Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

SavageMan -- World's Hardest Triathlon
CREATED: 03/24/10 by garydean REPLIES: 34
garydean's ravatar garydean    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 47
SavageMan -- World's Hardest Triathlon
POSTED: 3/24/10 12:00 PM

The March 2010 issue of Triathlete Magazine contained a major piece listing the 100 Best Triathlons on Earth. The SavageMan 70.0 Triathlon was the headline race listed, earning a two page article and the #1 ranking in the World's Hardest Triathlons category.

http://www.savagemantri.org/TriathleteMag_100BestRaces.pdf

An epic event right in our backyard.

Semper Ride,
Gary

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 514
RE: SavageMan -- World's Hardest Triathlon
POSTED: 3/24/10 4:11 PM

I saw that article and looked up the official website. That Westernport Wall is truly fearsome. They have a video on the site showing people trying to get up the climb on a training ride. You can see one woman crashing in the background after she just got too worn out to make it to the top. Others do the "paperboy" trick of weaving side to side to decrease the slope. I definitely wouldn't be able to handle that right now.

http://www.savagemantri.org/Westernport_Wall.html

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 946
POSTED: 3/24/10 4:25 PM

It is a gorgeous course out there. Definitely challenging, but incredibly gorgeous. The Oly is a good option for those who want to go out there but not attempt the 70.0 (formerly the Half).

I am looking forward (or is that up) to the wall this September. Complete and utter savagery awaits me.

kyleyost's ravatar kyleyost    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 34
POSTED: 3/25/10 9:33 AM

Was fun to see SavageMan make the cut for the article - heck to even get a two page spread and win the Hardest Races category. I'd protest the omission from Most Beautiful Races category, but who's to complain....

It ain't the Wall that gets you. You're fresh and excited and motivated by the brick and the cowbell-clanging fans. It's Killer Miller that puts the nail in the coffin.

The 30.0 (formerly Olympic) is a new bike course this year. Certainly not flat - there is no such thing out there - but no more Frank Brenneman Rd. It's a good, fair bike course and very beautiful. And much quieter, more remote roads than the prior course.

sandyc's ravatar sandyc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 288
POSTED: 3/25/10 9:56 AM

No more Frank Brenneman Rd!!! WOO HOO!!!! Don't worry, FB - one day, I'll settle the score!

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 3/25/10 10:10 AM

I have to agree, when we pre-roas the course. THe wall was tough, but that Damn Killer Miller almost ripped my heart out. I am looking forward to doing it Officially.

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 946
POSTED: 3/25/10 10:12 AM

No more Frank Brenneman?! LAME!!!! Ah well, I conquered him last year.

And yes, it's not just the Wall that gets you. It's Big Savage Mountain, McAndrews Hill, Otto Lane, Killer Miller and the hill on Maynardier Ridge Rd that get you....

Darn you Kyle!!! :)

sandyc's ravatar sandyc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 288
POSTED: 3/25/10 10:19 AM

Maynardier Ridge - I forgot about that sneaky bugger that just seems to go on and on forever. And the damn climb out of Westernport. That one made me cry uncle (and I think that's where Ty wanted to send a stranger in a pick-up to come back and literally pick me up). Definitely not my finest moment. Kyle Yost - you truly are a sadist. ::B^>::

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 3/25/10 10:53 AM

I have never been out there, but it looks really nice. I am thinking of a weekend this summer with my daughter and maybe a friend who has a sweet little dog. Can anyone recommend a B&B out there that is pet friendly? I was searching the web, but came up empty. Would want to be near the lake of course.

I'd consider the Oly (yes I am a wuss) - anyone doing this and Nations the following weekend?

philotri's ravatar philotri    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 253
POSTED: 3/25/10 2:09 PM

It's not the Wall, it's not Frank Brenneman or Killer Miller or Big Savage Mountain or Maynardier Ridge or any of the others. It's the bears! The bears are out to get our shiny tri-bikes by tricking us into the trees.

urbanlumberjack's ravatar urbanlumberjack    JOINED: 3/25/09    POSTS: 143
POSTED: 3/25/10 2:48 PM

The bears (plural) were pretty bad, but it was that dog that I have recurring bike-nightmares about.

I hope we are doing another training weekend out there, seriously the best bike weekend of my life. Anyone doing the race should definitely be there, and even if you aren't it was a blast. I believe there can be a mix of accommodations again as well, although I think the campsite people had a better time than the vip cabin people...

POSTED: 3/25/10 3:00 PM

Cujo is a lover not a fighter according to the owners. And he has a new electric fence.

Lots of lodging options ranging from camping to very affordable off-lake (not very far) bargains to less affordable lake options to unaffordable luxury lakeside sweet pads. And, of course, hotel and B&B.

I'm sure there will be an "official" DC Tri training weekend as well as a number of smaller group training weekends.

There is also the Garrett County Gran Fondo on 6/26-27 weekend, featuring the 200K Diabolical Double for the true gluttons who want the best and toughest ride of their life. Website and registration (cheap) to go live within a few days.

garydean's ravatar garydean    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 47
POSTED: 3/25/10 8:46 PM

Wow, upon hearing that the Oly bike course had been changed, I thought maybe Kyle was getting soft... and then I see that it is just part of his enticement for folks to do the "True Savage" Double.... both distances, one each day. Sick. Interesting, but sick.

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 3/26/10 9:19 AM

Begs the question, what does one do on Monday after doing the True Savage Double?

SeanG's ravatar SeanG    JOINED: 4/8/09    POSTS: 159
POSTED: 3/26/10 9:30 AM

An easy 10 mile run

POSTED: 3/26/10 9:43 AM

A good bit of gloating, a soaking of the legs in the lake, and a heaping portion of Lakeside Creamery ice cream.

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 3/26/10 9:43 AM

What one does after a True Savage on Monday Morning:
1. Hit the call button so the nurse can change your bed pan and urine bag, since you will be bed ridden.
2. Hit the other button to your morphine drip to help with the delayed onset muscle soreness of lactic acid overload, myositis ossificans.
3. Meet with a priest cause Tuesday will probably not be looking good for you.
4. Activate you most current Power of Attorney, since you are no longer capable of making competent decisions, seeing on how insane you were to sign up for that.
5. Make a video for your children, so that they will have something to remember you by, because Wednesday might be the checkout day.
5. Lastly....curse the day Kyle’s demented mind concocted the first Savage Man race, much less this truly diabolical test of one person’s tolerance to torturing oneself to the point of DEATH!!!!

Just things that I would do, and have a plan for. Cause I am thinking this just got interesting.

urbanlumberjack's ravatar urbanlumberjack    JOINED: 3/25/09    POSTS: 143
POSTED: 3/26/10 9:50 AM

someone get this man a few beers, an iphone, and a credit card!

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 514
POSTED: 3/26/10 3:11 PM

Hmm, I'm wondering if all this is constitutional. I mean, cruel and unusual punishment and all...

alya72's ravatar alya72    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 49
POSTED: 3/31/10 4:47 PM

Maybe if Kyle's wife returned from deployment he would stop thinking up such diabolical events in his spare time...I'm just saying.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria