Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Help: I continue to suck at swimming!
CREATED: 04/14/09 by jvanleunen REPLIES: 3
jvanleunen    JOINED: 3/3/09    POSTS: 18
Help: I continue to suck at swimming!
POSTED: 4/14/09 12:56 PM

I need some advice about choosing swim training options! I found the Swim Clinic very helpful because I had instruction and found out that I was doing most things wrong! Since then I do not feel myself improving and def need to change that!

I see that there are swims at AU on Sunday nights and also swim practices on Mon/Weds at Catholic. Do either or both of these swims include instruction/guidance (for beginners) or are they more just group swims for DC Tri folks?

Any recommendations appreciated! Thanks!

HillOE's ravatar HillOE    JOINED: 3/2/09    POSTS: 74
RE: Help: I continue to suck at swimming!
POSTED: 4/14/09 1:16 PM

the sunday (6:30ish) evening swim at AU is definately a swim clinic. The program is a 6 or 8 week deal and they break the lanes down to beginner/moderate/experianced. I haven't done this program, but plan to. You can take the clinic as many times as you like advancing as you go. It's not just for tri folk, it's open to anyone. You can do drop in on it I believe as well, so you don't have to start with session 1, which was 2 weeks ago.

The CU swimming on Mon/Wed, I've been and haven't seen a "coach" but there are tons of vetran tri people there. That being said and I'm sure they are supportive and helpful, but they are also there to swim and not coach, kwim? definately lots of speed levels though so if you're looking to get pool time it's an option.

The DC parks and rec have a lot of learn to swim options -and not just for beginner never been in the water types. I know there's a nice guy (James) at the Takoma pool who offers private lessons (he works there in the evenings as is usually on the pool deck). DC parks also has a masters program, and CUBU has a masters program (there are a few in the area - the Y on RI Ave is another one) - just because it says "master" doesn't mean its for people who have mastered swimming, it's open to all levels and depending on the program can offer a lot of help or just lots of laps.

good luck!

amaceto    JOINED: 3/2/09    POSTS: 41
POSTED: 4/15/09 11:43 AM

Recommend trying the AU CUBU swim sessions. From what I observed at my first visit last Sunday, there is definitely instruction for beginners. You could also ask the instructors there if they offer private swim lessons, I've heard that some may. Also, can't personally vouch for their lessons, but Arlington County parks and rec offers adult swimming lessons and other areas may too.

amaceto    JOINED: 3/2/09    POSTS: 41
POSTED: 4/15/09 11:43 AM

Recommend trying the AU CUBU swim sessions. From what I observed at my first visit last Sunday, there is definitely instruction for beginners. You could also ask the instructors there if they offer private swim lessons, I've heard that some may. Also, can't personally vouch for their lessons, but Arlington County parks and rec offers adult swimming lessons and other areas may too.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria