Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Anyone done Philly?
CREATED: 03/18/12 by LauraP REPLIES: 3
LauraP    JOINED: 1/22/12    POSTS: 7
Anyone done Philly?
POSTED: 3/18/12 10:05 PM

Since the DC Tri is out, my fellow NTPer/roommate and I were thinking of doing the Philly tri as our goal race. Anyone done it? Loved it? Hated it? Good for a first tri experience? Any and all input would be much appreciated. Thanks!

PamS's ravatar PamS    JOINED: 1/26/10    POSTS: 363
RE: Anyone done Philly?
POSTED: 3/19/12 9:33 AM

I haven't done it but here are a few race reports

http://www.dctriclub.org/forum/messages.cfm?tid=4ADA8864-9CA5-8D13-A9C4DF8437033D02

hamburger1971's ravatar hamburger1971    JOINED: 8/13/09    POSTS: 46
POSTED: 3/19/12 12:28 PM

Hi Laura. I was one of the posters from the linked thread, and I did this race again last year as well. I guess it's a good sign that I went back :-)

I still think it's a fine race - it's not perfect, but they never are. Last year I was in one of the last waves, and while I had to contend with slower people from waves in front of me, it was never awful. I actually think the bike was less crowded than Nations', though as an NTPer I know you don't have that frame of reference. The bike course is 2 loops, and there are two fast downhills that are followed by quick/sharp turns that you have to be aware of, but nothing terrible. And there's one steep uphill that STINKS but it's manageable; as long as all of your training rides aren't on a totally flat course then you'll be fine.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the race, just be prepared for a long walk to transition and a bus ride over to the swim start. Oh, and per my comment about the tech shirt - the 2010 version is probably still my favorite, but last years was awful.

Good luck!

Jeff

hahleewude's ravatar hahleewude    JOINED: 12/18/10    POSTS: 5
POSTED: 3/19/12 8:43 PM

Philly was my first Oly. I thought it was a great fit. My first was Rumpus (sprint) and it wasn't the best experience (I freaked out on swim), but finished... became a triathlete.

I enjoyed Philly. I liked the swim better than Rumpus - pretty straight until the turn to land. A HUGE plus as sighting at Rumpus was not my strength. Rumpus was more of a triangle. (Also, it wasn't wet suit legal for the Oly... and it really boosted my confidence when I finished strong)

The transition was nice for both the bike and run - Rumpus (muddy) and Columbia you had to run up hills to exit :-(

I enjoyed the bike course. Although there was several hills, the down hills were fun and the course was pretty spread out for me. At no point was I hating it. BTW: the bike is my weakest link.

The run was flat... nice for my first Oly. It was an out and back so seeing fellow DCTri racers was a huge boost for my confidence.

I would totally do Philly again - unfortunately this year it falls on my daughter's birthday!

Good luck!

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria