Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

General Smallwood Bike Course
CREATED: 06/11/12 by jrbruck REPLIES: 24
npleisch    JOINED: 4/5/12    POSTS: 134
RE: General Smallwood Bike Course
POSTED: 6/16/12 5:40 PM

Kudos to you double-brickers today. Holli, you looked roasted. But well done!

I wish I had seen this post BEFORE this morning. I was one of many that missed that Mason Springs turn. But hey, that meant an extra 3 miles.

Also gotta give credit where it REALLY is due... you all sure know how to cook. The food selection was fantastic. And you guys/gals on the grill... thanks!!!

--Nik

Luke's ravatar Luke    JOINED: 11/28/10    POSTS: 373
POSTED: 6/17/12 6:45 PM

To everyone who did the bricknic ride yesterday-

What is the bike course like? Is it hilly? Are there (m)any technical turns? I read about debris on the road last week... is debris/poor surface conditions still a problem? Do I need to try to get out there to ride the course before race day?

-The guy who missed the bricknic to run the BMore 10 Miler!

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
POSTED: 6/17/12 7:30 PM

I missed the BricNic, so went out today and rode the course. Didn't seem to be any problems with the surface. Maybe it wasn't perfect, but better than most DC roads. Not all the roads had shoulders, but those that did seemed pretty clean.

No technical turns at all. Probably barely have to touch the brakes for any of them.

Seemed that the most difficult part was the first 8 miles, and you could get yourself in more trouble than normal by going out too hard. That first third has about half the total elevation, and all of the steeper stuff. Plus the wind was making it a headwind there. Not sure if that's normal though. After that first 8 miles, nothing seemed like it was steep enough to force me out of any rhythm (but lots of flipping 1-4 gears), plus I picked up a tailwind when I turned on to Port Tobacco (~12 miles in). It was pretty smooth sailing once I hit the halfway point. I plan on being pretty conservative in the first part of that bike.

I will add that I also missed that stupid turn, even after the warnings. I imagine it's not a problem on race day. It's marked as Ironsides Rd, not Mason Springs.

I didn't run the run course, but it seems like it's pretty challenging, with some good sized rolling hills. It hits the start of the bike course...so see above. It finishes with some long downhill back in to the park (~1-1.5 miles maybe, with maybe a short kicker at the end depending on where they put the line), so that's nice at least.

afava's ravatar afava    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 257
POSTED: 6/18/12 9:39 AM

I thought the roads were in good condition and I didn't come across any significant amout of debris.

I was expecting more hills. The course was rolling but if I remember correctly, I hit most of the hills with a good amount of momentum and they were all pretty short so I don't think they slowed me down too much.

Apparently you start both the bike and run on a decent hill out of transition but I didn't go over there on Saturday.

HolliMarie's ravatar HolliMarie    JOINED: 6/21/11    POSTS: 205
POSTED: 6/18/12 9:59 AM

The bike course was fast and fun. Some rolling hills to add excitement. As for trash and debris there were a few boxes and large branches in the road when we clipped in at 6:30 but I think Brez chucked most of it out of the way on our first go around. I would think the road will be clear for race day. A bit of the bike course is nice and shaded as well. Most dangerous thing on the bike course was the few loose dogs we encountered. I wonder if MTS has a way to notify area residents to keep dogs on a chain/inside for race day?

The run course does indeed have some nice sized rolling hills and is not shaded much at all. It's basically an out and back on the first part of the bike course.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria