Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

shoulder discomfort-swim or rest?
CREATED: 06/02/09 by wombat REPLIES: 7
wombat's ravatar wombat    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 266
shoulder discomfort-swim or rest?
POSTED: 6/02/09 12:14 AM

I want to head out to Sandy Point this weekend to get in another swim before the Bay Bridge 4.4 mile swim on 6/15. However, I've been experiencing discomfort in my right shoulder lately. I have full range of motion and can't really describe the discomfort. But sometimes I can hear a popping/snapping noise when I am sitting on my coach and simply reaching for something. I don't feel anything when this happens - I just hear it. It's not an over-training/use thing as I haven't been putting in too much swim time. I think it's just I've been getting lazy and primarily breathing to my left and not balancing it out and bilaterally breathing enough.

So my question - do I go to Sandy Point for a short swim just to scope out the area/swim a bit between the bridge spans before the race or do I rest my shoulder? I refuse to consider going to a doctor until after the race ('cuz I'd be dumb and race it even if doc told me not to), it esclates from minor discomfort to pain, or I lose some range of motion.

Thanks.

Tammy

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1655
RE: shoulder discomfort-swim or rest?
POSTED: 6/02/09 8:03 AM

See a doctor. Injuries can develop from just a little use. I waited several weeks to see a doctor after hurting my shoulder a month ago and am now out of the Bay Swim.

Have a coach or experienced swimmer scope out your technique for flaws.

Swim easy at Sandy Pt. to gain as much pre-race experience as possible while getting medical and technique advice.

suzkinsky's ravatar suzkinsky    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 121
POSTED: 6/02/09 9:05 AM

Is it just a popping sensation, like you would get when you crack a knuckle? Or is there pain associated with it?

When I really ramp up my long distance training my shoulders get tighter. I'll have a mild sensation that something's stuck and then I can produce an impressive pop when I rotate my arm in a circle. This I believe is harmless (like cracking a knuckle). Once my fitness improves or I back off my training, it goes away. Maybe check out some stretching exercises on the web (be careful not to overstretch though - those shoulder stretches we were taught as kids are pretty bad, I understand).

Rotator cuff problems produce PAIN. Mine usually starts with a mild ache in the center of my shoulder - I get the sensation that I want to dig my thumb in there and rub it out. The pain gets worse and more consistent as training continues without treatment and eventually a sharp pain is produced with every stroke. The pain persists after swimming and continues with other normal activity (whereas pain from simple muscle fatigue - which you will encounter much of in the Bay - stops as soon as you stop swimming). I'm told that severe RC damage wakes you up at night, though I've never had that.

Ice is a wonder drug - I try to ice each shoulder for 20-30 minutes after every long swim even if I'm not experiencing pain.

I would caution against swimming between the bridge spans before the race - it's just not safe. The ONLY time they close that to boating and shipping is during the Bay. Stay within the swim buoys at Sandy Point. FYI, I have the lead on a fun group out of Annapolis that does open water swims - I swam with them this past weekend and they were great. I'm happy to pass along the info - e-mail me if you're interested

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1028
POSTED: 6/02/09 11:22 AM

Your race is only two weeks away so the bulk of your training is over. You should go to Sandy Point to get a feel for swimming in the bay. Just take the next two weeks easy, don't push it hard, ice your shoulder and stretch after each swim. Also, stay away from using paddles until you heal.

About three months ago I began to experience pain in my left shoulder. At times I had to quite a workout or take a day off work because of it. My IM race is only three weeks away and there is 'No Way' I am stopping my swimming. People probably call me stubborn, but the light of the tunnel is almost here.

POSTED: 6/02/09 11:26 AM

Your race is only two weeks away so the bulk of your training is over. You should go to Sandy Point to get a feel for swimming in the bay. Just take the next two weeks easy, don't push it hard, ice your shoulder and stretch after each swim. Also, stay away from using paddles until you heal.

About three months ago I began to experience pain in my left shoulder. At times I had to quite a workout or take a day off work because of it. My IM race is only three weeks away and there is 'No Way' I am stopping my swimming. People probably call me stubborn, but the light of the tunnel is almost here. -Hugh

POSTED: 6/02/09 11:26 AM

About three months ago I began to experience pain in my left shoulder. At times I had to quite a workout or take a day off work because of it. My IM race is only three weeks away and there is 'No Way' I am stopping my swimming. People probably call me stubborn, but the light of the tunnel is almost here. -Hugh

drsully's ravatar drsully    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 30
POSTED: 6/02/09 1:24 PM

Tammy,

It sound like a tendon is making that popping noise. If you can repeatly make it pop than more than likely it is a tendon or ligament rubbing over part of the bone. The tendon tightness is cause by excessive tightness in one or more of your rotator cuff muscles. The muslce tightness is usually caused by muscular imbalance of shoulder internal rotator muscles and external rotator muscles. Swimming puts a lot of stress on the internal rotators. I would swim lightly and stretch your rotator cuff muscles and ice your shoulder. Ice more for a preventative measure to prevent a tendonitis from developing. After your race get your shoulder checked out and fix the muscles and try to develop a workout that will correct the muscular imbalance in your shoulder if that is what is going on. HTH

Todd

wombat's ravatar wombat    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 266
POSTED: 6/02/09 2:11 PM

Thanks everyone! Think I'll keep my swims to 2-3 a week, 3000 meters or less, making sure I breath bilaterally and not get lazy and only left breath, without paddles, and ice after I get out of the water. I'll add daily stretching/rotator cuff excerises to ward off/slow down any tendonitis from developing.

I've always had a windmill-style stoke and very flexible shoulders. (People have even asked if I am double jointed but I am not.) Since I was told I sometimes drop my elbows, I do fist drills at the end of each swim and try to remain conscious of this while swimming.

Tammy

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria