CREATED: 05/13/10 by nomisdc REPLIES: 125
stiefler    JOINED: 6/2/09    POSTS: 35
RE: Deep Creek Coordination and Input
POSTED: 7/08/10 9:13 AM

Spot has been claimed.

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
POSTED: 7/08/10 10:14 AM

Thanks for posting the ride availability. It helps! Pam gotcha, you've got the spot. Ihan good to see you at track last night and thanks for the info - good luck with your IMWisc trainup - sounds like you've got a good plan with your planned course simulation rides.

clcohen's ravatar clcohen    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 89
POSTED: 7/08/10 11:42 AM

If anyone else has a spot for a person/bike, please let me know. clcohen at gmail. I'm flexible on leaving time/location/etc. Thanks!

JohnGinsberg's ravatar JohnGinsberg    JOINED: 3/29/09    POSTS: 35
POSTED: 7/09/10 3:15 AM

I can haul three triathletes, or two triathletes and a dog. Dog must check whether campground discriminates against canines.

piyushdabomb    JOINED: 5/10/10    POSTS: 84
POSTED: 7/09/10 4:50 PM

Can you please add me in to this?

Although i'm a new triathlete, I'm excited about this.

+1 for me please.

POSTED: 7/11/10 5:14 PM

Hello Team,
It's time to start the coordination for the actual weekend.
EDIT: Simply send an email to events at dctriclub.org and we'll send you a link to the spreadsheet where you can enter your info. If that doesn't work for technical reasons, then send your info as shown here and we'll get it in there:
1. Your name and email.
2. Others in your party, if they are not coordinating for themselves.
3. Your cell phones.
4. How many vehicles you have, and how many tents.
5. Preferred camping spot (see the link on the first page).
6. Your planned routes over the weekend.
7. Your speed in mph. This is your usual biking speed. Ex. 16-18 mph. Just a comparative estimate on your normal rides, or on your races. Don't try to guess your speed at Deep Creek. This will help us group up.
8. If you can be a camping spot POC. IE the person who can coordinate the folks at your camping spot, receive calls from 'base camp', fight off bears, etc...
9. If you need a ride / can offer a ride. (note: the club is Not responsible for your transportation. You should coordinate your own based on the information).

I will put this on a spreadsheet and share it on google docs. I will assign camping spots based on your preferences.
Keep in mind we will try to have groups and stuff. But we won't have official sweep. Be prepared with plenty of supplies to take care of yourself on the rides. Any other thoughts or info you think we should gather are welcome. Thanks.

POSTED: 7/11/10 5:15 PM

piyushdabomb, gotcha - 39 total

katelynnmc's ravatar katelynnmc    JOINED: 5/21/10    POSTS: 24
POSTED: 7/11/10 6:23 PM

Is there room for one? I would love to go. Email me katelynn.mcbride@gmail.com.

Thanks!

Katelynn

POSTED: 7/12/10 10:50 AM

Katelynn, gotcha. Pete sorry I think I missed your post. Welcome back! I think we're at 41 :)

POSTED: 7/12/10 10:51 AM

Remember, the best place to talk about coordination is at Happy Hour (see the buzz on the front page)!

POSTED: 7/12/10 1:35 PM

Switching the coordination up a bit. Simply send an email to events at dctriclub.org and we'll send you a link to the spreadsheet where you can enter your info. If that doesn't work for technical reasons, then send your info as in the post above and we'll get it in there. Thanks!

nbehappy's ravatar nbehappy    JOINED: 5/23/09    POSTS: 135
POSTED: 7/13/10 5:04 PM

i'd love to go!

POSTED: 7/13/10 5:13 PM

JohnGinsberg, do you still have space for man and bike?
Thanks, Dave
nbediamola at yahoo

POSTED: 7/13/10 5:13 PM

JohnGinsberg, do you still have space for man and bike?
Thanks, Dave
nbediamola at yahoo

JohnGinsberg's ravatar JohnGinsberg    JOINED: 3/29/09    POSTS: 35
POSTED: 7/13/10 9:17 PM

CARPOOL: Dave and his bike have claimed one spot. I still have space for two triathletes, or one + dog. Hoping to roll out of town early enough on Friday not to pitch tent in the dark, but I am flexible. There's always the headlamp.

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1713
POSTED: 7/14/10 11:29 AM

Anyone know exactly where you're allowed to swim on the lake? I think people stick to the area from the bridge near the Discovery Center to the roped-off area near the public beach. Believe others have swum into the lake proper, but don't know if that is allowed or advisable.

BTW, in past trips some folks have spent their "off hours" kayaking. Here's info on renting kayaks:

Will of the Wisp Resort
$35 for 1.5 hrs, rentals

About 3-4 miles around the lake from the campsite, on Garrett Highway

http://www.wispresort.com/wisp/info/s.flat-water-kayaking.aspx

High Mt. Sports
$35-$45, 1.5-2 hrs, tours or rentals

About 4-5 miles around the lake from the campsite, on Garrett Highway

http://www.highmountainsports.com/page.cfm/Tours-and-Lessons/Kayak_Tours.html

kyleyost's ravatar kyleyost    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 34
POSTED: 7/14/10 11:46 AM

You can rent kayaks from the State Park itself near the beach. They will send you down the same cove where I am going to tell you (unofficially) to swim.

The swim course itself goes from the beach to the turnaround near the State Park Rd bridge. Don't do this. You want to instead start at this bridge and continue down the cove, which is a wakefree cove and is where the kayakers and fisherman go for quiet water. From the bridge you get about 1/2 mile before it gets too narrow or shallow.

Don't try to swim from the beach. They've got a roped in swim area and won't like to see a mass of people heading out into the lake. Start from the bridge and head down the cove.

cfudge1    JOINED: 3/4/09    POSTS: 98
POSTED: 7/14/10 12:36 PM

Late to the party, I know, but I'd love to go if there's any space left... please let me know! cfudge1 at gmail. Thanks!

DVenables's ravatar DVenables    JOINED: 3/16/10    POSTS: 8
POSTED: 7/14/10 7:18 PM

Am I still in time to register for this weekend?
Would love to come along, can also offer lifts to a couple of people and bring a couple of 2 person kayaks. dcvenables@hotmail.com
Cheers
David

philotri's ravatar philotri    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 253
POSTED: 7/15/10 8:59 AM

I know I'm a late responder but I'm going to be able to come for the weekend. Don't know about hubby yet but will update as I find out.

Kyle, would it be possible to rent your friend's house down by the park for the weekend again this year? I can camp, but I could also quite happily sleep on a bed.

- Michele

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria