Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Aerohelmets on Sale at Contes
CREATED: 06/16/11 by abbyjs REPLIES: 16
abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
Aerohelmets on Sale at Contes
POSTED: 6/16/11 2:14 PM

Conte's has the Giro Advantage 2 on sale for 35% off. Marked down from $170 to $110. I just picked one up.

It is the most cost effective way to pick up time on your bike!

http://triathlete-europe.competitor.com/2011/02/14/aero-wheels-aero-helmet-money/

-Abby

ballstoncyclist's ravatar ballstoncyclist    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 495
RE: Aerohelmets on Sale at Contes
POSTED: 6/16/11 2:46 PM

And all this time I thought that training was the most cost effective way to pick up time on the bike.

urbanlumberjack's ravatar urbanlumberjack    JOINED: 3/25/09    POSTS: 143
POSTED: 6/16/11 3:02 PM

No time to train, have to work overtime to pay off these zipps!
:-P

abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
POSTED: 6/16/11 3:12 PM

Well, as they say "time is money," and 10 hours on the bike a week isn't particularly cheap. :-P

In terms of gear acquisition intended to cut down your bike time, an aerohelmet is the most cost effective.

Happy shopping!

slowtwitchva's ravatar slowtwitchva    JOINED: 2/18/10    POSTS: 207
POSTED: 6/16/11 3:34 PM

I am fundamentally at odds with Conte's Arlington. I would rather pay $600 for the same helmet elsewhere. Thanks for the heads up, I just want everyone to know how I feel.

POSTED: 6/16/11 3:39 PM

Can we get some background on this? Bad experience with them?

rtroll's ravatar rtroll    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 507
POSTED: 6/16/11 3:47 PM

Hey Wes and Matt -

This is a good opportunity to provide me with some open and honest feedback on your feelings about all of our partnerships including Contes.

If you haven't already done so please take 5 minutes to complete our partner survey. As good measure, you'll get entered into a raffle for a Jet Blue airline package.

Here is a link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SWNKJT7

Ryan
DCT Partnership "Guy"

POSTED: 6/16/11 3:53 PM

Filled it out last week, already planning my jetblue vacation :)

Didn't mean to hijack the link, but it seemed a bit inappropriate to me for someone to post "one of our retail partners sucks, that is all" without any explanation...

slowtwitchva's ravatar slowtwitchva    JOINED: 2/18/10    POSTS: 207
POSTED: 6/16/11 4:08 PM

@rtroll- Just completed the survey!

@urbanlumberjack - I took my 2010 P3 there a few months ago to have new carbon aerobars (which I purchased from Contes) installed and new cables run. The mechanic working on the bike called me and told me that he found some cosmetic damage on the BB from a chain jam and he wanted to double check it for structural integrity. I agreed. I received a call 1 hour later telling me that the bike is no longer rideable and I have 2 options: 1) ship the bike to have the carbon re-woven for about $800 and be without the bike for 3 weeks or 2) throw the frame in the dumpster and buy a new one. Option 1 was not possible since this was 2 weeks from IM 70.3 Texas which I had already registered for, planned travel, etc... I told the mechanic I wanted to pick up my bike and think about my options. He told me that they would not rebuild my bike since it would place liability on the shop if I were to ride it and the carbon fails, throwing me over the bars. I carried it home in a box, since it had literally been completely stripped down.
Luckily, the next day, Bonzai was having their tri expo and the regional sales rep for Cervelo would be in attendance. I stopped by to get a second opinion, and the Cervelo rep and both mechanics at Bonzai told me the bike is completely fine and that the damage is strictly cosmetic. Relief was my first reaction. I glad paid Bonzai the $150 to rebuild my stripped down bike so it would be ready for TX. I feel cheated that a bad diagnosis by Conte's cost me a $150. I would totally understand if it was simply one mechanics word vs another, but the confirmation was issued by a Cervelo employee. I called and emailed the manager at Contes on multiple occassions about the incident and expressed my feelings that its unfair that I be stuck with a $150 rebuild fee after they refused to rebuild my bike due to a bad diagnosis. My emails and phone calls fell on deaf ears. I vowed to never step foot in that store again, and have not been there since. I don't care if they are selling aero helmets for $0.99.
Contes is clearly a power player in the bike shop world, and they sell very high end merchandise. I know that losing my business won't even show up on their balance sheet, but its the limited power that I have in this situation, so I'm using it.

ferguson's ravatar ferguson    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 213
POSTED: 6/16/11 6:31 PM

hey Ryan- I got some open & honest feedback on Conte's. Just check their Yelp! page. Pretty much sums it up. I especially like the one written by Conor Q on 12/16/10

Bonzai is no better. Glad they were able to help in this particular instance (and they had an awesome setup at the expo) but that isn't indicative of their operation.

Amazing the bullshit you see from the other side. Sad, but the reality of the situation is that there's not a shop in town worthy of a true partnership with DCT. Hopefully that will be changing soon!!

-Ferguson

pgfde121's ravatar pgfde121    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 236
POSTED: 6/16/11 10:35 PM

If Christie Wellington can win Kona with a standard helmet safe to say no one at this level really needs to go buy one. Suckers for aero arguments keep filling the pockets of these manufacturers...the truth is the only savings you gained is from $125 less in your wallets...

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
POSTED: 6/16/11 11:02 PM

Chrissie* Wellington could win races on my commuter bike. That doesn't mean it's wise for me to race it. There's a reason every single bike racer and 90% of pro triathletes wear them, and trust me, it's not because they are cool looking.

POSTED: 6/17/11 7:55 AM

Yes for pro level athletes where seconds make a difference between large purse prizes and nothing it can be a valuable aid. People at that level have already maxed out their bodies and training. For just about everyone in our club it's really not worth the money. The aero benefits really only accrue at certain speeds and yaw angles. Much like aero wheels in which the benefits are only realized above 22 mph. However how many people went out and bought wheelsets before putting a bit more training time in which would have paid off a lot more than wheels or a helmet? I think that much like weight loss and diet plans everyone wants to go do what's easy to get ahead when the solution isn't necessarily buying a product but instead maxing out your potential.

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
POSTED: 6/17/11 2:53 PM

Well, let's just say I disagree. Aero helmets provide a measurable, not insignificant time savings for riders of almost all abilities, not just those flying along at 25mph. In the neighborhood of 3-5 minutes for an Ironman, and 30-60 seconds for an olympic. There is less drag savings for someone going slower, but the time savings is usually equal or greater because they are on the course for longer.

Whether that's "worth" $100 is up to the buyer to decide.

ferguson's ravatar ferguson    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 213
POSTED: 6/17/11 3:44 PM

Giro is coming out with a new faster helmet, thus the reason for the markdown of the 2010 Advantage:

http://www.bikerumor.com/2011/05/09/giro-debuts-selector-aerodynamic-time-trial-helmet/

As for the benefit of an aero helmet, all credible industry resources generally agree that the best ROI (return in speed vs. money invested) in the sport (for ALL athletes regardless of ability) are as follows:

1. tight-fitting tri kit
2. aero helmet
3. proper bike fit

The industry generally backs studies showing that an aero helmet will save a rider (regardless of ability) roughly 40 seconds over a 40K TT.

Depending on the product, there may be some additional gains above a certain speeds / yaw angles but that in no way implies that slower speeds yield no advantage. Quite to the contrary, most recent studies conclude that slower riders reap more benefit from these products than faster riders.

So, for Tommy Age-grouper trying to qualify for Kona, hit their first podium, or just go faster... an aero helmet is a great investment.

Now get out there and train hard!!!

-Ferguson

POSTED: 6/17/11 3:45 PM

FYI, pretty interesting study from MIT, which is nice to see unbiased results and independent testing:

http://dspace.mit.edu/bitstream/handle/1721.1/40486/191803811.pdf?sequence=1

On average, looks like a 3-5% power gain for amateur athletes putting out 225W on average. If you are going for a podium, maybe something to consider.

However, if you are getting passed by people on 12 year old bikes with standard helmets and riding in shorts and t-shirts...

POSTED: 6/17/11 4:25 PM

You guys all forget the most important part - the WWWWHHRRRR sound the helmet makes totally makes you feel like you are going twice as fast. I'm only half kidding... if you THINK it makes you faster, it probably does.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria