Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Happy Hour with no talk of Tri stuff
CREATED: 06/14/11 by pgfde121 REPLIES: 10
pgfde121's ravatar pgfde121    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 245
Happy Hour with no talk of Tri stuff
POSTED: 6/14/11 4:23 PM

I know we all enjoy our happy hours, but here's an idea I'm going to float. How about at the next HH, we not allow ourselves to talk about upcoming races, training, bikes, or other equipment. Instead, we'll have to find out a little bit about each other beyond the easy connection to the world of triathlon. I've become very aware of the fact that life exists beyond triathlon and cycling, and it is indeed a great place as well.

Reason I say this is because if you mention someone's name in the club, the typical reaction is oh yeah he/she is the person who did this race or that race. Not that this is a horrible thing in and of itself, but how many of us actually know something about the members of our club beyond their race schedule? HH may get more exciting if we expand our conversations a bit?

We have a ton of members in the club who have very interesting experiences, jobs, etc. and I think we should avail ourselves of this opportunity. For the record, I've tried this a number of times only to have the next person join the conversation steer the conversation back into tri land.

May be something to consider if anyone else is interested, I've floated the idea to a few people lately and they seem to be in agreement. Thoughts?

DoggyBrown's ravatar DoggyBrown    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 137
RE: Happy Hour with no talk of Tri stuff
POSTED: 6/14/11 5:59 PM

Sounds good--but what races were you doing again?

;)

Phil

Luke's ravatar Luke    JOINED: 11/28/10    POSTS: 373
POSTED: 6/14/11 9:26 PM

Mandatory Fun! I like this idea!

-Luke

ballstoncyclist's ravatar ballstoncyclist    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 496
POSTED: 6/15/11 8:18 AM

Ron, you are a funny man. DC Being DC, I'm afraid that the conversation is very quickly going to move from upcoming races, training, bikes, and other equipment to politics. Yuck.

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1786
POSTED: 6/15/11 9:41 AM

We could, for instance, discuss what Doggy Brown's triathlete coach does in real life--pro triathlete.

(Actually, spin teacher Rob Falk once put on something like this at his law firm: people brought resumes and talked work, kind of like a job fair.)

tgrollman's ravatar tgrollman    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 226
POSTED: 6/15/11 11:17 AM

I think this is a fantastic idea!!!

Ron, maybe Mr. Strawberry can join us!!

Tania.

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 616
POSTED: 6/15/11 11:36 AM

People talk about triathlon at HH? Who knew. Did you know that Kate and William will be in the US (Cali) 8-10 July? Awesome.

riggodrill's ravatar riggodrill    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 104
POSTED: 6/15/11 12:54 PM

Well that only leaves eating and sleeping to talk about.

-- TJ

starcaro's ravatar starcaro    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 60
POSTED: 6/15/11 2:12 PM

But that's what I like about DCTri and the HHs - that I don't have to talk about work or hear about other people's jobs!

I can talk effusively about my dog though :)

ballstoncyclist's ravatar ballstoncyclist    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 496
POSTED: 6/15/11 3:45 PM

Caro: Veto Ninja talk.

amacos's ravatar amacos    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 157
POSTED: 6/15/11 8:44 PM

Great idea! It will be hard but we can try :) Let's do that at the next Club-wide HH. No Tri talk, we can offer raffle prizes to those who resist the temptation!

Cheers,

Adriana

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria