Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Tri Bike Transport -- shipping gear bag worth it?
CREATED: 11/29/10 by kkaufer REPLIES: 5
kkaufer's ravatar kkaufer    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 126
Tri Bike Transport -- shipping gear bag worth it?
POSTED: 11/29/10 12:53 PM

I'll be using TBT for the first time next year. Just wondering if folks who've used them in the past think that shipping a gear bag through them instead of schlepping it yourself is worth the extra expense? Does anyone have any good/bad experiences they can share? Thank you!

seewhatucando's ravatar seewhatucando    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 116
RE: Tri Bike Transport -- shipping gear bag worth it?
POSTED: 11/29/10 1:48 PM

It can save you a few bucks on a checked bag fee if you are flying to your race because you can put liquid toiletries in it so you can carry on your bag when you fly and also you can send other items you can't take on the plane like CO2 cartridges. I thought it was handy just to have one less bag of crap to schlep through the airport.

ryan's ravatar ryan    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 15
POSTED: 11/29/10 1:56 PM

Ditto.

Definitely worth it. But if you are sending a wheel bag you can stuff most of your gear in that and save the fee. I have one of the larger Zipp wheel bags and that worked well for IMAZ.

merlinkim's ravatar merlinkim    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 295
POSTED: 11/29/10 2:05 PM

For the cost of CO2s/checked bag fee, it essentially pays for itself. Just remember that the bags will get piled on each other, so helmets and other fragile things in the gear bags are a no-no.

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 457
POSTED: 11/29/10 2:19 PM

You may also be able to find someone driving to the race that can take your extra bag...

rah2774's ravatar rah2774    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 247
POSTED: 11/30/10 12:02 PM

I agree, definitely worth it... you have less to worry about (including, as someone already pointed out, dealing with how to get your CO2 there). Not to mention you won't have to pay for extra checked bags at the airport... or overweight luggage as gear tends to be heavy.

I didn't pack my helmet or my rear cage, though... they were wrapped and in my carry on to avoid breakage.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria