Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

2009 Christmas Light Run: Cancelled
CREATED: 10/29/09 by dctexan REPLIES: 9
dctexan's ravatar dctexan    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 68
2009 Christmas Light Run: Cancelled
POSTED: 10/29/09 5:25 PM

I was looking forward to the CLR this year and checked the site to see if a date had been set and the whole run has been called off. I completely understand and many thanks goes to the organizers for putting it on over the years. Should we coordinate our own? Thoughts?

From http://www.christmaslightrun.com/:

Thank you throughout the years for your participation in the Christmas Light Run. Unfortunately, we are unable to continue the run due to its enormous growth the past few years. Last year we had over 500 people and realized that we cannot continue this run safely without a permit from DC and the National Park Service (yes, we have been doing this without a permit!). After researching the permit process and rules, we realized that getting a permit for this type of run at night in DC is not feasible.
However, we do encourage you to get a *small* group of people together this holiday season and have your own Christmas Light Run to continue the tradition of viewing the lights downtown and caroling. I can not think of anything better than to have several runs, not just one, through the city singing Christmas carols and decked out in the holiday gear. It is a great way to get into the holiday spirit. Maybe I will see you out there one night!
We wish you a happy holiday and thanks again for all the great memories!!
Best wishes,
Jerry Ricciardi and Kevin Gormley

lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
RE: 2009 Christmas Light Run: Cancelled
POSTED: 10/29/09 10:40 PM

BOO HOO! What am I going to do with a pair of elf stockings???

----After researching the permit process and rules, we realized that getting a permit for this type of run at night in DC is not feasible.--

This sucks that our city and Ntl. Park Service does not support athletic events and makes it very difficult to have sanctioned races. But, yeah for DC being leaders in Obesity, Diabetes, Heart Disease, and illiteracy! We're #1!

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1736
POSTED: 10/30/09 12:00 AM

I sent this email to Pacers. Good idea? Do some in the club work at Pacers, maybe make the same suggestion?

"Hello. I'm a long-time member of Potomac Runners and the DC Triathlon Club. The popular Christmas Light Run in DC this year has been canceled (http://www.christmaslightrun.com). I was wondering if Pacers might be interested in putting on a similar event, perhaps at its different stores. I think it would be great for Pacers' business, and for the runners, and the holiday season, to put on such an event."

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1047
POSTED: 10/30/09 8:15 AM

I loved the CLR and was a bit surprised, but understanding as the reason for canceling it. Jerry and Kevin did a great job organizing it since it's inaugural year. Many thanks to those two!

jules    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 110
POSTED: 10/30/09 10:59 AM

I'm so sad....I loved the CLR!! Jerry, thanks for putting it on....it was always so much fun! Ed, good idea to reach out to Pacers....it would be great if they organize a similar event.

trisha's ravatar trisha    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 133
POSTED: 10/30/09 1:54 PM

I loved the CLR too (and last year I apparently really loved tater tots) and am also sad I may not have occasion to wear my elf socks next month (happy hour?).

I'll be out of town this Dec, but would surely like to support establishment of a new holiday run tradition!

nicoleshue's ravatar nicoleshue    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 136
POSTED: 10/30/09 2:35 PM

I had planned on using this as my birthday celebration, and will be getting a bunch of friends together to do our own "bandit" bandit run (if there's such a thing....)

So stay tuned!

krafty81's ravatar krafty81    JOINED: 5/20/09    POSTS: 127
POSTED: 10/30/09 10:24 PM

Why not just limit the number of entries?

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 10/31/09 12:49 PM

Great just what we need another race with a limit in place.

But I do like how the organizer has told everyone to read between the lines. I hope you all picked up on that

hppeabody's ravatar hppeabody    JOINED: 9/17/09    POSTS: 193
POSTED: 11/01/09 10:05 PM

DC Capital Striders have already taken note of this and are doing their own. It will be less formal I think, but there will be runners taking to the streets, serenading of Christmas carols and drinking at Black Finn afterwards. I don't know exact details or even a date yet, but I will post here when I find out details. You can also watch the website: http://www.meetup.com/dccapitalstriders/

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria