Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Volunteers Needed for June 16 General Smallwood Brick-Nic
CREATED: 06/11/12 by afava REPLIES: 12
afava's ravatar afava    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 257
Volunteers Needed for June 16 General Smallwood Brick-Nic
POSTED: 6/11/12 11:11 AM

It looks like we're going to have a great turn-out at the Brick-Nic at General Smallwood State Park this Saturday (June 16). We still need a few member volunteers to make it all happen.

Shoot me an email if you can help any of these:
- Bring a med-large cooler with ice
- Gear watch and set-up (8:45 am - 11 am)
- Grill (10:00 am) - ride early and get back by 10 or so to fire up the grill.
- Clean-up

Brick-Nic details: http://www.dctriclub.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=interact.events&id=626

Thanks!

Andrea
training@dctriclub.org

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1293
RE: Volunteers Needed for June 16
POSTED: 6/11/12 3:41 PM

Andrea,

Do you know if we can swim in that lake or is that off limits? At some point I think that I need to get back in the water and see what Hell feels like again.

Tuan

RE: Volunteers Needed for June 16 General Smallwood Brick-Nic
POSTED: 6/11/12 5:06 PM

Hey Tuan, It's my understanding that you cannot swim in that "lake", which is actually more of a river.

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1047
POSTED: 6/11/12 8:07 PM

Why is Tuan asking about swimming? I hope his highness is thinking of others.

POSTED: 6/14/12 12:25 PM

We have more than 100 people rsvp'd for this Saturday but still no one to man the grill. I don't do fire. We need a few volunteers to fire up the grill around 10 am and cook all these burgers that are occupying my freezer. Plenty of time to ride first!

Thanks!

Andrea
training@dctriclub.org

POSTED: 6/15/12 10:44 AM

Just to confirm - there is NO swimming at General Smallwood State Park. From the MTS website:

"Reminder - There is no swimming allowed at Smallwood State Park, other than on race days. It is a very active boating area and "swim bandits" face trespassing citations."

khangrx    JOINED: 2/16/12    POSTS: 15
POSTED: 6/15/12 10:51 AM

Andrea,

I can split time on the grill. Be forewarned everyone, if you get food poisoning then it won't be from me. I tend to burn my burgers or very very very well done!

khang

Pescalita    JOINED: 1/22/12    POSTS: 32
POSTED: 6/15/12 1:44 PM

Sooo, Khang needs supervision while manning the grill. Helpful Khang, helpful.
Andrea, I'll bring a cooler full of ice if you still need more?
Jen

khangrx    JOINED: 2/16/12    POSTS: 15
POSTED: 6/15/12 2:57 PM

Keep it up Jen and your burger is gonna be extra well done...maybe even charcoal. Ohh... and no bacon for you!

Volunteers Needed for General Smallwood Brick-Nic
POSTED: 6/15/12 3:37 PM

Thanks Jen. If you would bring your cooler, I think we'll be set.

We'll interpret any complaints about Khang's well done burgers as an offer to grill at the August Brick Nic.

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 952
POSTED: 6/16/12 2:37 PM

A big thank you to Andrea for putting on a great event today. That park surprised me for being so close and such a nice/scenic park as well. And from what I heard from riders, the roads were very well maintained (tho not very well marked).

But did anyone else experience the police presence on 210 between Indian Head and the turnoff for Waldorf? Either there was some police exercise going on or everyone needs to be aware race day not to speed down that stretch!

On the 8 mile stretch from getting on 210 at Indian Head to the turnoff for Waldorf, there had to have been at LEAST 20 cop cars sitting along the sides of the road. After the turnoff though, not a single cop car. Very weird.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1293
POSTED: 6/16/12 5:53 PM

That stretch of road is notorious for drag racing and motorcycle hotdogging. There have been a few news report about that section. I saw a couple of makeshift memorials from auto accidents in the grassy median on that stretch. I also saw a motorcycle speeding past an intersection I was approaching. I stopped at the red light. Less than a mile later that same motorcycle surrounded by two unmarked cruisers. I thought that I could speed up at that moment since there couldn't possibly be any more cops out there until i saw them at every intersections that I crossed :)

POSTED: 6/18/12 9:31 AM

DC Tri took over Smallwood on Saturday!

Thanks to all the volunteers that made the day a success: Bryan, Jaime, Robin, Vicki, Abby, Ed, Tuan, Pam, Adam, Jason, Rick. And a special shout out to our grill masters - James Wilson and Khang Ho!

We all owe a big thank you to John from the Maryland Triathlon Series (MTS), who took the time to come out and talk to our NTP'ers in prep for General Smallwood.

Finally, folks brought some super yummy salads and deserts to the 'nic. The nicoise and grated carrot salads and the homemade oatmeal peanut butter cookies made my day!!!

Save the date for the Nations Brick-Nic - August 25th at Meadowbrook Local Park.

Andrea

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria