Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

What's your view on indoor rollers?
CREATED: 10/13/10 by JHJ20012 REPLIES: 10
JHJ20012's ravatar JHJ20012    JOINED: 2/1/10    POSTS: 170
What's your view on indoor rollers?
POSTED: 10/13/10 12:22 PM

Just thinking about training options for what the Farmers Almanac is predicting to be a long hard winter.

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
RE: What's your view on indoor rollers?
POSTED: 10/13/10 3:56 PM

I would likely kill myself bc I am very uncoordinated.

I have the Cyclops thing that anchors the bike that anchors me. That's when it is set up. Bleck, I hate winter.

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 10/13/10 4:19 PM

A good pair of XC skis will be much more enjoyable! ;)

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
POSTED: 10/13/10 8:43 PM

I've got rollers, which I've never used much for serious indoor training. I keep them around for some refreshers on keeping a smooth pedal stroke on the bike though. Riding indoors is boring no matter what, but you have to keep concentrating with rollers to avoid falling off. After about 45 minutes I can't handle it anymore. I'd rather zone out and watch TV on the trainer for 2 hours.

If you have good concentration skill though, you might enjoy them. For shorter rides they are more "fun" than a trainer, and they do keep you honest about your ability to hold a good line on the bike.

-Brian

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 514
POSTED: 10/13/10 10:52 PM

I'm going to do as much of my winter bike training outside on the mountain bike as possible. Yeah, it's not the same riding position as the tri bike but I think of it as quasi-cross-training. I can get plenty of aerobic endurance training on the mtn. bike. I'll also do high rpm spin-up drills most weeks to maintain a feel for the high cadences on the tri bike.

Though I started my bike training on the stationary bike a couple years ago, I don't think I can handle long indoor workouts these days. Somehow I managed to do some 4-hr. stationary bike rides last year. No way could I do that now. So I'll just bundle up and head outside.

I just hope we don't get Round 2 of Snowpocalypse and Snowmageddon this winter. It's supposed to be another La Nina winter, meaning higher-than-normal snowfall totals.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 10/14/10 10:19 AM

rollers are great if you the patience and concentration to use them. they can get pretty boring after about a week or so.

some have said that the free motion rollers are great and can really simulate real outdoor riding but they are quite expensive at something like 5-7 hundred dollars.

POSTED: 10/14/10 11:05 AM

Thanks for all the input. Agreed, indoor training is the pits. I have a stationary trainer for longer "rides," but was thinking about rollers as a way to practice my first forray into aerobars when the weather gets nasty. Nashbar had a cheap set of parabolic rollers for around $125 with good reviews, so I might experiment with that, but wouldn't otherwise drop the major $$.

jen_'s ravatar jen_    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 162
POSTED: 10/14/10 11:12 AM

If you don't want to drop major coin on rollers, I'll sell you mine for $60. They're non descript, but I'm pretty sure they're Nashbar or Performance. It's been a couple years since I've used them, but they're still in good shape.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll send you pictures or we can figure out a time for you to check them out.

Jen

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1285
POSTED: 10/14/10 11:19 AM

Joyce,

I think that you have it backwards. You want to forray into the world of aerobars on a fixed trainer and go on the rollers once you have mastered it. Using the rollers as a mechanism to initially learn how to ride in aero is like me learning how to swim without arm floaties ... children will just point and laugh at you :)

Tuan

POSTED: 10/14/10 11:22 AM

Children already point and laugh at me.

POSTED: 10/14/10 12:44 PM

Jen,

Please shoot me an email. johojo1 at aol.com.

Thanks,

Joyce

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria