DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

First-timer looking for mentor
CREATED: 05/07/12 by tkopan REPLIES: 4
tkopan's ravatar tkopan    JOINED: 4/7/12    POSTS: 46
First-timer looking for mentor
POSTED: 5/07/12 6:23 PM

Hi there experienced triathletes!

I'm 7 weeks out in training for my first triathlon (the Olympic distance Philly tri). I'm looking for an experienced racer who wouldn't mind helping me try open-water swimming a few times and give me some advice about what gear I need for the race, how to prepare, how to practice transitions, etc.

I did a couple open-water swims last August and have done some research on my own, so I wouldn't be starting from scratch, but I'd love to make a new friend and have someone who could help me get down the stretch to the race.

If you have room in your heart to help a newbie, let me know.

Thanks!
Tal

wombat's ravatar wombat    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 266
RE: First-timer looking for mentor
POSTED: 5/07/12 6:37 PM

I'm going to Sandy Point for an OWS this weekend and you're welcome to join me. Saftey in numbers/swimming partners.

HillOE's ravatar HillOE    JOINED: 3/2/09    POSTS: 78
POSTED: 5/08/12 8:20 AM

Tammy (wombat) is a great swimmer/partner to have for OWS!

I'd also recommend the WaveOne national harbor swims on Thursday nights, starting this Thursday! I think it's $25 to do a drop in. Lots of support, lots of swimmers of varying levels and it's pretty close to what you'll get in the Schuylkill.

tkopan's ravatar tkopan    JOINED: 4/7/12    POSTS: 46
POSTED: 5/08/12 8:29 AM

Thanks for the great advice, both of you! Unfortunately I can't do this weekend :( but maybe one in the future? Especially in June, as the big day draws very near!
Hillary -- those WaveOne swims look really good. Do you know if they rent wetsuits? I haven't decided yet what kind/if I want to buy one or just rent.
Thanks again!
Tal

HillOE's ravatar HillOE    JOINED: 3/2/09    POSTS: 78
POSTED: 5/08/12 8:34 AM

Wetsuits are a BYOWS. You can rent wetsuits at a variety of places (Bonzai, Fresh Bikes....probably a few other places locally).

It's worth the time/cash to rent some different styles to find the one you like.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria