Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Healthiness of swimming indoors.
CREATED: 07/22/09 by bcfrank REPLIES: 2
bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 953
Healthiness of swimming indoors.
POSTED: 7/22/09 3:26 PM

Interesting article on indoor pool swimming. Watch where you breathe. :)

Excerpt:
....asthma and other severe breathing difficulties seem to be almost epidemic among competitive swimmers, with most of the problems developing after the athletes took up swimming, according to the latest research. In a study of 50 elite athletes published last year in the British Journal of Sports Medicine, almost all of the swimmers had inflamed lung tissue, with those who spent the most time at the pool showing the most changes. In another study, published earlier this year in the European Respiratory Journal, almost 70 percent of a group of 32 elite swimmers suffered from a condition known as airway hyper-responsiveness, in which the bronchial tubes twitch or spasm excessively in response to cold air and other stimuli. Airway hyper-responsiveness can be a precursor to asthma. Meanwhile, by some estimates, one-third of all elite swimmers have full-blown asthma, 80 percent of which began after they took up swimming.

The full article:
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/are-indoor-pools-bad-for-your-lungs/?hp

lieutenantmudd's ravatar lieutenantmudd    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 68
RE: Healthiness of swimming indoors.
POSTED: 7/22/09 4:22 PM

I am convinced competitive swimming from age 6 to 19 destroyed my sense of smell. And I have exercise induced asthma. You're swimming two hours a day every day in a pool of oxidizers. Of course it will have negative affects.

Overall though, I would take a healthy childhood with mild asthma over a sedentary child without asthma every time. I bet the swimmer with asthma probably has better lungs than the sedentary kid anyways

And remember, a properly chlorinated pool shouldn't burn or smell bad. Pools with a thick chlorine smell are dirty, not overly chlorinated (although they might be both). And the smelly pools are the ones which cause damage (to hair, lungs, skin, etc)

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1047
RE: Healthiness of swimming indoors.
POSTED: 7/22/09 7:12 PM

Interesting article. Thank goodness for wetsuits. All the more reason for open water swimming.

Lt. Mudd, word about sendentary kids. Their minds are so ingrained with the tv-gadget world.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria