Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

SavageMan -- World's Hardest Triathlon
CREATED: 03/24/10 by garydean REPLIES: 34
kyleyost's ravatar kyleyost    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 34
RE: SavageMan -- World's Hardest Triathlon
POSTED: 3/31/10 4:52 PM

Are you kidding me? She's a facillitator. In fact she just emailed me about how she wants to try the single day 182 mile DC to Deep Creek ride when she gets back.

POSTED: 3/31/10 5:14 PM

I would also like to state, in my defense, that we have received many requests from SavageMan particpants to add an Iron-distance option. And I haven't done that yet. So there!

guinness    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 64
POSTED: 3/31/10 5:24 PM

Only a matter of time, Kyle... Hope Laura is home soon! Anathea

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 514
POSTED: 3/31/10 5:27 PM

I'm betting that he's going to skip the IM distance and add a double IM race instead.

merlinkim's ravatar merlinkim    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 294
POSTED: 3/31/10 7:49 PM

Kyle - my vote is to adopt the Dubai format - with 200k, you could have all sorts of fun. Lets you keep the run course similar too. Of course, you'll have to do it on the summer solstice, since the AG'ers will run out of daylight!

POSTED: 3/31/10 7:59 PM

It ain't a coincidence the Gran Fondo w/ Diabolical Double is being held on the summer solstice. Even with an 8am start I'm sure there will be some folks cutting it close on daylight.

Here's the tail end of a report from a guy in the western Md Wheelman cycling club out thataways who did the ride last summer. They ran out of daylight and had to finish up in the headlights of a friends car.

"With over 100 miles behind us we headed across the Potomac into WV and started the climbs from Bloomington up 46, past Jennings Randolph Lake, to Elk Garden. For me this was the climb that nearly cramped me up, only because it was long and continuous, with no place to coast and stretch out the legs. We hit Elk Garden right at sunset and found no place open for food or liquid, so it was back down to the Potomac at 40 mph on Rt 42 into Kitzmiller. Got a quick liquid refuel at the cafe just before they closed, then commenced the final slog along North Hill and Upperman into Deer Park. Honestly, I can't say this climb bothered me so much. But the impending darkness did. I pulled out my phone and dialed a friend. Luckily, Andy had just gotten home and readily agreed to meet us wherever, whenever. We made Deer Park slightly faster than anticipated, just as the last daylight left us. Andy and his furry white friends showed up as agreed, and we headed out Sand Flat trying to stay in his high beams, dodging deer around every corner. My biggest fear at this point was that we'd get pulled over by the police and forced to abandon, just miles from our finish. We got to Glendale safely, despite the line of irritated motorists behind us, and pulled up to the the Discovery Center parking lot at 8:50, only to find the gates closed, and my car locked in. Actually, the rangers had thoughtfully left the lock off, so no problem. And surprise, surprise, someone left two candy bars on the windshield for our celebration meal.
All in all, a great ride, one for the personal record books. I'd recommend it to anyone who's got a few mountain centuries under their belt, especially as a late season ride. Don't think I'd care to do it earlier than August, or by myself, or with rain in the forecast, or with a start time later than 8 AM. We obviously started way too late, at nearly 9. This is a 12-hr ride (at least a my pace), so might as well take your time, enjoy the scenery and terrain, and don't feel rushed.
Some other lessons learned / observations / personal preferences for this specific ride:
- Solid "real" food, even fast food, seemed to work best for me on this ride. I didn't use any gels at all, like I usually do.
- Eat whenever you're hungry, or when passing by an enroute food opportunity. Better to take on extra than bonk on a long leg.
- Draft as much as possible on flats, but ride your own pace on the climbs
- Make sure you know which stores are open along the route, especially on Sundays. Carry an extra sandwich at the start, just in case.
- Carry an accurate cue sheet, as well as a local road map.
- Arrange a SAG contact for unforecast contingencies.
- Stretch at every stop and on every flat and downhill, as needed.
- Don't hit your red zone (LT, AT, MHR) if you can avoid it. Stay aerobic on the big climbs.
- It's a lot more fun to ride long in good weather than in cold and rain.
- It ain't over til it's over.
"

merlinkim's ravatar merlinkim    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 294
POSTED: 3/31/10 8:38 PM

Putting in the order for a compact crankset tomorrow. Something tells me that 34-27 will feel a lot better than 38-27.

ducke's ravatar ducke    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 91
POSTED: 4/01/10 7:48 AM

KILLER MILLER, Oh are you ...... kiding me this is ........ Yeah alot of that.

philotri's ravatar philotri    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 253
POSTED: 4/01/10 7:53 AM

Trying to decide whether the sure suffering of the Gran Fondo is greater than or less than the sure suffering of my family reunion the same day.

Chad's ravatar Chad    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 116
POSTED: 4/01/10 11:16 AM

Having ridden out in DCL (not nearly as much as Kyle) I can say that the DD is definitely one of the most challenging rides around. If you get one good weekend out there with a good 80 miler in with some longer rides to Sugarloaf and maybe one or two hits of Mt. Weather before then, that will be good preparation for the Grand Fondo.

Phil S. states that the DD is something he wouldn't wish on his worst enemy. I was only able to to the 98 mile version last year but it was hard enough sprinting away from Rabid Terriers on Amish Road and countless other canines through out the ride after most of the climbs.

Having ridden out there with a 39/25 every time, if you are a strong climber you will be fine (albeit at a low cadence) Doing it with a 39/27 is probably good if you are a moderate to strong climber or don't mind climbing. If you don't like climbing or aren't very good at climbing...compact all the way.

The key to that ride is having infinite patience and to not let frustration creep in with the constant up and down. Patience in climbing is paramount and allows you to enjoy the views that much more!

DoggyBrown's ravatar DoggyBrown    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 137
POSTED: 4/05/10 2:38 PM

Diabolical Double (now a.k.a. the Gran Fondo) is one of the hardest rides I've ever done. Ok, no, it's the hardest ride I've ever done. It just goes on and on and up and down and up and down and on and on.... Consider that you do basically all of the Savageman bike course (in a different order) and have 72 other VERY HILLY miles to deal with. It's a beautiful nightmare of a ride.

BUT it's definitely worth doing. I applaud Kyle setting up the Fondo. Having rest stops and support will really make it more bearable. If I wasn't gonna be out at IMCdA that very weekend--I'd be all over it.

Training for it: go suffer as much as you can for as long as you can on any hill(s) available between now and then. And then prep yourself for a lot of lungbusting hills followed by legbusting inclines followed by heartpounding downhills that are over way too fast.

It's a great ride.

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 946
POSTED: 5/25/10 11:38 AM

Just got email word that the Savageman 70.0 is 2/3 full and the 30.0 is about 1/2 full. Prices go up on June 1st, so if you're thinking about taking the challenge or you're questioning your sanity, then you might want to act soon.

ballstoncyclist's ravatar ballstoncyclist    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 491
POSTED: 5/25/10 11:59 AM

Bryan, I noticed the 30.0 and 70.0 are Saturday and Sunday. I assume (expect) that you will be doing both.

POSTED: 5/25/10 12:03 PM

That would be the 100.0

You get a nice discount if you do both. And some serious savage street cred.

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 946
POSTED: 5/25/10 12:12 PM

So Kyle, do I get to be the ULTIMATE Maryland Challenge recipient if I do the 100.0 since I did Columbia this past weekend and have Eagleman in 3 weeks? :)

Tempting but I am not that crazy. I already did back to back Oly's last year. An Oly and a Half back to back... no way. Especially not these two courses. And also not if I have to do my first marathon a month after SavageMan weekend.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria