Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

Wash DC Triathlon: Open Thread
CREATED: 06/19/11 by mosered REPLIES: 27
mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1749
Wash DC Triathlon: Open Thread
POSTED: 6/19/11 5:19 AM

Best of luck, racers! Feel free to post your comments throughout the day.

lisde    JOINED: 4/27/10    POSTS: 20
RE: Wash DC Triathlon: Open Thread
POSTED: 6/19/11 11:09 AM

Thanks to all those who volunteer during the race! Your support, cheers, laughs and jokes during the race felt great.

Overall, the race (sprint) went smoothly. I loved the time-trial start as it made the swim less chaotic (although the turn around points were still a little tricky). The bike course was like a roller derby..lots of turn and lots of bikes, but overall everybody was civil and it good spirits..its was a fun ride!!!!! As for the run..all I have to say is that I was fooled by those (what I though) was last 200m when you come down the hill and run towards the finish line, but in reality you make a right to put in an additional 200m before you run straight to the finish line. I was pushing it already, so it made for an interesting last 400m. Overall, awesome time. The rain could not have come at a better time as I had just started the run. That and cool temperatures, great support = Awesome Tri!

Again thanks to the club for all the support and having yummy food at the Dc Tri tent at the end of the race.

Delisse

jbrez's ravatar jbrez    JOINED: 1/30/11    POSTS: 259
POSTED: 6/19/11 1:22 PM

Congrats to everyone who participated in the race. And a huge thanks to everyone who volunteered, whether running the DC Tri Club tent or the many club members helping out on the course. I heard a lot of "GO DC TRI" out there and believe me, it totally helped.

I learned a good nutrition lesson, after nearly passing out after the race. Definitely need to eat more the day before.

See you guys again soon!

-Jason

travism's ravatar travism    JOINED: 1/17/11    POSTS: 18
POSTED: 6/19/11 1:42 PM

I have to agree with Delisse that the bike course was a lot of fun. I thought the highway sections were really fast. I don't know if the highway road was smoother than what I'm used to or being on a highway made me want to go faster, but whatever the reason, it was great.

My Olympic goal time was 2:30, a bit ambitious for this little NTPer, but I thought I had a chance based on my Peasantman time. Alas, I clocked in at 2:38. I met my swim goal, exceeded my bike goal, but kind of fell apart on the run. I guess I had been in denial about my running capabilities and this was definitely a wake up call that I need to focus on it. I think I'm going to do Rockett's Landing to help us score points for the championship, and I have a lot of work to do on my running game between now and then.

The race organizers ran a very smooth race. I always felt I knew what was going on. Thank you to the volunteers out there - I needed all the water I could get on the run after one of my water bottles popped off on a pothole. And thanks so much to our NTP co-leaders! You brought me from never having competed in any type of endurance event to completing an Olympic distance triathlon!

Overall, great race.

Travis

Luke's ravatar Luke    JOINED: 11/28/10    POSTS: 364
POSTED: 6/19/11 4:03 PM

Congrats to everyone who raced today! Particularly to those NTPers... congrats on completing the first of many tri's to come!

It was nice to get to wear a wetsuit in this race... particularly since last year it was too hot! That certainly knocked some time off of the swim... and gave me another race to amortize the value of my wetsuit purchase over! Personally I prefer a wave start... but it was nice to try something new with the time trial start... and I'm sure that helped move the crowd through quicker. I'd be interested in hearing others preferences of wave start vs. time trial start...

I thought the bike course was a lot of fun! The Washington Monument & Lincoln Memorial were very scenic, and there's not a lot of opportunities outside of racing to bike on Whitehurst Freeway! No serious climbs, or seriously long uphills. It was one of the more technical courses you'll ride in a tri (4 180-degree turns on the sprint & 8 on the olympic!), but I didn't see anyone go down the whole time (although I'm sure there were some out there...) and I only saw a few mechanical breakdowns (and with some 3,000 people out there, unfortunately some of that is to be expected).

I enjoyed the run too. A nice tour of The Mall, with easily the most picturesque finish in all of triathlon! The volunteers did a great job handing out water pretty much everywhere. I would've liked to see mile markers... but maybe they were there and I just missed them...

It must be noted that the race organizers did a much better job with the transition area this year. Transition area at the Nation's Tri last year was huge... and there was a 200m run down Ohio Drive from water's edge to transition at that race. This time, it was a straight shot from the water to the transition... and the transition area was about as small as it could be with a field of some 3000. Although next time I'd like to see us enter into transition in one corner of the transition area and exit out in the opposite corner, so those who rack bikes in the center aisle don't have such an advantage over those who rack on the ends.

Thank you to all of the volunteers... and those who were cheering along the way! I heard a ton of "Go DC Triclub!" shout outs there!

Also thank you to whoever brought the Chips Ahoy cookies that I discovered in the tent after the race :-) Delicious!

-Luke

Also... in case anyone from Team Z is stalking this thread... your fans that came dressed up in costumes to cheer were hysterical. Scooby Doo was def a motivation on the run!

reilly1112    JOINED: 1/2/11    POSTS: 1
POSTED: 6/19/11 4:50 PM

This was my first Tri, and what a blast. I'm so glad I joined this club. Although I couldn't participate in any of the club's training events, the tips and information I received from the experienced Tri competitors on this website was so important for my preparation. Thank-you all for your insights and information you post!! The volunteers were great!! Very well organized and executed event. Bob

ktuinstra's ravatar ktuinstra    JOINED: 5/4/09    POSTS: 22
POSTED: 6/19/11 8:23 PM

I echo everyone's comments- thanks so much to all the volunteers who were out there this morning. Fun race!

bad ford's ravatar bad ford    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 184
POSTED: 6/19/11 8:44 PM

Congrats to my Mentee, Rowan Al-Khatib who swam a mind-blowing 1:42, and still got out of the water and crushed the rest of the race.

Talk about Iron will!

Brad.

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1061
POSTED: 6/19/11 10:44 PM

Hi Everyone --

We should all say thanks to club members Suzanne Pender and Carrie Campbell for serving as the DC Tri volunteer coordinators at this event. They recruited and managed all of the event weekend volunteers and are hopefully deep asleep right now recovering from a hard weekend.

We had a goal goal to reach 150 club volunteers at the event and I'm extremely happy to report that we exceeded that number! This is something that the club should be incredibly proud of!

Finally, most of you know that I'm one of the DC/Nation's Tri Ambassadors and work pretty closely with the race directors. If you have comments/criticisms/suggestions, please post them here and fill out the post race survey. We are listening carefully and absolutely take your comments seriously as planning begins for next year's event.

Thank you to all of the volunteers and congrats to all the NTPers and veteran club athletes!

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 954
POSTED: 6/19/11 11:01 PM

I just want to say that that was some of the best post-race food I've had. That was awesome. I almost thought it was Chipotle when I walked up which would just have been UTTERLY awesome, but Qdoba was still really good. :)

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 6/20/11 9:03 AM

I am always amazed at the people who can chow down after a race. I can never do that and usually pass up post race food. Today, the day after though - I am starving. Great race everyone. Thank you volunteers and all DC Tri folks for getting me through my first Oly post knee surgery.

jdruke's ravatar jdruke    JOINED: 9/2/10    POSTS: 64
POSTED: 6/20/11 9:26 AM

I really like the time trial start. The support on the run course was great. Thanks everyone who volunteered!

eslomax's ravatar eslomax    JOINED: 1/18/11    POSTS: 1
POSTED: 6/20/11 9:34 AM

Congratulations to all the finishers! Thank you sooo much to the volunteers and to everyone at DC Tri Club and Sports and Spinal for the clinics and support in training. This was my first Tri and I am pumped, and ready for more. My goals were to not drown, crash or trip for the swim, bike and run respectively...well mission accomplished. Plus had a great time, got a medal, cool photos, yummy food and some triathlete swagger. Booyah!

skarpers's ravatar skarpers    JOINED: 5/9/11    POSTS: 35
POSTED: 6/20/11 10:47 AM

This was my first tri and it was a great race! Well organized and just a fun course over all. Well maybe not the run course. All the loops down by the finish like just sucked! Great job everyone!

POSTED: 6/20/11 12:11 PM

My thoughts on the race:

Call me weird but I've done this race and ITU and I enjoy swimming in the Potomac (maybe it's the chemicals from the water affecting my brain). I didn't mind the time trial start. It seemed awkward at first watching it push through, but once I got there, got lined up with 9 other people and was told "GO," I thought it worked really well. It went smoothly, and the organizers did a great job. And no need to waste a couple minutes treading water and using up some of your energy before you start. So I definitely liked it from that standpoint. The part I didn't like is going to make me sound like a swimming elitist a-hole. With a wave start, when I catch up to the wave ahead of me, it's just a short mass of people that I swim through and then it's clear swimming for a while until I hit another small group. With the time trial, it was a constant obstacle course to go through for virtually the entire swim course. I had to pause a couple times as swimmers converged in front of me giving me no room to pass.

I thought transition was fine. I didn't think about the entrances and exits until Luke mentioned them, but yes, people toward the center definitely had some time advantage given the centering of the exits.

The bike course was good. I did see a cyclist go down on the U-turn on Constitution on my first loop. The turns around a median (that one near transition) and the loop around the circle were fine. The U-turn off E St onto Potomac Fwy was the worst because of the pavement conditions (thanks for the personal shout out there Ed :::^):: ).

The run was fun (yes, that rhymed). I'm glad I didn't call it after the bike as I was considering (ankle issues). It's something I always tout to my non-racing friends about how cool it is to run on the streets of DC past the monuments and museums with the roads closed especially for you (just me, not anyone else out there, just me :::^):: ) I knew there were a bunch of out-and-backs near the finish line, so those didn't surprise me (except that last short one). But overall I really enjoyed that course.

Definitely a big thanks to all the volunteers out there. Saw a lot of friendly faces among the bike and run marshals almost everywhere I looked. There were mile markers for the International course but I don't know about the sprint course. The Mile 2 aid station was the best one out there, of course. Though Mark Z made the Mile 1 aid station a pretty darned close 2nd. And Amanda and Karen near that final turn, perfect place to be for the Awesome Cheering Duo. Yes, Karen, I was having fun out there.

And Luke, I was cheering for The Flash guy from Team Z. I saw him on the bike and run. He was just everywhere!

Bryan

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1296
POSTED: 6/20/11 12:25 PM

Bryan ... weird, swimming elitist a-hole

Anything else you would like for me to call you, please post.

Also, from the unsung hero's file: Stephen Carlson, Hugh, and Pam Simmonds stayed all the way to the end to clean up the DCTri tent and food area.

Tuan

POSTED: 6/20/11 1:14 PM

I have others, but they're probably not safe for posting in a place where kids could read them.

pmart15's ravatar pmart15    JOINED: 12/14/09    POSTS: 126
POSTED: 6/20/11 2:11 PM

It was a good race, I did it last year, Sprint both times. My thoughts:

- Pre-race... there wasn't a drop of water to be had. If you didn't bring it with you weren't going to get it. A water fountain, hose, something would have been nice, logistically maybe impossible but hey you wanted feedback. I liked the water station at the transition entrance from last year.

- Swim... I liked the time trial start, I have no clue why I caught people in earlier waves because I'm a horrible swimmer. That being said me and my two buddies swam the time's of our lives so we were wondering if the course was marked properly. I hope so.

- Bike... Great course. I loved it. I doubt it's possible but marking manholes or potholes with neon paint on race morning would help tremendously. I hit a nasty one while aero and with some bad luck I would have wrecked.

- Run... I didn't care for the added distance but mostly the manner in which it was added. Pointless turnarounds down streets we shouldn't have had to go down. I wasn't alone in my thinking either.

- Post-race... Stellar as always. I think an event photographer at the DC Tri stage would have been nice. I might have paid for a picture but with no cameras on us we couldn't take any. I'll wear some DC Tri gear next time to ensure there are some floating around.

Special thanks to all the volunteers on race day!!!

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 6/20/11 2:53 PM

Wpost just posted a video of the race on their website.

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1749
POSTED: 6/20/11 3:01 PM

Ha ha, they called it the "inaugural" race. (WaPost needs to hire back those laid-off proofreaders and editors.) Nice several minutes of clips and interviews tho:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/athletes-compete-in-inaugural-triathlon/2011/06/20/AGuqnjcH_video.html

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria