Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Getting my bike to the Philadelphia Tri
CREATED: 04/17/12 by karatfontaine REPLIES: 6
karatfontaine    JOINED: 1/9/11    POSTS: 6
Getting my bike to the Philadelphia Tri
POSTED: 4/17/12 7:36 PM

Hi- I registered for the Philadelphia sprint triathlon after being booted from DC tri. I had thought that I could take my bike on the train but this does not seem to be an option.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get my bike to Philly?

I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

jfriess23's ravatar jfriess23    JOINED: 7/27/10    POSTS: 16
RE: Getting my bike to the Philadelphia Tri
POSTED: 4/17/12 8:52 PM

If you're taking Amtrak, it seems like you should be able to bring your bike though I've never tried it. Here's a link to their policy.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=Page&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241337895554

karatfontaine    JOINED: 1/9/11    POSTS: 6
POSTED: 4/17/12 9:27 PM

I have called Amtrak- the only available time to take my bike on a train is 10:00pm on Thurs or Fri. The return trip is 4:00am on Sun.

Thanks.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1334
POSTED: 4/17/12 11:05 PM

How about packing it in a bike box like a luggage. People pack bike boxes to fly all the time. It shouldn't be an issue with Amtrak. Bike boxes can be rented at any local bike shop in the area. As far as it is concerned, it's just a big oversized luggage.

Rent a car? You can take the wheels off of the bike and put the bike frame either in the trunk or back seat without issues. There is no need for a bike rack.

One year I had a NTP mentee take a bike from DC to NYC via one of the many bus companies in the area. She brought the entire bike without having to dismantle it. She did call ahead to make sure that she could do that before she booked. I forgot what bus company it was. Maybe you can do the same for Philly.

Tuan

legalmoose's ravatar legalmoose    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 222
POSTED: 4/18/12 6:42 AM

Kara,

You could also post either in the NTP forum or in the upcoming races forum and see who else might be going up and whether you could ride-share up with them.

Coach Will

khangrx    JOINED: 2/16/12    POSTS: 16
POSTED: 4/19/12 8:51 AM

Kara,

I'm registered the Oly Philly Tri for the same reason as you. I'm heading up on Fri eve if you need a ride and i have extra room on my bike rack. LMK.

afava's ravatar afava    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 257
POSTED: 4/19/12 10:09 AM

Kara, I share your frustration. I live a few blocks from Union Station and a number of races in Philly and NYC are literally door-to-door via Amtrak . I have spent a number of hours on the phone with Amtrak on this topic. I am wondering whether we can get the WSEM, NYC Triathlon, and Philly Triathlon folks to help convince Amtrak to allow bikes on NE corridor trains on relevant race weekends??? Andrea

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria