fortunate to race on the Elite team (now DC Tri-Snapple) and have been a member of the club since its formative days in 2002. I've been racing triathlons since high school in the mid '90s (EVERYONE wore speedos then) and manage non-profit organizations to support renewable energy during the day. I'm also a new parent (he turns 1 at Christmas) so spent the last year trying to figure out the parent-spouse-work-triathlon-everything else balance. I'm all ears if you've got some ideas on new activities or features (babysitters?) to help you stay active.

Here are some of the things I bring to the Board and would like to do this year:

+ continue to manage and grow DC Tri's financial assets as your Treasurer to be able to put those resources back into the club, adding more programs and benefits for you, our members. Last year, we grew by about 20% and added more programs and this year, it looks like we're on track to surpass that

+ increase the support earmarked for our social events and training events like bric-nics and training triathlons and duathlons

+ increase the number of DC Tri workout leaders who will lead regular workouts in different parts of DC and the metro area

+ expand the hallmark New Triathlete Program to welcome even more new athletes into our sport than we have before with this program that always sells out

+ offer better support and perks to our dedicated volunteers who run DC Tri's many programs and events

+ expand our coached training programs for those who already have a year or two under your belt and are looking to explore a new distance

+ expand the offerings to our most competitive athletes so we can both offer something to them and create a way for them to share knowledge with members who are looking to become more competitive

I hope you'll give me your vote.
-Patrick

JayC101's ravatar JayC101    JOINED: 2/27/11    POSTS: 105
POSTED: 11/27/11 11:20 PM

Hello,

My name is Jay Cochran and I only joined the club this past year, in fact I only started doing triathlons this past year. Since then, I have already completed my first Ironman, Half Ironman and a number of Olympic Distance Triathlons. I also have volunteered at several events such as the DC and Nations triathlon. I only list these accomplishments as a demonstration of my dedication to completing something once I decide to take it on. I also own and run a successful business that involves a network of media websites. I state this again to demonstrate my determination, and also because in my line of work I work on websites and I have become very good at promoting them and building an audience, which are skills I think will come in handy for the Club.

Now unless you are part of the Montgomery County division of the club, you may not have ever met or heard of me and that is one of the reasons why I would like to be considered for a board position. I feel those of us who live outside of DC in the metropolitan area need more of a voice in the club and that we should look at ways to provide more social and training opportunities for people who who live outside of DC. I think there is a lot of potential to reach new members in the metropolitan area and get them more engaged with the club, and I would like to help explore ways of doing that.

I am interested in representing members from Montgomery County and across the metropolitan area as well as further the overall goals of the club itself as a member of the DC Triathlon Board.

Sincerely,

Jay Cochran

afava's ravatar afava    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 257
POSTED: 11/28/11 11:33 AM

Hello,

I am Andrea Fava and look forward to the opportunity to serve you as a member of the 2012 Board.

I joined the Club in 2009 soon after moving to DC. I have participated in both the NTP and Half Ironman Programs. The Columbia Brick-Nic and Deep Creek Lake weekend are my favorite Club events, and I love training, racing, and volunteering with you all throughout the year. I would be honored to serve on the Board this year and have the opportunity to give back to our Club in a more structured way.

If elected to the Board, priorities would include:

- Early race identification: improve identification and communication of races where we will have strong Club presence. It is a priority for many of us to race with our teammates. I would like to explore earlier communication of featured races to facilitate annual race planning.

- Training weekends: I would be happy to take on coordination of our annual Deep Creek Lake training/camping weekend. This year, I arranged for dinner at a local brewery (no more long waits for our hungry triathletes) and initiated the Ice Cream Recovery Ride as a new addition to our itinerary. I would like to discuss adding a Spring training/camping trip to our calendar.

- Implement, implement, implement: I will roll up my sleeves and do the behind the scenes work needed to keep our club running smoothly.

Thanks for your consideration and your vote!

Andrea Fava

ajulia's ravatar ajulia    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 145
POSTED: 11/28/11 4:59 PM

Hi Everyone,

I’m Julia Nagy, and I’d like to introduce my candidacy for the DC Tri Club Board in 2012.

DC Tri is very special to me. I joined the club in 2008 as a member of the New Triathlete Program, and immediately found the sense of community I had been craving in DC. After (predictably) getting hooked in one season, I became a co-leader of NTP for two years and a regular volunteer at events like club time trials and local races. Now I hope for a chance to represent you all and show the region and the country what DC Tri can do.

While I’m interested in helping the club prosper in any way possible, here are my priorities:

- Communications. As a major presence in the DC area, I think the club has a responsibility to represent cyclists, runners and swimmers positively to our neighbors who are not triathletes (yet). Professionally, I have 6+ years of experience in cause-related public relations, which makes me a natural evangelist for the club. I work every day with nonprofits and corporations to help them create communications plans for social campaigns. I am comfortable writing media materials, building partnerships and serving as a campaign spokesperson with reporters and the public. All of these are skills that I’d like to use to help DC Tri maintain a strong, positive reputation in the community and, when possible, in national media.

-Service. DC Tri is not just a large tri club – it’s a large group of people, period, and we rely on a lot of local resources to train and gather together. Due to our sheer numbers, we have a great opportunity to give something back to the community and environment through a small contribution of time. I would be interested in organizing a community service initiative that connects club members with clear, fun volunteering events that benefit DC (and can double as cross-training).

-Transportation. On a personal note, I am not a car-owner and understand the challenges of trying to get to workouts via bus and bike trail. I appreciate the effort to keep club events and activities Metro-accessible, but I know that some traditional club events (Columbia Bric-Nic, Savageman training weekend, Lake Anna swims) take us outside the city. I would like to see the club continue to explore options for organized group transportation to far-away places, possibly to include a formal incentive system for ride sharing.

What I love most about triathlon, and the club in particular, is how it makes us all addicted to humility. No one is perfect in all three sports, but instead of sticking to our comfort zones, we constantly risk failure (and injury and bankruptcy) to see what we are capable of. The powerful sense of community created by DC Tri reinforces for me that it’s a good way to live.

I’m proud to be a member of this community, and would love the opportunity to serve you on the board.

Thank you and see you on the trail!

Julia

sandyc's ravatar sandyc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 288
POSTED: 11/28/11 5:14 PM

The nomination period for the 2012 Board of Directors has now closed. Ballots will be sent out shortly to all active members (to the email address on file in your membership profile). The ballot will include all of those who posted with the following exceptions:
- Jay Cochran, who was not eligible because of the 1 full year -membership requirement
- Aaron Gardner, who withdrew his nomination.

Sandy Chiang
Secretary & Membership, DC Tri Club

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria