Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Garrett County Gran Fondo
CREATED: 04/26/11 by macoffman REPLIES: 9
macoffman's ravatar macoffman    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 54
Garrett County Gran Fondo
POSTED: 4/26/11 2:36 PM

Hello, I'm signed up for the Garrett County Gran fondo and am curious if anyone has room for one more at their house or campsite before I make reservations. I would also be interested in sharing a ride.

Michael.a.coffman at gmail.com

cvegh    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 31
RE: Garrett County Gran Fondo
POSTED: 4/26/11 7:34 PM

I had not heard of this Grand Fondo; sounds great! I am not sure I'll be able to make it .. but do you know how it compares (the 100 mile option) to Skyline Drive? Last month I did 100 miles in Skyline Drive which, according to Mapmyride, had 8,800 feet of climbing and 16 graded climbs. I've seen estimates of 10,000 feet in other websites but I am not sure where these figures come from.

Also, do you know why there is such a big difference between the climbing feet that the organizers say there is compared to the Mapmyrides estimates? For instance, for the century organizers say 12K feet of climbing; Mapmyride says 6.9K. Just curious as to what is going on ... Thanks!

Carlos.

slowtwitchva's ravatar slowtwitchva    JOINED: 2/18/10    POSTS: 207
POSTED: 4/27/11 4:26 PM

Yes! For God's sake, man, tell us more!

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 4/27/11 5:14 PM

A bunch of us did the Grand Fondo or as others know it as the "Diabolical Double".

It was a very well organized ride with various ride options up to 125ish miles. The riding in Garrett County is TOUGH. Lots of short but steep climbs that will wear you down as the day progresses. The middle part of the ride covers the same roads as Savageman, but done in reverse and then some!

Don't be fooled by mapmyride, 16000ft of climbing over 125 miles is fairly accurate.

In my opinion, I would say 100 miles on skyline is probably pretty close, but not quite as hard as, the Savage Century.

Here's the link: http://www.winthefight.org/granfondo/index.htm
Enjoy!

redsv's ravatar redsv    JOINED: 10/26/09    POSTS: 45
POSTED: 4/27/11 7:53 PM

Uh oh! I signed up for this some time ago. I did Skyline Dr last fall and hoping this wouldn't be too much harder.

merlinkim's ravatar merlinkim    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 296
POSTED: 4/27/11 8:40 PM

Also did the Diabolical Double last year -- loved it. The elevation charts are accurate -- it's naasty. As compared to Skyline, the Gran Fondo has more short, steep climbs. Skyline is limited in grade to something like 6%. That ain't nothin' for the Garrett County roads. Bring a 27, or a compact, or a triple, for sure. Also note that the 125-miler has a little bit of everything - fresh tarmac, chip-and-seal, and a short stretch of dirt/gravel. Organization is great, it's a beautiful place to ride, and it's the weekend of the year with the most daylight -- because you need every minute of it. Have fun!

POSTED: 4/27/11 11:34 PM

27, compact, or a triple? Hmm ... I have a Cervelo R3 7900 Dura Ace ... I think that's just a double, right? (I'm still new to this ...) Would I have trouble with this bike? I felt fine in Skyline drive but I guess you are saying that grades are steeper here ... Thanks!

POSTED: 4/29/11 11:20 AM

To put the question more generally. To all those brave souls that have done the Savageman triathlon in the past, have you used a double, compact, or triple crankset? How tough was it?

Based on postings here and reading stuff online, I'm concluding that it does not seem too sane to attempt the Garret County Century with just a double crankset. But any other testimonials/opinions on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Carlos.

redsv's ravatar redsv    JOINED: 10/26/09    POSTS: 45
POSTED: 4/29/11 11:47 AM

I don't know what kind of crank set I've got but I'm going with what's on the bike. If worst comes to worst, I can always just get off and push the bike up a hill (won't be the first time).

POSTED: 4/29/11 2:43 PM

Well, that's not a bad strategy! I'll keep it in in mind!

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria