Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Let's call "A Half" "A Half"
CREATED: 12/17/09 by rfalkdc REPLIES: 15
rfalkdc's ravatar rfalkdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 45
Let's call "A Half" "A Half"
POSTED: 12/17/09 1:53 PM

I am morally opposed to calling these "13.1 Marathons".
http://www.131marathon.com/

Say you've run a half-marathon with pride! But don't say you've run a 13.1 marathon.

I now prepare myself to be slammed.

Rob

dctexan's ravatar dctexan    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 68
RE: Let's call "A Half" "A Half"
POSTED: 12/17/09 1:58 PM

I agree with you. I also prefer Half Ironman to Ironman 70.3.

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1064
POSTED: 12/17/09 2:07 PM

I agree. One of my pet peeves is when people ask if I'm doing a full 26.2 mile marathon or if it's like the 3.1 mile marathon their friend did last weekend.

I typically forgive it because I know that the only people who ask this are just uninformed but in my head I still think.... YES THERE IS ONLY ONE MARATHON DISTANCE AND IT'S 26.2 MILES LONG!!!!

So when it comes to promoting the sport of running and a series of half marathons, I definitely agree that a race director should use the correct nomenclature to describe their series of half marathons.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1312
POSTED: 12/17/09 2:09 PM

WTF, seriously ? 13.1 Marathons ? My comrades at the VietCong Embassy yield more power than I give them credit for.

kmwpro's ravatar kmwpro    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 269
POSTED: 12/17/09 2:40 PM

Agreed. Can we also complain a moment about the people who ask if you are doing a Half Triathlon? That doesn't even make mathmatical sense.

*Or perhaps you only get half credit if you don't feel the need to warn the volunteers at the finish line to wear gloves to remove your chip. Heh.*

Herminator's ravatar Herminator    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 17
POSTED: 12/17/09 3:35 PM

Hehehehe

I love it when my fellow intellectual property attorneys wreak havoc by registering obnoxious trademarks.

As some of you already know, I've considered registering:

26.6 - I had to run around iPod-wearing walkers

and

70.5 - I can't swim straight to save my life!

rfalkdc's ravatar rfalkdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 45
POSTED: 12/17/09 4:00 PM

You folks have shown the true Festivus spirit with your open airing of a grievance. Let's pull out the aluminum pole. Let the feats of strength begin.

These "13.1 marathon" race directors have sorely disappointed me this year.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 12/17/09 5:18 PM

lol

janice    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 17
POSTED: 12/18/09 10:15 AM

I am hysterical reading this! I agree with you Karen - half triathlon. What the hell is that? Happy Festivus andhope to see most of you tomorrow at the meeting! Hermes, we'll just have to have a beer in your honor.

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 963
POSTED: 12/18/09 10:34 AM

You should call it:

"26.6 - I had to run around iPod-wearing walkers AND furthermore: how did they start off in FRONT of me?"

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 12/18/09 5:30 PM

everyone.

dont be dissing the ipod wearing racers afterall we have had many a person in the dctriclub say in other threads that they should be allowed to wear the ipod because it "pumps them up to go faster in a race and nobody should tell them what to do because its none of your business"

even if that pumping up is walking pace you can't diss them again because we already had a thread on how we should let anyone that can pay into a race becausee your speed should not dictate if you should be let in lest we be labeled "elitest".

afterall, as others have said "as long as more people are running in races and triathlons, that is ALWAYS good and nothing bad can happen"

lol

dctexan's ravatar dctexan    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 68
POSTED: 12/18/09 5:34 PM

deleted

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 12/18/09 5:37 PM

Well I am going to run me a 6.1 mile marathon or even a 3.2 mile marathon, or how about the Celtic 5 mile marathon. It's all retarded.
A 5K is a 5K
10K is a 10k
Half Marathon is a Half Marathon
Marathon is a Marathon
Half IM is Half IM
and IM is IM.
Now a days people feel the need to over exemplify that which they do. I see it more and more in the military. I mean what makes you sound more important to ignorant masses. I did a Half Ironman... or I did an Ironman 70.3. Simply put, race directors are catering to the egos of the masses that obviously need to vindicate their existence and the fact that they have a need to prove they have amassed to some sort of greatness. For the rest of us..... we just want to get to the finish line of the next race, not for anyone, or bragging rights, just because we get to, and we love to.

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 963
POSTED: 12/18/09 6:19 PM

That was a joke....

Good sarcasm is so unappreciated these days.

nbehappy's ravatar nbehappy    JOINED: 5/23/09    POSTS: 135
POSTED: 12/19/09 6:23 PM

i like the 13.1 marathon labelling: it goes along with the 0.5 pregnancy i'm currently celebrating.

lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
POSTED: 1/06/10 1:41 PM

It gets better. I noticed a new follower on my twitter acct. Amica 19.7 Triathlon.

Yes, it exists!

http://www.setupevents.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=event_detail&eventID=1409

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria