Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Church Creek Time Trial
CREATED: 06/03/09 by gwcrew2000 REPLIES: 10
gwcrew2000's ravatar gwcrew2000    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 127
Church Creek Time Trial
POSTED: 6/03/09 5:48 PM

Anyone interested in doing the Church Creek Time Trial on 6/13? It is a flat 40km course. I did it last year and had a good time. Most of us triathletes love biking but never get to go all out in a race because of the run. This is a fun chance to see how fast you can go for 40km. Plus at only $20 it is a hell of a lot cheaper than tri fees.

I plan on doing it, but wanted to see if anyone else in the club is interested.

matr's ravatar matr    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 44
RE: Church Creek Time Trial
POSTED: 6/03/09 6:17 PM

I just registered. Would anyone be interested in doing the TTT afterwards the ITT if possible?

POSTED: 6/10/09 5:20 PM

I think I am gonna be too beat to finish the ITT and then turn around for a TTT. Think they will accept race day registration for that?

stevepowell's ravatar stevepowell    JOINED: 3/31/09    POSTS: 10
POSTED: 6/10/09 5:47 PM

I'm doing the Church Creek Time Trial to get ready for the bike portion of the DC Triathlon in September. I'm wearing my NCVC (my cycling club) uniform. This is my first time trial and I assume there will be lots of hardcore bicycling gearheads out there (disc wheels, aero helmets, etc.). I saw the results from last year where most of the riders are averaging 22-25 mph for 40k! Would those be nice times for us triathletes?

x
POSTED: 6/10/09 5:47 PM

x

POSTED: 6/10/09 9:03 PM

I went about 2-3 mph faster on the TT last year than I do during tri's, but I think I could have gone faster. I didn't have a computer on my bike so it was hard to pace my speed and judge how far I had left. It is just fun to "empty the tank" on the bike rather than saving some for the run.

POSTED: 6/10/09 10:43 PM

I have a feeling that the TT course is faster than our tri courses... harder surfaces, perhaps, probably less wind and flat as a pancake. How else could these average speeds be attained?!?!

I know what you mean about "emptying the tank." However, I need to make sure the tank is full in the first place.

POSTED: 6/10/09 11:14 PM

Actually the TT course is on the same roads as Eagleman 70.3 which this year happens to be the following day. And yes, this course is flat as a pancake. You may surprise yourself with how fast you can go in a TT, just don't go out too fast. If you ride for NCVC then I am sure you know how fast road cyclists can go (ride at Hains Point on any given Thursday, they re-group at 22 mph and kick it up to the high twenties/30ish going down the Potomac side of the loop).

If this is your first, just pace yourself for the first 30k, if you still feel good going into the last 10k, bring it up a few mph. There is always the second TT in August where you can show improvement over the first.

POSTED: 6/11/09 8:41 AM

Yes, this is my first TT although I've done several triathlons. Good advice on not going out too fast, which is my (and most people, I think) natural inclination.

matr's ravatar matr    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 44
POSTED: 6/11/09 9:05 AM

Warm-up is key. I didn't bring a trainer with me to DC, but if you have one, bring it. It generally takes me about 45 minutes of warming up with a couple of hard efforts before I can ride a decent TT. Last year at the Record Challenge TT in Moriarty, NM (flat, 40k at altitude), a race I do every year, I had a horrible time when I didn't warm-up well due to cold rain (easier to stay in the car). A friend brought a large tent to warm-up in on her trainer, and rode a PR by more than two minutes, posting the fastest time for a female in more than a decade.

merlinkim's ravatar merlinkim    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 294
POSTED: 8/01/12 5:45 PM

Pinging this again - anyone doing the August installment this year?

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria