Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Trail running shoe recs?
CREATED: 09/10/09 by AndyJB444 REPLIES: 4
AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
Trail running shoe recs?
POSTED: 9/10/09 5:07 PM

Tri season is over (for me at least), and I'm looking to hit the trails HARD this Fall and Winter.

I have run the past few seasons in the trail version of the Asics 21xx, and its alright but a little heavy and bulky.

Is there something with a similar last that can carry me over ultra-distances (20+ miles), has some support, is reasonably light, and still durable?

The Montrail Mountain Masochist and Hardrock have been getting my attention...

Any insight is appreciated!

Thanks,
Andy

asovonick's ravatar asovonick    JOINED: 6/3/09    POSTS: 197
RE: Trail running shoe recs?
POSTED: 9/10/09 5:16 PM

I love my La Sportiva Rajas trail runners. And they are dirt cheap at Hudson Trail Outfitters now. I'm a big-time runner too and won a trail race with them... I'd say that gives them a little cred :)

They are very strong while still remaining lightweight. Would-be sprains and bad ankle twists have been averted since I started wearing the Rajas.

And another recommendation... the trail running socks at Fleet Feet. Vent well and give a good level of stability around ankles

jen_'s ravatar jen_    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 162
POSTED: 9/11/09 10:49 AM

Brooks Cascadia.

I've tried on the entire Montrail line and they were too stiff for me. And I think Scott Jurek had some say in the design of the Cascadia's, and he won Western States.. oh, a few times, so I'd say that gives them a little cred. Low profile, light, durable, and the midsole is biodegradeable. I love mine and have three pairs. No toe protection, tho, so pick up your feet and don't kick any rocks/roots.

Jen

DuathlonFreak's ravatar DuathlonFreak    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 64
POSTED: 9/11/09 8:01 PM

I second the Brooks Cascadia - I switched from Asics Gel-Eagle trail this spring and the Brooks fit my foot better, better grip, and light enough but still good for 3+ hr efforts. Of course, its highly personal and your mileage may vary... See you out there.

-LB

jpacovich's ravatar jpacovich    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 27
POSTED: 9/11/09 8:42 PM

Try out the Mizuno Wave Ascend if you can find it locally... I usually only run in Mizunos now.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria