Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Indoor trainer: Kurt Kinetic Road Machine vs 1upUSA CPR A-2000?
CREATED: 10/11/10 by kkaufer REPLIES: 12
kkaufer's ravatar kkaufer    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 126
Indoor trainer: Kurt Kinetic Road Machine vs 1upUSA CPR A-2000?
POSTED: 10/11/10 9:13 AM

With DST ending soon, it's time for me to start looking at indoor trainers. Am debating between the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine and the 1upUSA CPr A-2000. Does anyone have any experience with either one of these? Anything else people would recommend? What do people generally consider 'must have' vs 'nice to have' features?
Thanks.

KingsPoint2001's ravatar KingsPoint2001    JOINED: 11/2/09    POSTS: 99
RE: Indoor trainer: Kurt Kinetic Road Machine vs 1upUSA CPR A-2000?
POSTED: 10/11/10 10:40 AM

I have the Road Machine. I got it and used it all last winter. It seemed to be the right price for me. But compared to the Cyclops trainer, the Road Machine has a knob that is used to tighten the roller against the back bike tire. It was kind of annoying to have to turn it like 5-7 times every time I was setting it up. I think the cyclops allows you to set it up once and allows to snap the roller in place and snap it out. Also the cyclops seems to allows you to quickly lock the bike into the trainer with a quick lock/quick release lever where as with the road machine you have to turn another knob several times to lock the bike in place. It definitely was still a good trainer, I just wish it was easier to get the bike in and out faster.

I haven't used or seen A-2000 you mentioned.

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 10/11/10 12:20 PM

There is also the new Le Mond Revolution trainer, which fits directly onto the frame/cassette. You remove the rear wheel entirely. This saves wear and tear on tires. The trainer will be available for sale later this month. One of the pro cycling teams has already been using this trainer for their warm-ups at races.

It looks interesting. However, I don't think any non-professionals have had a chance to try it out and post a review.

pgfde121's ravatar pgfde121    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 234
POSTED: 10/12/10 12:05 PM

I think the action of both the Kurt Kinetic and CycleOps is generally the same. However, there is a huge difference between set up as mentioned above. We have both at the house, and the CycleOps is the clear winner when it comes to easy set up. Plus, the Kinetic trainers are bright green. If you have a smaller area or have to leave it in the living room, there's little chance it will blend in against the wall. There were two CycleOps trainers in craigslist last week in the $175 range, both basically new. Would suggest keeping an eye out as I bought mine there as well.

kkaufer's ravatar kkaufer    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 126
POSTED: 10/12/10 1:32 PM

Yeah, bright green would definitely not blend in w/ my furniture...I read somewhere that if you get the PRO flywheel w/ the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine it's easier to set up the bike. Has anyone done that?
Thanks for all the feedback so far!

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1299
POSTED: 10/12/10 1:47 PM

I have a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine purchased through Conte via the DCTri group purchase and a 25% discount two years ago. Not sure if it's a pro flywheel or not but it takes me less than 30 seconds to hook up the wheel to the quick release and ride. I don't have to adjust anything ... unless I want to ride at a different tension than the previous ride. I'm a lazy bastard. If it takes more than 30 seconds, it would have been sent to Vietnam to be made into a tank or something.

If might be a good idea to send an email to the DCTri merchant partner person to see if DCTri is doing it again this year. The year that they did it, a lot of members participated. The machine cost $300 but the DCTri program got it for us for $225. Kurt Kinetic sold three different versions at three different prices. Mine was the middle point range. The more expensive was $500 and rumor has it that after you finished, it made breakfast for you.

Tuan

pgfde121's ravatar pgfde121    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 234
POSTED: 10/12/10 2:20 PM

Don't listen to Tuan, he has peasants that set his stuff up for him. Thats how royalty rolls.

JoeC's ravatar JoeC    JOINED: 7/10/05    POSTS: 213
POSTED: 10/12/10 2:33 PM

I actually have both. 1 up is definitely the quietest trainer I have ever ridden. I got the Kurt Kinetic when i started having problems with the 1up locking on me (but eventually had it replaced by 1up at no cost to me). I do like the kurt kinetic both feel pretty comprabale, but if you have any concerns about noise the 1up might be the way to go.

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 958
POSTED: 10/12/10 2:54 PM

Not that I'm a spokesman for them or anything, but REI has the Kinetic Road Machine trainer on sale right now at 20% off.

(And if you want to use my REI member number so that I get the dividend points, let me know! :::^D:: )

Chad's ravatar Chad    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 116
POSTED: 10/12/10 4:24 PM

I would sell anyone who wants it my Kurt Kinetic Trainer for $190 bucks. It has been used once in the past year...go figure...I HATE RIDING THE TRAINER.

But seriously, whoever wants to buy it for $190, hit me up.

jdruke's ravatar jdruke    JOINED: 9/2/10    POSTS: 64
POSTED: 12/08/10 4:29 PM

I just got a cycleops magneto trainer, but my buddy swapped me his kinetic road machine for a little while. I have to admit I've only used it a handfull of times, but it's easier than the road (that's without the 50 pound momentum wheel). Also, it's a little on the loud side.

goshlickit's ravatar goshlickit    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 28
POSTED: 12/09/10 4:11 PM

Chad,

If it is in good shape, you have yourself a deal...

goshlickit's ravatar goshlickit    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 28
POSTED: 12/09/10 4:13 PM

Also, I just realized I picked up this thread about 2 months late....but if Chad's trainer is still available, I am interested.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria