Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Swim for Life - Roll Call & Carpooling
CREATED: 07/06/10 by wombat REPLIES: 9
wombat's ravatar wombat    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 266
Swim for Life - Roll Call & Carpooling
POSTED: 7/06/10 7:46 AM

Who's doing Swim for Life this Saturday? Anyone interested in carpooling?

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1770
RE: Swim for Life - Roll Call & Carpooling
POSTED: 7/06/10 10:34 AM

Interested. Can give or get ride.

And here's the latest from the organizers:

"A few quick reminders:
(1) Online registration closes tomorrow (Wednesday) night. If you want to change your distance, it will be faster and easier to do it before then, when we download data and make up race packets. So please shoot us an email and let us know if you want to make a change. However, if it comes down to it, you can still make changes in person Saturday morning, before 8 am. NO CHANGES AFTER 8 am on raceday.
(2) Many of you have not raised the minimum $100 pledge online. That's OK, but please remember to bring any offline pledges you collected to the event, and also your checkbook if you are making up the difference yourself.
(3) Don't forget the sunblock and bottled water. We will have water, but if it's real hot supplies sometimes run low. Always safest to have your own supply.
(4) Come early for better parking!

P.S. Wetsuits are never banned.

P.P.S. No idea what the water level is, but assume it's deep enough to swim. ;-) "

wombat's ravatar wombat    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 266
POSTED: 7/09/10 10:11 AM

Bump!

If we wake up to thunderstorms tomorrow morning, want to grab breakfast?

starcaro's ravatar starcaro    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 60
POSTED: 7/09/10 10:21 AM

Alejandro and I are driving up together as part of the Colombian contingent again.

If there are thunderstorms, I defer to Alejandro since he is the car haver and driver.

Carolina

POSTED: 7/09/10 10:28 AM

Race organizers say there'll be food rain or shine, whether a go or cancel.

Possibility of a bike ride in event of cancellation?

http://www.mapmyride.com/find-ride/united-states/md/chestertown

chad0022's ravatar chad0022    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 334
POSTED: 7/09/10 11:01 AM

It's so hard to tell what the weather will be like here when we wake up vs. there for the swim...

Here's hoping there are no thunderstorms!!

ballstoncyclist's ravatar ballstoncyclist    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 495
POSTED: 7/09/10 12:27 PM

I'll be there regardless.

lieutenantmudd's ravatar lieutenantmudd    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 68
POSTED: 7/09/10 9:03 PM

I'm in for 5 miles. Hopefully it won't storm, I've been looking forward to this.

Nick

POSTED: 7/10/10 4:51 PM

Thunder and rain delayed the start til past 9 am. Then organizers, hoping to shoehorn in an event between storm fronts, shortened the 1 to 5 mile options to a 1 and 2 miler. Water temps c. 82; wetsuits left on shore. Torrential rain at some points, making buoy sighting impossible, tho one could follow the line of swimmers ahead, returning swimmers, small buoys, or the many kayakers. No chop, however. An out and back: Deceptively tough current going upriver, then go flying back downriver. Some swimmers toward the rear were ordered to go back before reaching the 2 mile turnaround, due to fears of approaching lightning. DCT well represented with ten or more folks.

Tremendous salads and chicken afterward. About 175 registrants. Maybe $28K in charity raised.

Looking for a 3-4 mile open-water event in late summer or fall.

lieutenantmudd's ravatar lieutenantmudd    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 68
POSTED: 7/10/10 6:09 PM

I don't think that was a true out and back. I basically swam a triangle with the points being buoy 1, buoy 2 and the beach. I didn't get close to buoy 1 on the swim back.

And my splits were about 28 mins dock to buoy 2 and 16 minutes buoy 2 to dock. I don't think the current was strong enough for those differences. So either I cheated or the buoy 2 was further than a mile out.

I was disappointed the longer swims didn't happen. I understand why they made the choices they did (if they even had a choice w/ regards to the Coast Guard). But 2 miles really didn't do it for me.

Oh well, maybe next year. And hopefully I won one of those plates with a crab painted on them.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria