Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

SELLING BIB FOR PHILLY TRIATHLON
CREATED: 02/03/10 by cbattin00 REPLIES: 35
cbattin00    JOINED: 6/15/09    POSTS: 28
SELLING BIB FOR PHILLY TRIATHLON
POSTED: 2/03/10 2:43 PM

I registered for the Olympic distance race but can't make it due to a scheduling conflict. Though it had only been a few days, the race director wouldn't give me a refund. Deferrals require another full payment and I can't make the commitment this far out so I'm going to sell my bib. Given that Philly serves as the mid-Atlantic club championships this year, I thought selling to a fellow DC Tri Club member who missed registration would be the best way to go about it.

Contact Clay Battin: cbattin00@yahoo.com

Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon
Olympic Distance race
Sunday June 27th
$197

hppeabody's ravatar hppeabody    JOINED: 9/17/09    POSTS: 192
RE: SELLING BIB FOR PHILLY TRIATHLON
POSTED: 2/03/10 3:17 PM

I'm pretty sure that does not work in the world of tri like it does in road races...

sandyc's ravatar sandyc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 288
POSTED: 2/03/10 4:24 PM

Selling bibs for triathlons definitely DOES NOT work in the world of triathlon like it does in road running races. I believe that it has to do with insurance coverage of the racer who originally registered for the race (USAT's insurance policy does not cover bib transfers). The race directors aren't trying to be jerks - they're just following the rules.

From the USAT Competitive Rule Book:

3.5 Unregistered Participants.
a. Any person who participates in any portion of a sanctioned event without first properly registering and
paying any required registration fee shall be suspended or barred from membership in USA Triathlon and barred
from participation in any sanctioned event for a period of up to one year.
b. Any person who in any way assists another athlete to violate Section 3.5a by providing or selling a race
number to that athlete shall be suspended or barred from membership in USA Triathlon and barred from
participation in any sanctioned event for a period of up to one year.
Any second violation of this Section shall result in a lifetime suspension or ban from membership in USA Triathlon

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 2/03/10 5:25 PM

as stated by the member above, if you are caught selling your bib for a triathlon without it going through the race director or such, if you get caught it has consequence for both you and the person you sell it to. Do it at your own risk.

don't feel bad, if you do a search on the forum board there were several people that were in the same situation as you last year, ie, couldn't do a race and and the race didn't give refunds.

I feel your pain I literally lost close to $800 dollars last year on race entries that i could not do due to unforseen injuries.

The race/organizations and directors DO NOT care what your excuse is for not doing a race, and it is stated as such on the race entry waiver when you give an entry fee.

Welcome to triathlons and have a safe season.

ferguson's ravatar ferguson    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 177
POSTED: 2/03/10 6:18 PM

Lighten up folks! Regardless of what the rules may say, selling of bibs happens all the time. Your chances of getting caught? About the same as getting struck by lightning. This guy can easily post on craigslist but he wanted to help out the club. No harm done.

If you want to race in Philly but missed registration (and you're not at the top of the wait list), contact this guy and get your slot!

The rules for both triathlon & road running are in place for insurance purposes. No problem- just make sure you're a USAT member and you write your medical / contact information on the back of the bib (that's the first place they'll look in an emergency). If you want to go the extra mile, purchase a 1-day race insurance policy from a third party vendor (there are links for such insurance on the USAT website).

If the race directors weren't being jerks, they'd give him his money back. He requested a refund within a few days as was basically told: you're sh*t outta luck but you can pay us $400 to race next year (and we're gonna make an additional $200 since you can't race so we appreciate your hardship). As PC as I can possibly be, that doesn't seem like a very reasonable cancellation / deferral policy.

Now I could understand if they stood to lose money but...

A. The race is sold out
B. There's already a wait list
C. The race is 5 months away
D. They're charging $200 for an Olympic (almost double the price point for a race of that distance)

Given no risk of financial loss plus the unreasonable policies & fees... well... rules like this are sometimes meant to be broken.

-Ferguson

lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
POSTED: 2/03/10 6:50 PM

I 2nd Fergie's post. Not very nice to pounce on cbattin00. Looks like he's a new member and/or a newbie. Probably doesn't know the USAT policy. This happens every season. Some poor schmuck gets attacked for trying to unload a bib. Perhaps, the Board should add a permanent statement on our forum stating USAT's policy on selling or swapping bibs.

USAT rules bans selling, swapping w/o RD permission. But, it is up to the Race Director on how to apply refunds.

cbattin00, you can sell, swap, or give it away. Bandit, don't bandit. People sell bibs on craigslist. $1k for NYC marathon bibs. Incredible. Got any takers?

POSTED: 2/03/10 7:50 PM

Thanks for the backup here. I know you're not supposed to sell your bib, but as mentioned above I can do essentially whatever I like with it. I decided it was better to try to sell it here (not at a profit, just my cost) to another DC Tri member. And as also mentioned above, the defferal policy sucks, no refund and would have to pay again next year; all they do is hold you a slot and make more $$. Look its not my fault my friend has chosen to get married the same weekend in NC, I tried to talk him out if it!

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 440
POSTED: 2/03/10 7:57 PM

Good luck! Unlike road races, triathlons require you to show your ID and your USAT card when checking in. They then put a hospital-type wrist band on you which is required to enter transition. There are probably ways around these checks, but I would not risk it. Road races are a lot more informal about check in.

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 897
POSTED: 2/03/10 11:13 PM

No one is pouncing on the guy for making the post. Someone is just posting the USAT rules about selling bibs for triathlons in case he doesn't know. It's kind of hypocritical to claim someone is attacking the guy by posting the USAT rules and then call him a "poor schmuck."

Perhaps this is also a general statement directed at any new triathletes who might consider buying the bib to compete in this race and don't know USAT rules yet and don't know what they may chance (about the odds of being struck by lightning) if caught breaking USAT rules.

Obviously some people are bitter about the rules......

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1265
POSTED: 2/04/10 12:12 AM

x2, x3, and x4 on what Kevin said. The rules are the rules whether you like them or not and whether you agree with them or not. Whether you wish to abide by them is your call. The rules may suck, unfair, unethical, etc but you agreed to them when you signed up. The rules may be all of the things that you've stated but what does that make you for trying to squirm your way out of them? We can debate the ethics and logic behind the rules at some other time.

Anyone who takes up cbattin00's offer should be forewarned and take Kevin's words to heart. Every triathlon that I've ever entered has asked for an ID beforehand and they put that strap around your wrist pretty quickly. Most of the time they also asked for the USAT card. It's not like a bib in a road race where you can hand it off easily. I'm sure there are clever ways to bypass this but if I were to buy this illegally, I wouldn't give any money to anyone until that wristband is around MY wrist ... otherwise you are out a lot of money.

cbattin00 is going to be at a wedding so he won't be there in person to get that wristband for you. That's a risky gamble in my opinion ... but if you have the money why not? Sure he can send you stuff or promised you your money back but you may be driving up to Philly and perhaps take in a hotel room for naught. People who sell $1k for a NYC tri slot probably have cleaver ways of being there at the race to get the wristband to hand that off. It will be hard for cbattin00 to be in Philly to get you the wristband while he's in NY ... like I said before, I'm sure there is a cleaver way around this.

By the way, you can't seriously think that you can post something that advocates an act against the rules that many of us follow and expect not to be called out on that. You can do essentially anything that you want but we can essentially call you out on it. I find it funny that you and your defenders on this forum are taking exceptions to being called out.

On an aside note: Colts 38, Saints 27.

Tuan

POSTED: 2/04/10 12:17 AM

wow this is funny beyond belief.

all the posts prior to my posting and including my post just said to the guy the USAT rules and applicable penalties. Somehow this was interpretted as being "jumping on the new guy". WTF?

If anyone thinks my posting in any way is "jumping on the new guy" then obviously you must be new to the club because i didn't even make any of my normal, as other people say "incendiary remarks".

then we have someone saying that the bib trading rules are meant to be broken and that insurance means nothing and that its easily handled when all is said and done. obviously he is new to the sport as he didn't hear about the whole Alcatraz bib swapping incident about 5 years ago.

word of advice to the new guys, coming from someone that was in the same situation as you last year.

Members of this Tri club DO NOT like it when you complain about not getting a refund and that you think the r/d are being losers for not giving a refund. Basically when i complained about not getting a refund last year (i was not trying to sell any bibs though at any time), i was totally b&tched out by many posters on this forum and the general message was "The waiver and website says no refund. F-ING READ IT, TOO BAD SO SAD DEAL WITH IT!"

I made that mistake last you so you do not have to this year. LOL

Welcome to the club.

side note : colts 35 saints 32

POSTED: 2/04/10 12:19 AM

The USAT rule is good. The race director's policies are not. That's common sense but, if anyone would like to debate that on a separate thread, I'll be happy to oblige.

I don't see how anyone is bitter about anything... other than the fact that his buddy is getting married the same day as his race :)

Email (and the like) sucks as a form of communication- there is no tone or emotion so intent can easily be misconstrued. So let's keep this light, shall we.

First reply was: hey, you might want to check on that as it may not fly. Second reply was: here's the official rule. Third reply was: I feel your pain but, as much as it may suck, that's the price you pay to play. Seventh was: don't forget about the potential hurdles of the ID & bracelet (both of which have easy work-arounds). All valid points which he (and anyone else involved) may not have known but certainly do now... courtesy of the individuals who took the time to post the information.

My intention was to let both he and any potential buyer know that this happens all the time... and the reality of the situation is that it's no big deal. Odds of getting busted are more like getting struck by lightning... while break dancing on the moon. I digress...

Rather than take Lisa's reply so literally, take out a few words and perhaps her intent isn't so nefarious after all.

He won't get this blowback on craigslist. He has a bib to sell. If someone wants to buy it... let them do so. He'll recoup his money, they'll get to race. Everyone is happy.

POSTED: 2/04/10 12:29 AM

1. Mocking someone by telling them to "lighten up" condescendingly is a courtesy ?

2. Lisa knows that I want her to by my babies' mamma ... she will deny it but we all know it's true :)

3. You went from 1,2,3 and 7. You are now counting like a Vietcong.

4. You'll probably have a more lively debate if you post the ethics of the rules on slowtwich.com

5. He may not get any blowbacks by posting on Craiglist and that's his prerogative ... but if he posts here then he has to deal with the consequences of folks calling him out.

My originally supposition stands ... Colts 38, Saints 27

Tuan

POSTED: 2/04/10 1:02 AM

1. See my last post regarding email as a form of communication. There was no condescending intent with my use of the term "lighten up folks" as it wasn't directed at anyone in particular. It was meant to bring some levity to the situation and was actually quite innocuous in nature. For anyone who may have been offended or interpreted it in any other way, my apologies.

2. I'm happy for you both.

3. 1, 2, 3, 7 were all replies in which people were citing the rules... which is why they were referenced in that order.

4. I wouldn't bother to post anything on slowtwitch (and I'm beginning to question why I bothered to post here).

5. Nobody should feel the need to 'call him out' on anything. He's got a bib to sell. Some folks let him know there are some rules to consider. I don't see how this topic warrants any further discussion.

Tuan- I don't know you but I've read some of your race reports and they're hilarious. I don't have any idea where you're coming from here- perhaps we can iron it out over a few beers at the next HH.

vatriathlete- don't think I know you either. I didn't think you were harsh on the new guy with your original post.

For the record, I'm no rookie. I'll leave it at that.

-Ferguson

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 2/04/10 7:19 AM

Tuan- First of all, Saints are going to win. Dont' make that mistake again or you and I will have words.

Justin- I have notice you have curtailed the way you post, and have given great info out. Don't stop, good on ya bro.

Everyone else.... Sandy and Justin politely displayed the rules according to USAT. That way people know the consequences of getting caught utilizing someone else's bib. People that may not realize that it will cause you to get suspension or barring from USAT membership if caught. By no means did we say you can't or don't, it was just stated what will happen if causght. There was no jumping on people until after those 2 posts. Sounds like the post is not the problem, but something personal.

Now let's all get ready to rock this season and put our energy to good use on the race courses.(As I sit back at my desk, with Bob Marley playing, "One Love" in the back ground.)

POSTED: 2/04/10 9:02 AM

Jeez... you turn off your computer and this happens! Anyone for a few bars of kumbaya?

Look to set the record straight, I don't feel jumped on, you usually have to pay extra for that. I appreciate everyone's concern over the rules and the posting of the official rule from USAT.

But point standing, I'm trying to unload the bib. If anyone would like the spot, great. If not, also fine. Yes there are assumed risks should someone take me up on the offer as have been adequately pointed out and I am certain now that anyone who would take me up on this would also be quite clear on the matter. Still for sale, let me know if you want it.

No mom jokes, lets all hold hands.

Have a blessed day

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1028
POSTED: 2/04/10 11:55 AM

I agree with Mark.

Saints 34 Colts 28

POSTED: 2/04/10 12:22 PM

fergusen,

i completely agree with you email and forum postings and such leave one to always wonder about tone/inflection, etc. so no worries on that. no offence taken and i'm sure nobody else is really offended on this board, we all take things lightly but at times our snide attitudes/sarcasm/and general joking manner do not come across on the forum.

i have to agree with you, i personally do not like that a lot of races do not have a good number trading/selling system in place. The only race i have ever heard of is the santa barbara tri in california, they had a cool system of if you paid transfer fee of like 25$ you could transfer a number to someone else through the race. The good thing was that the race still got extra money and the person selling didn't really lose anything. I wish more races would do this, but we'll see.

when it comes to Mark... I hate that guy, he is such a loser. (insert cartman voice). and yes i have "slightly" modified the way i post, but you will still get the good with the bad, that's just the way it comes.. lol.

and don't come around here with the kumbaya stuff, i hate that too... and mom jokes are allowed so long as they are new/original/and most importantly extremely funny.

side note: score at 1/2 time colts 17 saints 17

hppeabody's ravatar hppeabody    JOINED: 9/17/09    POSTS: 192
POSTED: 2/04/10 12:26 PM

I think DC Tri club may have just surpassed any other community I have ever been a part of for most drama queens. And I went to a women's college...now THAT's an accomplishment!

And onto more important matters...Tuan, just because you are an ironman does not make you the authority on all matters superbowl. Geaux Saints!

H

(for clarification purposes, since clearly people have difficulty interpreting tone over e-mail, I'm not trying to be patronizing. I am merely amused.)

POSTED: 2/04/10 12:35 PM

Stop hijaking this freaken thread !!!!! READ MY LIPS: Peyton Manning will who dat the Saints.

This is why rational people don't swim in the Potomac or why they back out of swimming in that little river in Philly under the pretense of a wedding ... they don't want to drink too much "river" water and get dillusional and say things like the Saints will win.

I'm going to come back on this thread and gloat like nobody's business come Sunday night. And you think that I acutally gave Mark the honor of transporting my bike to IMFL for me. You sir ... disgust me!

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria