Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Best time to buy a bike?
CREATED: 05/30/13 by emle REPLIES: 2
emle's ravatar emle    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 127
Best time to buy a bike?
POSTED: 5/30/13 3:25 PM

Anyone know when's the best time (season) to buy a bike?
Contemplating a new tri bike, but don't want to take the plunge now if a few months later shops are getting rid of their stock and throwing in extra deals that are too good to pass up.

thanks
Emily

mjraugust's ravatar mjraugust    JOINED: 12/15/11    POSTS: 99
RE: Best time to buy a bike?
POSTED: 5/30/13 4:01 PM

A lot of brands have already instructed LBSs to start clearing out their most popular models and lowering prices but not by tons. Now is really the time to start test riding figuring out which bike you want and in what size so that when the sales come you are sure you know what you want even if you have to order it. The point in the year that sales and inventories of popular bikes are at their peak is early August because 2014s will start shipping in September and October. I waited to buy my bike until September and almost no one had any 2012 carbon frames in my size anywhere around DC. As far as deals go it's rare to get better than 30% off even if it's the last year's model and a lot of bikes will never be more than 15%. It's rare to find a bike you would actually want for 50% off but it does happen occaisionally. Don't be afraid to try to negotiate with them especially later in the summer if you are buying a 2013 and they still haven't discounted it yet. Bike shops are also happy to negotiate on pedals, computers and other accessories, but most of those are cheaper to just buy online and install yourself. Oh and no matter what never buy a bike that's too big or small for you just because it's cheaper, it won't help you out and could lead to problems down the road. Hope that helps. -Mark

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1713
RE: Best time to buy a bike?
POSTED: 5/31/13 10:25 AM

Em: Performance Bikes, and I think other shops, has pretty steep discounts in early fall.- EM

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria