DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Topless??
CREATED: 04/18/14 by Diablo1666 REPLIES: 3
Diablo1666's ravatar Diablo1666    JOINED: 3/4/13    POSTS: 11
Topless??
POSTED: 4/18/14 9:21 AM

Whats up folks.

Getting ready for my first IM in Houston (Woodlands) next month. Trying to make a decision on gear.

Can I go Topless for an IM?

As a former swimmer, I'm personally not a fan of wearing anything around my chest/shoulders as it feels constricting. Hell, sometimes I don't even wear underwear (Free ball Friday?) - kidding.

If I must wear a top, any recommendations for a good/comfortable Tri top for an IM? Brand (Ie Castelli, TYR, etc)? The last Tri I did, the top I was wearing opened up like a parachute around the neck area. Talk about drag!

Let me know guys.

Btw, hope to see everyone at Masters swim practice tonight!!

Thanks!

- Nams

kst718's ravatar kst718    JOINED: 8/29/11    POSTS: 95
RE: Topless??
POSTED: 4/18/14 9:43 AM

Nams - sorry, dude, but no shoes, no shirt = no service. I believe the specific wording for Ironman branded events is that the nipples must be covered. (I read about a race in France where no chest hair could be visible!) So women (or men, I suppose) can wear a sports bra, but no totally topless. At least you don't have to wear underwear under your cycling shorts! (There will also be changing tents at T1 and T2 so you can wear cycling clothes and then change into running clothes, if you prefer -- though still, cover those nipples.)

As for recommendations, there's the DC Tri Club kit, of course, which has a zip down the front. Good for ventilation but bad for chafing. Zoot has a lot of different styles. Smashfest Queen has a men's line and is super bright and cute, though just one neckline (no zipper). Check the sizing because some are longer or shorter in the torso. You're a tall dude so I recommend trying before you buy. Tri 360 has a good variety and they'll order things as well. Since your day will be long, comfort is key.

Good luck!

Diablo1666's ravatar Diablo1666    JOINED: 3/4/13    POSTS: 11
POSTED: 4/18/14 9:50 AM

Damn! So much for carving flames into my chest hair! - kidding

Thanks Katie, you are the best.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1331
POSTED: 4/18/14 9:57 AM

Three words: Faris Al Sultan ;)

That's about as minimalist as you can go.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria