Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Nations Tri - full suit or sleeveless?
CREATED: 06/04/13 by viking72 REPLIES: 7
viking72's ravatar viking72    JOINED: 1/14/13    POSTS: 5
Nations Tri - full suit or sleeveless?
POSTED: 6/04/13 1:55 PM

See topic, I'm looking at getting a wetsuit and wonder what the conventional wisdom is on getting sleeveless vs full for Nations?

E

molnarc2's ravatar molnarc2    JOINED: 9/8/12    POSTS: 28
RE: Nations Tri - full suit or sleeveless?
POSTED: 6/04/13 2:32 PM

Nations very likely may not be wetsuit legal. It wasn't last year, and unless we get a ton of rain at the beginning of September, you would probably be better suited with looking into a speed suit.

The club partner TYR has a great deal if you use the discount provided.

mjraugust's ravatar mjraugust    JOINED: 12/15/11    POSTS: 99
POSTED: 6/04/13 3:20 PM

If you are just concerned with buoancy and not actually warmth (although I was fine in a 65 degree swim at Monticelloman when most people were wearing sleeved wetsuits) I love my Desoto Speedtube wetsuit pants http://www.desotosport.com/category/speed Plus if more people start wearing them I will feel less absurd at races being the only one in just wetsuit pants.

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 6/05/13 8:28 AM

I have both a full wetsuit and a sleeveless - definitely prefer the sleeveless - not as contricting in the shoulders when swimming and much easier to pull off.

That said, the water has always been warm enough for me at Nations and I have never worn a wetsuit for this race. I've done Nations every year except the first year (when they cancelled the swim).

ballstoncyclist's ravatar ballstoncyclist    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 491
POSTED: 6/05/13 8:32 AM

The Club has a full set of Xterra wetsuits to test. I just couldn't find the info anywhere on the website. But I know this from my time on the Board last year. Email Julia at partnerships@dctriclub.org if you want to try the wetsuits before buying.

tgalbert's ravatar tgalbert    JOINED: 9/30/10    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 6/05/13 10:10 AM

Point of information, we don't have a partnership with TYR, but we do with XTERRA wetsuits. 60% off.

I wouldn't count on the race being wetsuit legal. In the off chance that it is, sleeveless - you'd boil in a full suit.

viking72's ravatar viking72    JOINED: 1/14/13    POSTS: 5
POSTED: 6/05/13 10:38 AM

thanks all - I'm actually planning to get less buoyant before the race (heh!) and was just curious. I'll swim it in my 2XU tri suit then. That should be fine.

I have to say that seeing the Potomac every day (live on the waterfront in Gtown) makes me apprehensive of swimming in THAT! But it'll be a blast.

mjraugust's ravatar mjraugust    JOINED: 12/15/11    POSTS: 99
POSTED: 6/05/13 12:24 PM

The swim is not bad, anyone can swim in the Potomac once a year and be fine. As for the current assuming the course is setup the same as last year, Dennis from Wave One recomends staying close to shore where the current is weaker on your way out then cutting the corner sharp at 90' then hugging the sighting buoys in the middle of the riverand letting the current carry you back to the finish on the way back.

-Mark

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria