Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

***Official Myrtle Beach 2011 Thread***
CREATED: 08/04/11 by abbyjs REPLIES: 29
abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
***Official Myrtle Beach 2011 Thread***
POSTED: 8/04/11 1:35 PM

I said I'd give you a week before the haranguing began to race the USAT National Club Championship Race in Myrtle Beach, SC, on Saturday (yes, Saturday), October 8! It's been 10 days. :)

WE NEED EVERYONE!!! Even if you didn't race at Regionals, we NEED YOU for Nationals. Scoring for Nationals is different than Regionals. *EVERY* event counts except the relay. Aquabike, Sprint, and Half distances all score the same. Age Group winners get more points than at regionals. There is NO limit on participation points. Clydesdales and Athenas count towards our point totals.

I'm working on securing rooms at the Horizon at 77th (same place as last year). They are excited we are coming back.

Yes, we'll probably get a bus again. :)

Also: FUN TIMES. It's a long weekend. The race is on Saturday. It's at the beach. We'll celebrate.

AND WE HAVE A GREAT SHOT AT WINNING!!!

Okay, enough. Here's what you need to know:

***REGISTER SOON for a great price. http://races.ultramaxtri.com/2011/myrtle-beach/
***Have your USAT ID# ready (if you have one)
***Get a Postmytime Number before you register http://postmytime.com/

MAKE SURE YOU SELECT "YES" for QUESTION NUMBER 7 and ENTER DC TRIATHLON CLUB:

* 7. USA Triathlon Club Championship:
Yes, I want to compete for Club points as part of a USA Triathlon Club member.

USAT Club Name: DC Triathlon Club

Questions? post or e-mail me
abby.sanford19 (at) yahoo.com

--Abby

RE: ***Official Myrtle Beach 2011 Thread***
POSTED: 8/04/11 1:37 PM

And I almost forgot: We will have a "Pre-Myrtle Brick-Nic" on SUNDAY, September 25. Save the date!

--Abby

markhakd's ravatar markhakd    JOINED: 10/8/09    POSTS: 223
POSTED: 8/08/11 8:47 PM

Once you have registered, make sure you let us know here:

http://www.dctriclub.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=Race.view&id=8448E1FE-0B84-803C-DC15C61596CD9A02

POSTED: 8/11/11 9:03 AM

Hey there!

National Club Championships is only ***8 Weeks away!*** I'm sure you have questions about this race and our attempt to win, like:

Q) How are we going to get there? Myrtle Beach is pretty far and I've never travelled that far for a race before!

A) Many people will drive, so there will be carpools. The Board is getting price quotes for a charter bus and a U-Haul. We will get you (and your bike) there!

Q) Where will we stay? Do I need a hotel?

A) The Board is currently negotiating the best possible rates at the Horizon at 77th, the same place we stayed last year. They have fantastic suites with full kitchens, beach access, pools, and are quite close to the race site. No need to worry!

Q) Do we really have a shot at winning?

A) YES!!! Scoring is based on BOTH speed and participation. The DC Tri Club is the third-largest club in the country, and we have some wicked fast people! With a huge turnout, we have an EXCELLENT chance at winning. We got 2nd place last year.

Q) Why does this year matter?

A) Club National Championships periodically moves around the country. It is a safe bet that after 2 years on the East Coast, the championship race will move west. The two clubs that are larger are both on the West Coast. THIS IS OUR BEST CHANCE AT WINNING!

Q) What race should I race to help the club?

A) This is a complicated answer. :)
--First and foremost, there are NO POINTS for the relay. Don't race that. :)
--If you have a shot at Top Ten in your Age Group at a particular distance: RACE THAT RACE.
--If you qualify as an Athena or Clydesdale, please race in that category.
--If you prefer/succeed at aquabike, go for it! Please note that the only aquabike distance available is the HalfMaxx.
--If you are over 45 or under 25... PLEASE RACE ANYTHING AT ALL!!! We need these Age Groups!! Last year, we got beat by a club who had a VERY diverse team. There was ONE WOMAN in the 65+ category, and she got 11 points simply for crossing the finish line.

Q) Do I need to take vacation time?

A) Truth: probably. The race is on SATURDAY, October 8, and you will likely need to travel during the day on Friday or on Thursday night.

Q) What about my family?

A) BRING THEM! With a large enough group of DC Tri people bringing families, we will try to organize babysitting.

Q) What's in it for me?

A) What else? Glory. :) Fun. A great celebration. Pride. A long weekend at Myrtle Beach. Camaraderie.

Q) Okay, I'm registering! Then what?

A) Let us know what race you're doing and what your Age Group is. E-mail me.

Other questions?

Email me: abby.sanford19 at yahoo.com

eric guzmanaalv's ravatar eric guzmanaalv    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 140
POSTED: 8/15/11 12:17 PM

This is the email I received last year from the race after it happened :

First of all, I want to personally thank each and every one of you for racing with us at the inaugural Myrtle Beach Triathlon and the TriSports.com Halfmax National Championships.

First year events always come with challenges. This event was no exception. This was the first time this community has experienced the sport of triathlon. The venue, city and local volunteer support was simply amazing. In the years to come, this race will evolve into one of the triathlon icons in the sport today.

Our entire Ultramax Team takes a lot of pride in our events and we worked so hard on this event. This was indeed one of the more challenging events we have directed.

THE SWIM?
My wife and I have raced all over the world. Trust me when I tell you - I knew what canceling the swim was going to mean to everyone. Canceling that swim was one of, if not THE toughest decision I’ve had to make in my 13 years of race directing.

My team worked on that problem for three solid days. We ran multiple tests in multiple locations. In the end it came down to one simple thing, YOUR safety was my number one priority and I had to keep you safe. We just could not overcome the massive rains the area experienced the days prior to the event. This level of rain is not common in the area. They had not actually had much rain for several weeks prior to the event. This probably contributed to the runoff issues. The SC Department of Health tests the waterway every thirty days. They did not have one single positive test the entire year of 2010. When we researched the venue there was no history of any positive tests in the area. It the sport of triathlon this crops up every once in awhile, unfortunately one of those uncontrollable aspects of triathlon. I have received some amazing support and I thank you for that.

THE RUN
The run course change was made to try to reduce the out and back traffic on a pretty narrow path. That decision ended up causing some confusion with a few athletes. I do apologize to those of you that had issues with the run. We reviewed the course at the pre-race meeting (we need a much larger room next year). We also had map printouts at registration. I was not able to be at the pre-race meeting because we were right in the middle of the water testing issue.

Even so, it was a tough run course to manage. We were hoping a section of road would have been completed prior to the event. This road will be done for 2011 and we are so looking forward to that. Next year that run will be as amazing as that bike course was.

We have already started having meetings and working to expand and improve areas.

Below are the Top 10 things we have already identified. We plan to work all year long to make this race one of the best events in the region.

POST-RACE SURVEY?
We are asking you to help, as athletes you see the entire course, the volunteers, basically everything about the race. PLEASE take the time to complete a very short survey. You will receive the survey immediately following this letter.

1. Redesign the run course and expand the signage on the course. Two loops or one loop? What do you like?
2. We will post the water test results each month for the entire 2011 year on our website.
3. We are purchasing an entire new set of bike racks. They went through a super strong storm this year at Ironman 70.3 Kansas and it seems they really damaged those racks. We had some issues.
4. Change the International distance to a true International distance. ** .9 mile swim - 24.8 mile bike and 6.2 Mile Run
5. We will work to separate the three distances next year to reduce the amount of bikes on the course. We are pretty picky about that. The swim waves and start times were designed to do just that and the cancellation of the swim threw another wrench into that plan. We may even expand to a two day event.
6. The time trial start required us to move around some timing locations. Next year we will have timing boxes at each turn-around point on the bike and run.
7. We really wanted to have a huge expo this year. This first year we had to focus on safety and logistics. Next year we will dramatically expand the expo and our other offerings.
8. There will be no cost to receive your bike next year at the host hotels. We will expand the host hotels in 2011.
9. Packet pickup will not be at the race site in 2011. The parking was absolutely crazy on Friday. We are already working to make this process smoother.
10. We will provide race day shuttle service in 2011. We hated that our athletes had to walk so far this year, even though you are fit enough to do it.

More to come... Stay tuned... Registration will open January 1st... Race date is TENTATIVELY set for October 8-9th, 2011.

Since you raced with us in our first year, we will be offering all participants that raced this year a BIG discount in 2011. We will also open a private registration time period for you in 2011.

My question have anybody here know about this BIG Discount for 2011 because I have not.

POSTED: 8/15/11 12:42 PM

Here is the email I received on May 25th:

-------------------------

New For 2011!

- The water testing done this year has been turning out great and we will continue to test all year long. Historically, the intracoastal waterway has produced outstanding water quality results. That much rain on any body of water will always effect the quality of the water.
- We have simplified that amazing run course. We have gone to 3 Laps Halfmax , 2 Laps International and 1 Lap for the Sprint. This makes the run even more spectator friendly.
- We built all new bike racks for our transition area
- A new set of swim exit stairs have been built in addition to an exit ramp
- Designated as the 2011 USAT Long Course Champinships & USAT Club National Championships
- A new prize money option in the international distance. We will payout 100% of all elite amature prize money division entry fees!
- New USAT Elite Series Race on Sunday. Stay over Saturday night and watch the nation's best race in the Elite Series season finale!
- Same great closed, flat bike course. That course was amazing!
- Great finisher items, shirts, awards, post race food and that amazing host resort!
- We are working on more features now!

HERE IS YOUR DEAL - When you register online, simply use the promo codes listed below for up to 34% off your 2011 entry. These discounts are only for you and last year's Myrtle Beach Triathlon and Halfmax race participants. If you have already registered for the 2011 race, please contact us (http://ultramaxtri.com/contact.html) today and we will gladly send you a refund check for the promo amount listed below. It's that simple.

Sprint - Normal $75 - Discount $25 (33%) = You race for just $50

International - Normal $89 - Discount $30 (34%) = You race for just $59

Halfmax = Normal $250 - Discount $75 (30%) = You race for just $175

-------------------------

The email did not say if there was a deadline for the promo code.

If you were a Myrtle Beach participant last year and did not receive the email with the promo code, just send me a message (click on my username) and I'll send you the codes. However, these are only for 2010 Myrtle participants, who are getting a discount because they spent money on a shortened race last year... please do not ask for the codes if you did not participate in 2010... thanks!

Kevin

POSTED: 8/16/11 9:41 AM

Kevin! Thanks for posting those discounts! Those are fantastic prices for a triathlon... Seriously.

I'm wrapping up the hotel deal: please wait to book your rooms because we will be obligated to fill 20 rooms at the Horizon at 77th. The prices are great and the accomodations are fantastic!

Thanks,
Abby

POSTED: 8/16/11 9:57 PM

Thank you to everyone who is emailing me with their registration info. Keep them coming! Register soon!

POSTED: 8/24/11 7:57 AM

Our hotel block is set! Please note that the cut-off date for reservations is THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 15th.

Happy training!
http://www.dctriclub.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=Learn.buzz&id=495

POSTED: 8/24/11 10:42 AM

I've recently had some questions about whether we are chartering a bus again this year. We are trying ot gauge interest and get a sense of when people want to leave/return. Please respond to our informal poll!

Thanks!
http://www.dctriclub.org/forum/messages.cfm?tid=F16FF1F4-9AC5-CAF2-DD9572299164FFFA&page=1

POSTED: 9/12/11 1:26 PM

Now that Nations is over, I'm throwing all attention back at MYRTLE BEACH and the 2011 NATIONAL CLUB CHAMPIONSHIPS!

It's time to make reservations at the Horizon. Remember that our cutoff date is September 15. Hotel info is available here:

piyushdabomb    JOINED: 5/10/10    POSTS: 84
POSTED: 9/12/11 4:10 PM

Okay so I have a few questions for all of you:

1. I registered a couple months ago. Can I somehow get a discount on the amount i paid for? Anyone know?

2. I'm a HORRIBLE triathlete (amen). So how would my HIM time even help the team exactly? My goal is to just finish my race. Will this help the team?

3. When do we find out about where everyone is staying for lodging? I'm in for whatever.

Let me know.

POSTED: 9/12/11 4:18 PM

Regarding #1, you can get a partial refund if you raced Myrtle in 2010. Here is the relevant info from my post above:

---------------

If you have already registered for the 2011 race, please contact us (http://ultramaxtri.com/contact.html) today and we will gladly send you a refund check for the promo amount listed below. It's that simple.

Sprint - Normal $75 - Discount $25 (33%) = You race for just $50
International - Normal $89 - Discount $30 (34%) = You race for just $59
Halfmax = Normal $250 - Discount $75 (30%) = You race for just $175

---------------

Thanks,
Kevin

POSTED: 9/12/11 4:30 PM

Kevin,
Thanks for that! I want my $30 back, too.

As for Piyush's other questions:

1) EVERY RACER EARNS POINTS FOR CROSSING THE FINISH LINE! (EXCEPT for the RELAY. Don't race the relay. :) )

We even get a "distance" bonus of .35 points per participant, for a total of 1.35 points (no bonus if you are in the Top 10 of your AG, just the extra points for finishing fast). The official rules are here:
http://assets.teamusa.org/assets/documents/attached_file/filename/45678/2011_USAT_Club_Score.pdf

2) The hotel information is here:

Let's do it!

--Abby

POSTED: 9/14/11 1:42 PM

Carpool thread here: http://dctriclub.org/forum/messages.cfm?tid=6888F3CE-B1BA-65DA-BC73FEE8DACAD9E9&page=1

LMR6478's ravatar LMR6478    JOINED: 3/2/09    POSTS: 46
POSTED: 9/14/11 8:13 PM

So...post-Nations, despite having done (most of) my HIP workouts, I think I will die if I actually attempt the HIM distance. Is it possible to switch to Olympic distance? (Or sprint? - I only ask because given my results this season so far I could theoretically place in the top 10 in my age group, if it matters for club points...)

I'm committed to going to this race one way or another (even if I go for 70.3) since my parents live in Myrtle Beach and will be pretty hostile if I tell them I'm not coming.

Thoughts?

POSTED: 9/30/11 2:06 PM

LMR: I'm sure you can switch to the Oly or Sprint!... and then join us (and everybody!!) at the Post-Race Party.

RSVP here:

http://www.dctriclub.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=interact.events&id=592

POSTED: 10/05/11 12:57 PM

Lara:

Do the Aquabike!

Actually: anyone currently registered for the Half as a general entry who would be willing to switch to the aquabike, I will personally buy you a beer on Saturday.

e-mail me: abby.sanford19 at yahoo.com

ajm27's ravatar ajm27    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 128
POSTED: 10/05/11 4:07 PM

You can switch between races. I was scheduled to do the sprint. However because of an injury, I switched to the aquavelo! So it is possible (they responded very quickly about allowing the change) and we can clean up points in the aquavelo, as no one is registered in this division (except Columbia Multisport). They are definitely strategic about this race!

I vote for more aquavelo participants with Abby!

ajm27's ravatar ajm27    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 128
POSTED: 10/05/11 4:07 PM

You can switch between races. I was scheduled to do the sprint. However because of an injury, I switched to the aquavelo! So it is possible (they responded very quickly about allowing the change) and we can clean up points in the aquavelo, as no one is registered in this division (except Columbia Multisport). They are definitely strategic about this race!

I am with abby...We need more aquavelo participants!

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria