Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Best tri-bike ride in DC Metro Area
CREATED: 07/01/10 by slowtwitchva REPLIES: 4
slowtwitchva's ravatar slowtwitchva    JOINED: 2/18/10    POSTS: 200
Best tri-bike ride in DC Metro Area
POSTED: 7/01/10 3:46 PM

Just wondering what the best routes are for cycle training on a tri bike. I usually just hit up haines point, but the road is closed and I'm interested in alternatives. I live in Rosslyn and and try to avoid the custis/W&OD trails inside the beltways since they are usually a death-wish. Any good rural open roads I can ride? I am willing to drive up to an hour for a nice stretch of open road...

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
RE: Best tri-bike ride in DC Metro Area
POSTED: 7/01/10 3:59 PM

Oh, where to start...

During the week you can do the Arlington hills loop, or hit McCarthur/River road outside of rush hour periods.

For bigger rides, you can head out to Marshall, VA and do Mt. Weather or drive out rt. 50 towards Davidsonville, MD. Both are about an hour drive depending on traffic. Or do an out and back in Shenandoah National Park.

Check bikely.com or mapmyride for cue sheets.

Cheers,
Andy

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1028
POSTED: 7/01/10 4:07 PM

Also, check BikeWashington.com

There is a bike route from the Greenbelt metro station to Sandy Point. I agree with Andy that the Davidsonville area is great for riding. Check www.annapolisbicycleclub.com or org. not sure which one.

asovonick's ravatar asovonick    JOINED: 6/3/09    POSTS: 196
POSTED: 7/01/10 4:44 PM

If you go further up River Road from where Andy mentioned, you'll end up in Poolesville, which is a good area with lots of awesome hills and not many cars. Germantown area isn't bad either, starting from the Germantown Recreation Park.

And also, Beach Drive on weekends is closed to traffic and even on the open-to-traffic sections, there aren't many cars. But you probably knew that already.

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1653
POSTED: 7/01/10 11:34 PM

The course for the Bay Country Century is within that range. It rolls through low-traffic rolling hills before descending into scenic shoreline. Here's the route, if you want to do it yourself at any time:

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/md/owings/121542403659

Some of us have also gone east from around the town of Accokeek near Fort Washington, just south of southeast DC. There's a number of possibilities:

http://www.bikely.com/listpaths/country/254/region/142/city/13888

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria