Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

2011 Club Award Nominations
CREATED: 11/10/11 by gwcrew2000 REPLIES: 16
gwcrew2000's ravatar gwcrew2000    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 127
2011 Club Award Nominations
POSTED: 11/10/11 5:14 PM

The Club is now accepting nominations for the following awards:

1. Volunteer of the Year
2. Spirit of DC Tri (cheers everyone on, wears DC Tri, etc.)
3. Club Member of the Year (someone who represents the Club as a whole)
4. Most Improved (m/f)
5. Rookie of the Year (m/f) (their first year doing triathlon)
6. Veteran Athlete of the Year (m/f) (not their first year doing triathlon)

If you would like to nominate someone for one of these categories, please do so below. Nominees must be paid Club members. The nominees will be included on the ballot with the Board of Directors elections and the winners will be announced at the annual meeting on December 10th. Please submit all nominations by November 24th.

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1769
RE: 2011 Club Award Nominations
POSTED: 11/11/11 10:07 PM

Well, to kick it off, by mentioning a few of many:

6. Kevin D'Amanda year in year out puts out fast, gritty performances. Liz Carroll did bricks on the Culpeper Century course. Barbara Fitchman. Bryan Frank.
5. Holli Finneren medaled at Nation's Tri. Is Bill Goodrich (c. 10:30 IM) a rookie?--doesn't look like one.
4. Adam Stolzberg, Deana Richardson, Hillary Peabody, Jenny Leehy; Travis Siehndel got faster at Cath pool, MacArthur rides, trail runs; Ellen W, Anna McG, Hillary P improved, were already fast as rookies...
3. Courtney Fulton left everything on the playing field; Stephanie Ewert is real fast and does cool charity stuff. All the quick guys: Ben Winterroth, Luke Holman, Peter Nguyen, Andy Sovonick, Zach Britton and his training diaries, Blatecky planting club colors on Mt. McKinley ridges; Lindsey Jerdonek & Phil Schmidt; many others...
2 and 1. Carrie Campbell has done vol manager for Nation's Tri and Wash DC Tri like 2 years straight and plus running B group rides. Tuan's PeasantMan and Sunday ride & marathon groups. Adriana Anderson did 4:30 MCM 6 months pregnant; Matt Anderson keeps up with Adriana. Denis Crean set up Natl Harbor Potomac River and Wilson High swims. Elaine Wong supervised fast-growing Montgomery Cty group. Hhugh Harris coordinating countless training races. The NTP coordinators.
Also: Olwen Huxley medaled very high in Wash, DC/Nation's, qualified long for Kona. Dave Venables and his Saharan multi-marathon. Best vocal chords, and best hands for sending out evites: Abby. Jimmy Biese did a 400-mi ride.....

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1312
POSTED: 11/12/11 9:57 AM

1. Volunteer of the Year
>>> Hugh Harris. Training tri/dual/swim/TT don't happen without Hugh

>>> Abby Sanford. She's the closest thing to a DCTri cheerleading team.

>>> Ed Moser - have you been to an event where he's not at? Who is more of a face for DCTri? Who does more for the club? Who participates in training event, volunteer activities, and social activities more than Ed?

4. Most Improved (m/f)
>>> Female: Pam Simmonds. NTP one year. Ironman the next.

>>> Male: Bill Goodrich. Never done a tri one year, 10:30 Ironman the next.

>>> Female: Catharine Myung. From NTP to co-organizing the DCTri masters swim program all in the SAME year ... this year. Volunteers at a bunch of events. Also one of the most active rookie posters on this forum. What female rookie has done more for the club this year?

>>> Male: Trevor Albert. Every volunteer activity I'm at, he's at. Also took it upon himself to organize the Lake Anna training campS. What male rookie has done more for the club this year?

>>> Female: Courtney Fulton. Posted some spectacular numbers this year from the short distance to Ironman distance. PeasantMan War Council member, DCTri Elite Team member, DCTri program coordinator, and DCTri board member. Sings the National Anthem at a bunch of events around the area, including the Nations' Tri. Is there anything that she does not do?

>>> Male: Ed already took my go to guy ... Kevin D'Amanda. 49 years old and 2:50 marathoner. I'd like to see some of the younger pups in this club post that kind of number. Very active on this forum, training events, and social events. Always encourages and supportive of people at those events and at races. Oh, just for kicks, completed an Ironman this year.

Tuan

markhakd's ravatar markhakd    JOINED: 10/8/09    POSTS: 223
POSTED: 11/12/11 12:16 PM

1. Volunteer of the Year: Ryan Troll. I have watched him work tirelessly as a Board member to create and improve partnerships, set up the new Masters program, gather donated items for events, help to plan the annual meeting, staff pretty much every event we hosted, and the list goes on. Besides that, he has been (and continues to be) a driving force behind the NTP program.

2. Spirit of DC Tri: AJ Morrison. She has been dedicated to DC Tri for many years, she is a coach and mentor to many, and represents us on the Elite Team. She even raced Myrtle Beach with a fractured pelvis because she was committed to racing for us in the Club Championship.

3. Club Member of the Year: Travis Siehndel. Helps to run NTP, leads training groups, volunteers at many events, advocates for us with WSEM, helps the Board, races in our colors, he's on the forum all the time, etc. He is basically involved with every single aspect of the club and is always there for us when we need him.

6. Veteran Athlete of the Year (M): Ben Winterroth. Won age group nationals in the M30-34 age group, and went sub-9:30 at Kona.

6. Veteran Athlete of the Year (F): Stephanie Ewert. Placed in the top 3 overall multiple times this year, while still guiding a blind triathlete on the side (instead of using that time to focus on her own racing).

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1059
POSTED: 11/12/11 7:45 PM

Okay, I feel that I really need to chime in on this one. I pretty much spent a good amount of my work hours yesterday looking at this.

Volunteer of the Year: Bryan Frank........this guy has been helping me out at the training tris and the club water stop for Nations. We gotta give him some props.

Spirit of DC Tri: Ed Moser...........every time I turn around he is there. No matter what the event is. Ed's heart and sole bleeds the club.

Club Member of the Year..........Abby Sanford.....hands down...she promote the club is so many ways. She gets my vote x2.

Most Improved..........Male....Bill Goodrich.......no question....Female.........I have Ellen Wexler....sub 5hr at the Half Max? Amazing

Rookie of the Year.......Male????? sorry, I am out of this picture.... Female.....Holli Finneran.....without a doubt. She crushed it this year in the shorter events. She has so much potential.

Veteran of the Year.........Male......Luke Holman/Patrick Serfass/Andy Blatecky...hard to decide..........Female.....Courtney Fulton....What a year she has had!

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
POSTED: 11/14/11 7:09 AM

I don't think I mentioned any new names here, but some are for different categories.

1. Volunteer of the Year: Ryan Troll. Really. I see this guy everywhere. Can someone tell him to stay home occasionally?

2. Spirit of DC Tri: Tuan/Hugh/Ed. I have to imagine one of them has won this award by now, so I nominate whichever hasn't...or all three.

3. Club Member of the Year: Abby. Like Ryan, she's everywhere. Whatever she's on to be that excited about DC Tri all the time, I want some.

5. Rookie Female of the Year: Holli. Don't know many of the rookies, but see her at Wilson and saw her at Giant Acorn. Didn't even realize she was a rook.

6. Veteran Athlete of the Year (M): Ben Winterroth.

6. Veteran Athlete of the Year (F): Stephanie Ewert.

abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
POSTED: 11/14/11 11:42 AM

I love this stuff!! It's the best part about the off-season. :)

Rookie of the Year Female: Holli Finnaren
Rookie of the Year Male: Trevor Albert
Volunteer of the Year: Ryan Troll, Karen Willard
Most Improved Male: Bill Goodrich
Most Improved Female: Pam Simmonds

Rah rah DC Tri!
--Abby

JHJ20012's ravatar JHJ20012    JOINED: 2/1/10    POSTS: 174
POSTED: 11/15/11 2:11 PM

One more for most improved female: Karly Decker, who in two short years went from NTPer to qualifying for age group nationals with a 1st place finish in her age group at the DC Tri this summer.

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 964
POSTED: 11/20/11 2:51 PM

1. Volunteer of the Year: Sandy Chiang - does so much behind the scenes and gets little appreciation
2. Spirit of DC Tri: Andrew Sovonick - he knows why. Too bad he can't like this post. :::^)::
3. Club Member of the Year: Alejandro Escobar - took one to the... well, you can read about that in his race report... and still finished IMLP. That's perseverance and dedication. That's what Ironman is about. That's what triathlon is about. That's what this club is about. :::^)::
4. Most Improved:
m: Bill Goodrich - I had no idea the guy was going to do a mid 10 hr Ironman. Holy crap!
f: Ellen Wexler - kicked some butt at Myrtle Beach on a windy course
5. Rookie of the Year:
m: Jim English - NTP 2011, then surprised all the Co-Leaders by finishing an Ironman 6 weeks after his first triathlon
f: Anh Nguyen - NTP 2011, went from causing a whole troop of boy scouts to be moved to the other end of a pool so a lifeguard could focus on her to finishing her first triathlon.
6. Veteran Athlete of the Year:
m: Ben Winterroth - self explanatory, guy is FAST
f: Stephanie Ewert - also self explanatory, she is FASSTT

POSTED: 11/23/11 8:15 AM

A reminder to get your nominations in by tomorrow night.

ballstoncyclist's ravatar ballstoncyclist    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 495
POSTED: 11/23/11 9:55 AM

1. Volunteer of the Year: Bryan Frank (water stops, NTP’s million clinics)

2. Spirit of DC Tri (cheers everyone on, wears DC Tri, etc.): Pam Simmonds

3. Club Member of the Year (someone who represents the Club as a whole): Stephanie Ewert (she’s fast, she’s nice, she cheers while working out-remember the national marathon-, she volunteers, and she guides blind triathlete. Now that I think about it, we should check if she has a clone)

4. Most Improved (m/f): M; Jason Brez (not just because he was my mentee, but this guy put the hour to go from NTP to half IM with incredible time improvements)

6. Veteran Athlete of the Year (m/f) (not their first year doing triathlon): F: Janie Hayes (She placed on sprints, olys, half and qualified for Kona,and always wearing DC tri kit)

asovonick's ravatar asovonick    JOINED: 6/3/09    POSTS: 205
POSTED: 11/23/11 9:59 AM

1. Volunteer of the Year -- BRYAN FRANK
2. Spirit of DC Tri (cheers everyone on, wears DC Tri, etc.) -- BRYAN FRANK
3. Club Member of the Year (someone who represents the Club as a whole) -- BRYAN FRANK
4. Most Improved (m/f) -- BRYAN FRANK / STEPHANIE EWERT
5. Rookie of the Year (m/f) (their first year doing triathlon) -- Don't know any rookies, I don't think, so BRYAN FRANK / SANDY CHIANG for being Ironman rookies
6. Veteran Athlete of the Year (m/f) (not their first year doing triathlon) -- LINDSEY JERDONEK / MATIAS PALAVECINO

Bryan Frank is the man, indeed.

Luke's ravatar Luke    JOINED: 11/28/10    POSTS: 369
POSTED: 11/23/11 2:44 PM

Volunteer of the Year - ABBY SANFORD
DC Tri won the club regional championship and placed 2nd at the national championship due in large part to Abby’s organizational effort at both races. She got a HUGE turnout at both races (over 100 at regionals in Richmond and about 50 at nationals in Myrtle Beach), and organized great team events when we were there.

Spirit of DC Tri - ED MOSER
Nobody writes a more entertaining piece than Ed. He is always on top of tri-related news, keeping us informed of what’s going on. He's always fun to be around at races, training rides, happy hours, and anywhere where 2 or 3 DC Triclub people gather together!

Club Member of the Year - RYAN TROLL
Ryan is the nicest guy you'll ever meet… and also one of the most knowledgeable. He’s does a ton of volunteer work for the club, but still manages to clock some pretty fast times!

Most Improved (m/f) – CJ CROSS & ELLEN WEXLER
CJ dropped a ton of time on his run this year, bringing his half marathon time from a 1:30 down to a 1:23. He has also coached several athletes to Boston Qualifiers, and he does a lot of volunteer work for Back On My Feet.
Ellen went from a 2:44 at the 2010 DC Tri to a 2:26 at the same race this year. She is always very supportive and encouraging of other team members out on the course.

Veteran Athlete of the Year - BEN WINTERROTH & STEPHANIE EWERT
Ben qualified for Kona, won age-group nationals, and dominated Kona, all in one year. That's 3 triathlon lifetime achievements... all in the span of 5 months!
Stephanie can beat any guy on the swim, and she’s a regular on the podium at big races (top 3 at DC & Nations, and top 5 at age-group nats). More importantly, she uses her amazing talent in this sport to help others... guiding a blind athlete in races.

-Luke

astolz1's ravatar astolz1    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 535
POSTED: 11/23/11 2:48 PM

1. Volunteer of the Year
Ryan Troll has done SO much over the past year. Look at his resume on the 20102 board election forum.

Alejandro, cheers us on and wears DCTri gear about as much as orange.

Travis Siehndel, always out and about wearing DCTri clothes and selling the club easily and smoothly

4. Most Improved (m/f)
Bill Goodrich, sick performance at IMFL
Courtney Fulton, fantastic job year round

Jason Brez, has come a long way!
Holli Finneren, see accolades above

Ben Winterroth, stupid fast
Steph Ewert, she also kicks some ass out there

rtroll's ravatar rtroll    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 505
POSTED: 11/24/11 11:41 PM

1 - Being on the operations side of the club makes one realize the importance of "go-to" people who can help make things happen. There are many of my fellow club members who ive been able to count on for many projects and programs throughout the year. I'd like to recognize them, nominate all of them for this award, and let the club take it from there.

Catherine Myung and Julianne Miata who both have stepped up in a very big way to take the reins of the club's master program.

Bryan Frank, Travis Siehndel, Sandy Chaing, Casey Creech, Pam Simmonds, Katie Hatheway, Will Grant and Rachel Magnus who all played a key role in the success of NTP2011.

Karen Williard and Andy Blatecky who continue to be the unsung heroes behind the scenes with gear management. Plus they had to put up with me this year, the alone deserves nomination.

2 - Adam Stolzburg has been and continues to be a spirit machine. He bleeds club colors and goes out of his way time and time again to support not only his peers but anyone sporting the dc tri red and blue.

5 - I have a unique privilege to see almost all of our newest members grow into the club. In my mind all 185 of our 2011 ntp graduates are rookies of the year however two individuals that stand out in my mind are:

Female - Kyoko Kawai
Male - Gopal Dharia

Both of these individuals embody the spirit that makes us ntp leaders smile. These individuals quickly became role models in their ntp class and finished strong in their first year of the sport. I look forward to seeing them grow within the club and the sport in the coming years.

6. I'll echo the sentiments of everyone else here and nominate my boy Winterroth and my girl Ewert for this coveted award.

POSTED: 11/26/11 9:13 AM

Due to the original deadline falling on a holiday, the Board has decided to extend the nomination period for the 2011 Club Awards. The extended deadline is Monday November 28th at 5:00PM.

sandyc's ravatar sandyc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 288
POSTED: 11/28/11 5:16 PM

The nomination period for the 2011 Club Awards has now closed. Thank you for submitting your nominations.

Sandy Chiang
Secretary & Membership, DC Tri Club

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria