Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Du Nat'ls -- 5k/38k/5k
CREATED: 12/14/09 by siehndel REPLIES: 10
siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1050
Du Nat'ls -- 5k/38k/5k
POSTED: 12/14/09 10:11 PM

Did anyone notice that Du Nat'ls doesn't feature a 10k run this year? It must be a result of the train crossing and the necessary course change.

I think I'm a little less inclined to do it with the shorter run. Maybe I'm just weird.

Anyone else thinking of doing it? I did have fun last year so am still going to consider it if there's a good group going down again.

lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
RE: Du Nat'ls -- 5k/38k/5k
POSTED: 12/14/09 10:42 PM

I spoke to the Race Director about the new format a couple weeks ago. They want to attract more participants is the reason why they shortened the run. They also shortened the time between waves because people complained.

But, I don't understand b/c I believe that the race sold out last year. Plus, there is a sport distance. People will forgive the race director for the April heat and will come back because they liked the race and the course. It's also a qualifier for short course Worlds dua, but the distances are not the same now. Oh well, maybe they'll get the 5k distance right this year. I liked the train. It equalized the 30-34 men and women! :)

I'm in!

Lisa
http://www.examiner.com/x-19867-DC-Sports-Travel-Examiner?showbio

asovonick's ravatar asovonick    JOINED: 6/3/09    POSTS: 196
POSTED: 12/15/09 3:19 AM

I'm a little disappointed as this really favors the bikers and allows them to stay close to runners in the 5Ks.

Plus, for Worlds, it won't be like we practiced the 10-38-5 distance like the other competing countries... we will have done 5-38-5. I think that puts newer duathletes at a disadvantage, thus putting the US at a disadvantage.

I may be a disgruntled runner, but I think the 5-38-5 gives those who plan on qualifying a disadvantage come Worlds from an experience standpoint.

-Andrew

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 440
POSTED: 12/15/09 7:29 AM

Agreed that the new distance favors the bikers! :-(

philotri's ravatar philotri    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 253
POSTED: 12/15/09 7:51 AM

I'll also be there but I agree that I'm disappointed in the distance changes. I'm going to try to do some extra bike training in preparation as I know that I always lose more time on the bike than I do on the run.

I may also try to head down there some weekend before the race to practice on the bike course, hoping to make up on technical skills where I might lose out on physical ones.

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1028
POSTED: 12/15/09 9:12 AM

Even if the first run leg was an 8k, it would seem more reasonable. Does anyone know the date of this race? Last weekend in April?

urbanlumberjack's ravatar urbanlumberjack    JOINED: 3/25/09    POSTS: 143
POSTED: 12/15/09 10:54 AM

April 24-25th. I'm signed up.

macoffman's ravatar macoffman    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 54
POSTED: 12/15/09 11:30 AM

I'm signed up and even though the shorter run works in my favor am dissapointed with the change.

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1050
POSTED: 12/15/09 11:37 AM

Lisa -- did you ask if the 5k course is going to be an accurate 5k? Last year, despite the fact that I walked the entire thing, it seemed a little short.

If that's fixed, I'm in. It was a fun weekend and I did have a good time at my first duathlon despite folding like a deck of cards in the heat.

lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
POSTED: 12/15/09 12:53 PM

I'll e-mail the RD again and get back to you. But the revised course is posted on their website. Try to estimate the distances of the legs from their new maps.

Also, the RD was at the USAT-Mid Atlantic meeting last year. We can ask Jon Lugbill (RD) and USAT officials at the annual meeting why the course changed. Did USAT have a role? Does it conform to World Champs qualifying standards and/or ITU standards? On its face, the US/Richmond course does not conform to ITU standards. The European Dua Championships (qualifier for worlds) is in Nancy, FR on 5/10. I'm positive that ETU is sticking to 10k/40k/5k format for Oly duathlon.

On other bad news, Richmond will most likely lose the Nats Dua Champs after 2010. USAT is accepting bids for new cities for Nats Dua, Age Group Champs (Tri), etc. Don't know when the deadline is for 2011 & 2012 races. Contact point at USAT is, Ntl. event director Jeff Dyrek : jeff at usatriathlon.org

ALSO: a lot of people have complained to me that you have to rack your bikes on Saturday. Any thoughts?

asovonick's ravatar asovonick    JOINED: 6/3/09    POSTS: 196
POSTED: 12/15/09 12:58 PM

And please ask why Du Nats is the ONLY qualifying race this year... That is why they added more qualifying slots to the race this year. That's not very thoughtful to those who have to travel to Richmond. We're the lucky ones!

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria