Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

2010 Board Nominations
CREATED: 10/27/09 by JoeC REPLIES: 13
JoeC's ravatar JoeC    JOINED: 7/10/05    POSTS: 213
2010 Board Nominations
POSTED: 10/27/09 10:38 AM

The club is looking for motivated candidates for the 2010 board. Next year looks to be another exciting year for the club especially as we make a serious effort to become National Club Champions. If you are interested in helping to shape the club’s future and become more involved this is your chance. Board members will serve for the full calendar year and responsibilities typically range from 5-10 hours per week. If you are interested please post to this thread and let us know why you are a good candidate (i.e., what have you done for the club, what experience do you have, and what would you like to see happen in 2010). Please post by November 16th if you would like to be considered. Responses to this thread should only be to announce yourself as a candidate. Please send questions to president@dctriclub.org

adilks    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 290
RE: 2010 Board Nominations
POSTED: 10/27/09 4:40 PM

My name is Angela Dilks and I want your vote for the 2010 Board of Director’s election. I have been a member of DC Triathlon Club since 2005 and have raced all distances from sprint to Ironman. In 2009, even though I was training for my first Ironman in Lake Placid, I still found the time to dedicate to the Club as a board member. My initial position was as volunteer coordinator where I worked with the Nations’ Triathlon and ITU Race directors to find volunteer coordinators for both races. I also made a successful huge push for volunteers at all the local races. In June, there was a vacancy on the board for the membership position so I switched responsibilities. It took a few months and lots and lots of hours but things are finally up to date. For 2010, I would like to continue to make a huge push for volunteers at races. I also look forward to putting DC Triathlon Club on the National Club map by winning the 2010 National Club Championships.

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1060
POSTED: 10/27/09 5:49 PM

I'm Travis Siehndel and I'm running for the 2010 Board of Directors. I've been a member since 2005 when I signed up for NTP. Since then I've served the club as an NTP co-leader and roles on the board have included Communications Director, NTP Director and Club President. Outside of the club, I've served the triathlon community through heavy involvement with the Nation's Triathlon, the Dextro Energy ITU race and as a regular volunteer with AchieveDC, a non-profit program designed to teach inner-city youth the benefits of a healthy lifestyle while training to compete in their first triathlon.

For 2010, I'd love to serve the club by lending some grandfatherly help to NTP and working with our merchant partners. Nikki Shue has done a great job our merchant partners the last few years and I'd like to continue to nurture the great relationships we have with those partners. Finally, whether I'm elected or not, I plan to help with the DC Tri push to become Nat'l Club Champs in 2010. Keep your November race schedules open and start planning your trip to South Carolina - it will be EPIC!

Thanks for your consideration.

jules    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 110
POSTED: 10/29/09 9:36 AM

Hi, my name is Julie Kennedy and I would like your vote for the DC Tri Club Board of Directors. I joined DC Tri in 2007 as part of the NTP class and I completed my first triathlon....I was hooked! Since then I have participated in olympic distance triathlons and Half IMs and I completed my first Ironman race in July.

In 2008 I volunteered as one of the NTP Coordinators which was a terrific experience. This year I focused my energies on developing and coordinating the club's first Half Ironman Training Program. I also served on the Board as the Event Coordinator. In this role I organized many club events including the Columbia Bric-Nic, the Nations Bric-Nic, the Savageman Training Weekend and various post-race BBQs.

We have a large club and our membership has diverse interests and training needs. To get a better sense of the needs of our club members, I distributed the club members' survey which provided the Board with valuable feedback from the club members that we can use to focus our efforts on those things that are most important to all of you. An expanded offering of group training opportunitites for club members of all levels, additional open water swimming opportunitites and more training tris are some the things that were requested by club members and that I would focus on helping to implement. I would also continue to evaluate the programs and events that the club offers and initiate new programs/events based on the needs of our club members.

I would like to see DC Tri continue to build it's reputation through participation in national competitions such as the National Club Championship....and of course to continue to dominate on the regional level as the Regional Club Champions!

I love the DC Tri Club and I would be honored to serve again as a Board member. Thanks for your consideration!

Julie

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1044
POSTED: 11/03/09 8:57 PM

Hi, my name is Hugh Harris and some of you know me as the race director for this past year. I have been a member of the club since 2006 and love every thing about this club. This past year I worked on the Board of Directors as the club’s race director of events, including duathlons and training tris. I enjoy every aspect of putting on club races so people can practice their skills before their actual race. I take great pride knowing that everyone is able to have a successful and fun-filled event. In 2010, I wish to continue in this same role and am open to suggestions about the club races. I would also like to push and encourage involvement in swim meets that are offered through the USMS. I would also like to see DC Tri make a strong showing at the National Club Championships next year. If not elected, I will continue to be involved in the club and strongly encourage the members to lend a hand when they can.

This past year it has been a privilege to serve on the board. Thank you for your consideration. -Hugh

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 11/04/09 10:23 AM

deleted

chad0022's ravatar chad0022    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 326
2010 Board Nominations
POSTED: 11/06/09 4:20 PM

Hello,

My name is Amanda Chadwick and I am interested in continuing to be an active member of DC Tri's Board of Directors. I served on the board this past year focusing on training opportunities for our members and helping out with the Half Iron training Program (HIP). My goal was and continues to be to provide and promote many different opportunities for members of ALL levels to swim/bike/run in both a training and race environment. I feel one of my biggest strengths that I bring to the Board is my perspective from the back of the pack – and lately the WAY back of the back :::^D::.

I truly appreciate how DC Tri has evolved into a welcoming environment for ALL levels of triathletes and I would like to see the Club continue to move in that direction.

This past year you may also have seen me volunteering at training tris, the Mid-Atlantic Championship in North East, and Nations Tri, as well as an enthusiastic participant in many happy hours. I had a great time on the board this year and would love the opportunity to serve again.

Thank you for your consideration!
Amanda

pserfass's ravatar pserfass    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 432
POSTED: 11/09/09 9:54 PM

I'm Patrick Serfass and I want your vote to be elected to the 2010 Board of Directors. I've been a member of the club since its formative days in 2002, and have supported the club since then in regional and international races from the sprint distance to the 70.3 World Championships and all kinds of club events.

DC Tri has developed a national reputation for our New Triathletes Program, which clubs all over the country have copied with success. I'd like to make sure that we continue to offer strong support to new triathletes to reach their athletic goals. At the same time, I think it's important to make sure that our club supports more seasoned athletes striving to be competitive at an elite level. It’s important for the club to make sure that there are club activities that support all levels of triathletes, whether it’s finishing with confidence or striving for a place on the podium. If successful, I think that diversity will translate into an even stronger and more capable club that will continue to be welcoming to new members while ensuring member retention as our current members discover higher levels of racing success. The club has been very well run and led throughout the years, and as it matures, I would like to help ensure its continued growth and long-term success.

As a native Washingtonian, I bring 15 years triathlon racing experience and 7 years experience managing non-profit organizations in DC. Most recently, I was also one of the 4 racers who helped DC Tri win 3rd place at this year's National Club Championships in Oklahoma. I want to make sure all of our athletes feel DC Tri support for a successful 2010 season and, whether I'm racing or supporting racers, I KNOW we can take 1st place in 2010!

Thanks for your consideration!
-Patrick

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
POSTED: 11/10/09 10:02 AM

Each of us running for the board highly values service to this club; we put effort into making this club better and will continue to do so, regardless of whether we are elected or not. Last year I was on the board, but due to difficult personal and professional circumstances, I was unable to fulfill the high standard of service required for my position, and therefore resigned. I admit it was a tough time. There is nothing I can do about the past, but, looking forward, I offer you my dedication and commitment to the club.
Since that time, I have continued to be committed to the club and its members through a multitude of activities and events. For example, I organized and coached open water swims, volunteered at the training tris and other events, and moderated our popular Ironman seminar. You know me as someone who can typically be found "in the field" trading advice with newbies and vets alike, facilitating group workouts and pre-race events, and motivating others. Now I hope to offer you more.
As a board member, my priority would be to bring the process of strategic planning back into focus. A year ago, our board met and in a facilitated session, discussed a plan for the club. The strategic issues that our board agreed the club faced included: growth (ideal membership size); increased training opportunities and training at a higher level; improved board operations; greater board continuity; expanding the successful NTP model into other arenas; club success at key races; serving elite athletes; developing a grant program; and other issues involving the board's outreach and volunteer initiatives. We have made great strides, and, as a member of the board, I will continue to focus on strategic planning and seek to keep you informed of our progress.
Some other ideas I have include:
* DC Tri Sponsored Coaches. USAT is holding a coaching clinic in April 2010 in Maryland. Why not sponsor a couple of experienced veterans to become coaches in return for helping our members?
* A DC Area Single Athlete Seminar. Combine the unique needs of the DC athletic community with real dating and relationship coaches who do this stuff for a living (not your triathlete buddy giving you the same advice).
* Making the Elite Athlete Program a Reality. Compete in xx number of races wearing a DC Tri jersey (photo proof), place in at least xx of them in the top xx of your category, and you will receive $xx. The blanks we will fill in as a board.

On our board (and in our club President/Vice-President), we all want someone who knows this club -- from the small nuances to the big-picture. You want your board to bridge the gap between our members from years past and our newest members. You want your board to be active and involved in club activities so that you know them by name and face - they should understand your issues and value and be receptive to your input for club planning. I believe as a member of the board, I can successfully fulfill that role. Because I love this club so much, I will serve in any capacity, from President down to mailroom clerk. Thanks for your consideration. Simon

gwcrew2000's ravatar gwcrew2000    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 127
POSTED: 11/10/09 4:48 PM

I'm Steve Carlson and I am running for the 2010 Board of Directors. I joined the club last year but have been doing triathlons since 2001. I have competed in all distances of triathlon (doing my first IM Nov. 29th). Since joining DC Tri, I have become an NTP mentor and have volunteered for several club races. I coached a collegiate rowing team for two years which gave me experience in how teams/clubs operate and how they should be run. I have enjoyed my time with DC Tri and would be honored to be on the Board of Directors

In 2010 I would like see a few things happen:
1. Make a stronger presence around the city. We have all seen NCVC or Squadra Coppi teams in the same kit as they ride around the city as a peleton. It turns heads and they have instant credibility as athletes. While triathlon is an individual sport, that does not mean we should look like a group of individuals who happen to be riding/running/swimming together. I think if we find ways to subsidize team gear or create incentives for people to show off that they are a part of DC Tri, we will increase our presence as a club.

2. Elevate the quality of training and racing. I am on the same page as Simon and Patrick, we should have an Elite Athlete Program with incentives based on performance as well as participation (which I will talk about in my next goal). The club has a few good formal programs such as NTP and HIP, which are designed for athletes competing in their first triathlon or first half. We don't have (or I am unaware of) a structured program for helping the experienced triathlete go from being a middle of the pack age grouper, to placing. This could be through coach led workouts or simply helping athletes create a seasonal race schedule and training plan that optimizes their individual schedule.

3. Participation- I would like to see an increase in participation at regional races, organized workouts, happy hours, and club races (not just the training tri's but the swim meets, duathlon, time trials).

I think those three goals will help with the common goal in all of the other candidates' postings: Win Club Nationals!

Thank you for your consideration.

rnigro's ravatar rnigro    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 23
POSTED: 11/13/09 9:43 PM

My name is Rachelle Nigro, and I am a candidate for the DC Triathlon Board of Directors. I would be honored to have your vote. I have been doing triathlons since 2007, and I have been a club member since January 2008. The club has helped me grow as an athlete, and every member I have encountered has been welcoming. Earlier this year, I volunteered to coordinate the monthly “NW Tri Club Happy Hour.” By providing regular opportunities for members to socialize together, the happy hours have been a fun and successful way to foster a greater sense of club identity. I would like to see the club remain open to members of all levels of athletic ability and to ensure that all members feel they have a place in the club. I would also like to see the club continue explore ways of building membership through events that combine triathlon sports with lively social activities. Thank you very much for your consideration!

sandyc's ravatar sandyc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 288
POSTED: 11/14/09 6:28 PM

My name is Sandy Chiang and I'm running for the 2010 DC Tri Club Board of Directors. I first joined DC Tri in 2008 as part of the New Triathlete Program. I was very active within my NTP class with helping to organize group workouts and social events. I found my NTP experience to be so amazing and rewarding, that I decided that I wanted to give back to the program and served as a NTP co-leader in 2009. It was a busy year for me as NTP co-leader, coordinator for the spring Sugoi tri gear order, and as a participant in the Half-Ironman Training Program (HIP) training to complete two 1/2 IMs. Additionally, when a vacancy on the board opened up in August, I stepped in as the Volunteer Coordinator, helping to coordinate volunteers for races and events. And now in the off-season, I am the coordinator for this year's USAT National Club Challenge.

In 2010, I plan on continuing to support NTP while also serving as a co-coordinator for HIP. DC Tri has played an integral part in helping me grow as a triathlete (I started as newbie who didn't even have a bike!), and I hope to continue to introduce and share the love of the sport to people of all speeds, shapes, sizes, and athletic backgrounds. I would like to see the club continue to develop programs to support the diverse needs of our members such as speed development programs and more support for our elite athletes (as well as an IM training program for 2011...wink, wink). I hope to continue to encourage members to be more active within the club and sport by volunteering. My belief is that if you race, you should also volunteer. Volunteering gives you a new perspective and appreciation for all the work that goes into an event, which in my opinion ultimately makes you a better athlete. Also, since DC Tri is an all-volunteer organization, it is dependent upon members giving back to the club to help it succeed. I am committed to the ongoing growth and success of DC Tri Club, and I hope to see us continue to dominate the Mid-Atlantic region and bring home the 2010 National Championships! Thank you for your consideration.

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 11/14/09 8:29 PM

Whats up! I'm Andy Blatecky and I am interested in being elected to the 2010 Board of Directors.

I have been participating in triathlons in some shape or form since my college days at James Madison University. While there, I was able to get some great experience on their elected Executive Board for a few years performing treasurer duties, managing the club website, designing club gear, placing gear orders, and building sponsor relationships. I also assisted in sharing this great sport with budding athletes on a college (read: shoestring) budget. I was also lucky and grateful to be selected as a club representative for Club Nationals in 2008 and think we were successful in showing other clubs across the country what DC Tri is all about.

With that said, I'm motivated to provide value to both the board and club wherever its needed. I agree with what others have already stated: that there is a need to create programs to both continue to develop athletes in the club at all distances but to also find ways to retain those who reach a certain high level of competitiveness. We still must not lose sight of the greater goal of the club to build "camaraderie among local triathletes and to build interest in the sport of triathlon throughout the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area" - across all levels and abilities. I would look to build off the strength of the NTP and HIP programs to find ways of incorporating triathletes both new and old.

Elected or not, I look forward to a fun-filled 2010 season with all my friends in the DC Tri Club.

Cheers and thanks for reading!
Andy

JoeC's ravatar JoeC    JOINED: 7/10/05    POSTS: 213
POSTED: 11/16/09 12:46 PM

Reminder if you are considering the board today is your last day to nominate yourself

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria