Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Goggles
CREATED: 02/03/10 by kateelengold REPLIES: 11
kateelengold    JOINED: 12/21/09    POSTS: 2
Goggles
POSTED: 2/03/10 10:29 AM

Does anyone have a recommendation for swim goggles? I have been using the kind with the plastic suction and they give me a terrible headache when I swim. I'd appreciate any recommendations. Thanks!

jane    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 4
RE: Goggles
POSTED: 2/03/10 10:49 AM

I swam competitively for years, and I really like the Speedo GCG goggle because it has a then layer of neoprene padding that cushions around the eye socket.

I also like to get goggles in blue because then they work for both indoor and outdoor use.

http://www.kiefer.com/ProductDetails/StyleMasterDetails.aspx?pid={0e5fd2a9-109e-49c4-8d6a-61d92e3f0473}&gid={d607ebd2-597d-4ed9-9c96-d222e25e4b79}&GroupName=Speedo+Goggles&pname=Speedo+GCG+Goggle&Referer=&Alias=&ptct=SGR-SR&CTitle=&

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1293
POSTED: 2/03/10 10:49 AM

Headaches from goggles could be symptoms of fit (i.e., straps are too tight or nose bridge is too short/long) and not necessarily from the materials themselves.

I wear Speedo Vanquisher goggles and I like them. I've seen more than a few folks wear oversized goggles during races like the one in the below link.

Oversized Goggles

ajulia's ravatar ajulia    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 145
POSTED: 2/03/10 10:56 AM

Hi there -- I used to have problems with plastic goggles, but I learned after some trial and error that it was the shape of the goggle, more than the materials, that made the difference. If it doesn't fit your eyes, it's going to hurt no matter what it's made of because you may be compensating by wearing them too tightly (that's what I was doing).

Even within the same brand, models can have different shapes and sizes so they sit differently on your face. Have you tried going to a store with a wide selection and trying on several pairs in a row?

A good test: without having to press too hard, the goggles should stick to your face without the strap on and you should be able to move your eyeballs around.

Julia

flora    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 35
POSTED: 2/03/10 11:10 AM

I agree with Julia- depends on the shape of the goggle, and more specifically the shape of your face. I have big eyes and went through at least 6 pairs before I found one that fit comfortably. I know the aquasphere are not the sexiest goggles out there, but they are super comfortable and you can't even feel them because they rest on bone, not tissue:

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/13063.htm

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 2/03/10 1:15 PM

Well I know I am going to get made fun of, but in accordance with face structure, if you have a small features, look into the Jr section of goggles. Most companies are making them for competative youth. I roll out with Speedos Jr Hydrospecs, because of my narrow face. They were one of the few that stuck to my face without use of the strap, and still felt comfortable.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 2/03/10 1:17 PM

i use tyr racetechs, universal goggle found in basically any swim/sporting goods store. good for if you forget your goggles traveling to a race and need ones that fit asap. something to consider when shopping for goggles.

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1047
POSTED: 2/03/10 9:04 PM

Hi, you need to do is try different styles of goggles before you can finally pick you preference of a pair. I love the Sweedish kind, but that is because I am bit old school. The only other suggestion I have is that you should not use goggles that have foam on the inserts. After so many uses of being in chlorine, they start to fall apart.

starcaro's ravatar starcaro    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 60
POSTED: 2/04/10 1:25 PM

Just as a warning on color... I also like blue goggles, but for races, you should make sure you also have a more clear colored pair too... I had blue goggles for a race and the buoys were red. Then with the goggles the red didn't look like red anymore and blended in with the trees in the background. It was really tough to sight like that.

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1047
POSTED: 2/04/10 9:53 PM

Better yet, (or worse yet) back in 2007 in the Northeast triathlon, I had a pair of red-lensed goggles that I was going to wear. Well, the buoys were either orange or yellow and I couldnt tell which ones were which. It was hard to tell which buoy was orange and where to make a turn.

Fortunately, I discovered this during my warm up swim so it wasn't a problem.

slashykk    JOINED: 5/31/09    POSTS: 38
POSTED: 2/05/10 3:01 PM

You probably have more than enough advice, but I had headache problems too, and I LOVE the tyr nest pro. They are a little more expensive, but I think totally worth it. I have also lent them to people with drastically different face shapes, and they have loved them as well. Mine have held up really well, so I don't mind the extra $$.

sandyc's ravatar sandyc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 288
POSTED: 2/05/10 3:20 PM

I second the recommendation for the Tyr Nest Pro goggles. They are just about the only thing I like about swimming. :::^b::

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria