Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5   Next Page

PeasantMan Triathlon - The Peasant's Retreat - Join the Revolution folks!!
CREATED: 03/09/11 by dsgrunning REPLIES: 93
dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1319
RE: PeasantMan Triathlon
POSTED: 3/14/11 12:51 PM

Correct! General registration opens Thursday March 17th. I will provide the appropriate link on Thursday morning. Everyone is welcome to sign up including non-DCTri folks. Please make sure that they shower first.

The only people allowed in at the moment are NTPers ... well, the first 50 NTPers. The 51st one will have to wait until Thursday.

Tuan

dmd326's ravatar dmd326    JOINED: 10/28/10    POSTS: 70
RE: PeasantMan Triathlon - The Peasant's Retreat - Join the Revolution folks!!
POSTED: 3/14/11 1:01 PM

I'm in. :)

RE: PeasantMan Triathlon
POSTED: 3/14/11 7:05 PM

Ok ... since the CIA have locked down the NTP only thread concerning PeasantMan(http://www.dctriclub.org/forum/messages.cfm?tid=B5588291-DA50-A568-C722117152B07A64&page=1 ), I will use this thread to answer the questions posed over there.

1. To Diane (dmd326): There are three types of camping there and I will give details later on how to secure them. The first option is to pitch a tent. The second option is what they called "camp lodging." Basically its a bunk bed cabin that can fit 6 people. You need to bring sheets. It's a cute little cabin. The third option is the "cabin lodging." It's a cabin with separate rooms and bathrooms.

2. To Stephanie (SBsteph), the event starts at 9:00 AM. Assuming the worst possible case scenario, your swim time is 1 hour, bike 2 hours, run 2 hours. That's 5 hours total. 9 AM + 5 hours = 2 PM. Let's say you run into traffic and it takes you 2 hours to drive home. That's 2 PM + 2 hours = 4:00 PM. If your flight leaves at 7:00, that gives you 3 hours to shower, get your things, and go to the airport. Keep in mind that there are shower facilities at Lake Anna so you could shower there before you go home.

3. To Jason (jbrez): You WILL probably need a wetsuit this year. Different people react to water temperature differently but I think that most people will have one on. It may be good practice in case the DC Triathlon is wetsuit legal. It will be a lot better for you if your first mass swim with a wetsuit occurs in a situation like PeasantMan than a live situation like the DC Triathlon or Nations. It will better prepare you for the DC Triathlon.

We are currently working on getting a wetsuit vendor to be at the event for you to rent a wetsuit. It's about a 50/50 chance at the moment. You can go to Bonzai or Conte to rent a wetsuit. The reasons why the video show people without wetsuit last year were because the event was help on July 25th and the temp was around 90 degrees. It was also held at Sandy Point last year whereas it's at Lake Anna this year.

Any other questions, please post here since I can't reply on the other thread.

Tuan

POSTED: 3/15/11 8:15 AM

NTPers ... slots are filling up fast. Don't wait! This event will sell out once it goes live to the general membership. If you don't sign up now, you will regret it come May. Don't worry about whether you are ready to do a tri by May 8th. The whole purpose of this event is to help get you ready. Open water swim opportunities with the masses do not happen every day.

It's not only a great prep training opportunity but a chance to socialize, party, and hang with your fellow club members. There are a lot of experience and knowledge available at the event site to help you out with the little mundane things about triathlons that you just can't get from a book or a clinic. The best way to learn is to actually do it live. Make all of your stupid mistakes prior to race day so that you won't repeat them on race day.

Tuan

POSTED: 3/16/11 10:13 AM

Just an FYI: We are shutting down the PeasantMan NTP only registration link at 5:00 PM tonight. If you are an NTPer and do not sign up, you will have to fight with the masses for the slot once we open up general registration.

We will open up general registration at 10:00 AM Thursday morning. I will provide a link for everyone to register at that time.

On a side note, the Park Rangers at Laka Anna gave us the ok to build a bon fire on site. There is a designated location for that. Details will be provided later for those who wish to stay at the Peasant's compound the night prior.

Tuan

hwaigand's ravatar hwaigand    JOINED: 2/24/10    POSTS: 53
POSTED: 3/16/11 12:03 PM

Tuan,

I saw on the Lake Anna website that dogs are allowed in the park & some cabins. Will dogs be allowed in the camping area or cabins for the event, if I pay the dog fee? Btw, already registered and excited.

Thanks,

Heather

POSTED: 3/16/11 12:15 PM

Heather,

First of all, thank you for joining the revolution.

According to their web page, pets ARE allowed in the cabins and campground area. They do ask that you have rabies shot paperwork available just in case you are asked.

Please check out this link
http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/faq.shtml

Tuan

POSTED: 3/16/11 12:18 PM

Thanks, Tuan. Just to confirm, there is no Peasant Man restriction on brining my dog into the cabins reserved for this event? Might even bring my mom, too.

POSTED: 3/16/11 12:19 PM

Anther pet/dogs link to emphasize that dogs are allowed.

http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/pets.shtml

POSTED: 3/16/11 12:26 PM

PeasantMan loves everyone :). Bring your pets.

The only thing that I ask is that you don't bring your pets Into the transition area due to safety concerns. People will also be putting their nutrition (gels, energy bars, etc) on the ground so we do not want people's personal properties to be damaged.

Other than that, wherever the park service allows your pets to be, they are fine in our eyes .. Including whatever Saturday night activities that we are planning.

POSTED: 3/16/11 12:33 PM

Totally understand. The idea of the dog high on energy gels is scary, anyway. It's suprisingly much cheaper to pay the pet fee than drop her off for the night.

rah2774's ravatar rah2774    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 249
POSTED: 3/16/11 1:11 PM

here's a gratuitous plug for volunteers... if you can't race (or don't want to race) but still want to experience the fun, please volunteer!

If you're bringing your mom (or friends or family), please volunteer her/them. I wish I could find something for your dogs to do... hmm... I'll work on a way to get the pets in on the volunteer action! :-)

At some point in the near future I'll post a link to a sign in/preference sheet for volunteers. In the meantime, if you can help race week (Fri or Sat in town, Sat at the site, or race day), please shoot me an email: rah.2774@gmail.com

Thanks in advance.

-Becky

POSTED: 3/17/11 10:01 AM

Guys/Gals,

The second greatest day of your lives is here. Next to winning the Nigerian lottery, I can't think of a greater day. It is the High Cloud PeasantMan Triathlon - The Peasant's Retreat registration day. Bring out the family water buffalo because registration is now officially opened! That's right, for $29.99, you can now register for an event that is the envy of all other kingdoms ... including the real ones. To register, please click on the below link.

http://www.highcloud.org/peasantman

I want to remind you all that we sold out last year and expect to do the same this year. Sign up now or regret it later. You can be part of this revolution and enter the Kingdom of Heaven or you can go against the force and burn in hell. The choice is yours.

When registration closed last year, a bunch of you offered your first born to me just to get a slot. First of all, if I walk through the Viet Cong security counter at the Saigon Semi-International Airport with an American kid in tow, they are going to think that I was working for the CIA. They will return my ass back to the U.S. where TSA and immigration will think that I am Vietnamese Al Qaeda for having your child in tow. I am not in the mood for a full body cavity search. Three times is more than enough. You people are not doing me any favors by giving me your child. Save it! ... just give me your $29.99. It's for a good cause. High Cloud Foundation will use your money to help children all over the planet have better lives.

========================
SOMETHING FOR MOTHERS
========================

If there is a woman in your life (i.e., your mother, your wife, etc) who is debating whether to come, bring her along. It is mother's day weekend so we will have a special gift for all mothers in attendance. It's a real gift this time and not a virtual one.

If you are a mother, bring your children or significant other along and make it a true Mother's Day weekend at the Peasant's Retreat. They have cabins (with restrooms, kitchen, and air conditioning) at Lake Anna that will make this a special weekend for all. Also, all mothers at the event get to eat and drink for free at the Peasant's compound.

===============
VOLUNTEERS
===============

We are desperately seeking volunteers. If you can help with packet pickup on Fri (GTown) or Sat(Clarendon), please do so if you can. We also need people at the event site. If you can help, please send our volunteer coordinator an email at Becky <becky@highcloud.org> ... much thanks.

One of the things that we are trying to do is make this as tight nit as possible. This means that if your family/friends are going to be there anyway, why not have them help us out as volunteers? They don't have to volunteer the entire time that they are there. They can help in the morning with festivities around the start line or help man a water station to cheer you on while you run by. By volunteering, they get free access to all of the food and drinks that we provide. Most of all, by volunteering they become more involved and will get to see up close and appreciate what you are trying to do even more.

=================
FREE TREK BIKE
=================

Revolution Cycle has generously donated a Trek commuter bike to us. It's a brand new bike. We will give this bike to the person who raises the most money for PeasantMan through firstgiving (http://www.firstgiving.com/highcloud). Just click on the "Get Started" button. Not only that, we will also raffled off a bunch of goodies for those who participates in this fundraising effort. With about 6 weeks until the event, if you give an honest effort, you will more than likely get the bike.

High Cloud will use all money raised during this time period to purchase bikes for children at some of its offices in the U.S. and abroad. PeasantMan is all run by volunteer efforts. No one in our inner circle is paid a dime. Rest assure that after the PeasantMan expenses are paid, every penny raised during PeasantMan will go toward charity. That is the whole purpose of us organizing PeasantMan ... well, that and to introduce you to the Future King of Saigon.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. My billable hours are your billable hours.

Tuan

POSTED: 3/17/11 10:25 AM

Holly F-ning cow Batman!

50% sold out within 20 minutes!

Hurry before it's too late!!!!

POSTED: 3/17/11 3:46 PM

This new cologne made from the fresh pure Mekong that I am wearing is more potent than I thought .... 90% sold. May need to go out and invest in a gold plated man-zier after all.

Once it sells out, don't be telling me about having to take care of your dying kitten so you couldn't register in time. I don't want to hear about you donating kidneys to the less fortunate.

Tuan

emiline's ravatar emiline    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 7
POSTED: 3/17/11 4:16 PM

I signed up today! So excited about camping and the tri. Looking forward to meeting you all :)

laineym3's ravatar laineym3    JOINED: 7/2/10    POSTS: 122
POSTED: 3/18/11 9:12 AM

Hey Tuan,

Curious if I just wanted to do an open water swim practice, do I register as if I were going the whole event?

I just want to make sure I'm not taking someone else's spot that wants to do the full race.

Thanks!
Elaine

RE: PeasantMan Triathlon - The Peasant's Retreat
POSTED: 3/18/11 9:26 AM

Elaine,

If you are planning to take part in the mass swim with everyone and then the BBQ afterward then please sign up. We need a good head count for food as well as to stay within the boundaries specified by our permit. We have an agreement with the Park Ranger to stay within a certain threshold of the number of participants. We want everyone accounted for.

There is also a requirement by the Park Ranger that we have a certain ratio between the number of swimmers vs the number of certified lifeguards. We want to make sure that we more than satisfy this requirement.

Don't worry about taking slots from people. This is a practice event so if you only want to practice the swim then that's cool. There will be folks there who will do only the aqua-velo. Just consider yourself the first leg of a relay :)

Thanks for joining the revolution.
Tuan

POSTED: 3/18/11 9:50 AM

Wow ... spectacular!!! Just spectacular!!!

We've SOLD OUT in less than 24 hours. I want to thank everyone for signing up.

If you are still interested in this event, please drop me an email offline. You can no longer register online. This sold out a lot sooner that we had anticipated so we will need to round up the war council to plan the next phase of the revolution.

Again, thank you. It will not only be a great event but it is going toward a good cause ... High Cloud Foundation.

Tuan

rah2774's ravatar rah2774    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 249
POSTED: 3/18/11 1:09 PM

Unbelievable... WTC has nothing on us!!! Woo Hoo!

for those of you who didn't act fast enough to get in, remember you can still experience the rising up of the peasant masses by volunteering on race day (the truest peasant experience possible, when you really think about it). Please drop me a note to let me know of your interest and I'll keep you posted! (rah.2774@gmail.com)

@Elaine - if you're in and are only planning to swim, could I convince you to perhaps volunteer... I mean, heck, you'll be there anyway... :-)

thanks!

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria