Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

bike choice for value
CREATED: 05/17/10 by triterp REPLIES: 6
triterp    JOINED: 8/20/09    POSTS: 23
bike choice for value
POSTED: 5/17/10 6:57 PM

I'm looking at a 2008 Felt DA and a 2010 B12 w/ Ultegra. Once I add pedals, a cpu, etc they're about the same price. The stock wheels are a little better on the B12.
Thanks for you input, I appreciate it.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1293
RE: bike choice for value
POSTED: 5/17/10 9:42 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the 2008 DA have better all around components, weighs less, and is better frameset than the 2010 B12? If the 2008 DA that you are looking at is either new or has very low mileage, I'd take the DA in a heartbeat.

Tuan

2008 DA
OVERVIEW:
The crème de la crème of triathlons and time trials, you can’t buy a faster, more aerodynamically slippery bicycle than the DA. For those who already have a super-aerodynamic wheelset, we offer this version of the DA with the Felt TTR wheelset, an excellent deep-section aero clincher perfect for training. These wheels are identical to what is found on the Felt B2 except color matched to the DA. The base bar and extensions step up to Zipp’s premium Vuka. Not only is this bike our fastest against the clock, it is our lightest for triathlons and time trials at only 16.92 lbs., more than a pound lighter than the B2 Pro. Other upgrades include the Felt 3.1 Team Issue TRI Saddle with Carbon Injected Base, Extended CRN/TI Rails and White/Carbon fiber cover and Vittoria Triathlon Evo CS Tubular tires.

FRAME:
New Felt Custom Designed TRI Modular Monocoque Frame, with UHC (Ultra Hybrid Carbon)

FORK:
New Felt Custom-Designed Monocoque Bayonet leading aero edge Fork with UHC (Ultra Hybrid Carbon), Carbon Dropouts and the Bayonet steering system Adjustable Stem

DRIVETRAIN:
Complete Shimano Dura-Ace Group
Shimano Dura-Ace Crankset 53-39T for 700, 55/42T for 650c Chainrings

WHEELSET:
Felt Exclusive TTR2 40mm deep 20/24 spoked Aero Wheelset w/titanium skewers
Vittroria Rubino Pro Slick tires

COMPONENTS:
Zipp Vuka Carbon base bar and extension bars with levers
Felt Bayonet Steering System Adjustable Stem with 3 stem extension lengths
Felt 3.1 Team Issue TRI Saddle with Carbon Injected Base, Extended CRN/TI Rails and White/Carbon fiber cover
Felt 3.1 Carbon Aero Seatpost with Double offset Adjustment.

2010 B12
Frame: Felt Tri Specific HM High Modulus modular carbon fiber frame with 3KP finish; full aero tubeset with front & rear wheel recesses; internal cable routing, forged horizontal dropouts
Fork: Felt 3.2 Airfoil carbon fiber bladed with 1" steerer
Drivetrain: Shimano Dura-Ace bar-end shifters with TRP Aero brake levers; Ultegra braze-on front derailleur; Ultegra rear derailleur; Ultegra 53/39T crankset; Shimano 10-speed chain; 12-25T cassette
Components: SuperLight dual pivot brakes with cartridge brake shoes, stainless hardware & Teflon bushings; Felt Bayonet 6061 T6 base bar with integrated adjustable length 7075 aluminum f-Bend extensions, aluminum arm rests with gel arm rest pads; Felt 3.1 6061 aluminum 3D forged stem; Felt 3.1 UHM carbon fiber standard offset bladed monocoque seatpost; Felt 3.2 Tri/TT saddle with carbon injected base, gel Nose, custom waterproof cover, carbon fiber inserts & extended length hollow Cr-Mo rails
Wheelset: Felt TTR-3 700c 40mm deep section aluminum rims with CNC machined braking surface; 20H front/24H rear hubs with DT Aero Bladed spokes
Accessories: N/A
Finish: Gloss Black & Carbon
Sizes: 650c x 48, 50cm; 700c x 52, 54, 56, 58, 60cm
Weight: 19.62 pounds

merlinkim's ravatar merlinkim    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 294
POSTED: 5/17/10 10:58 PM

Short answer: If they're the same size and the bike is appropriate for your fit/riding position, get the DA.

Longer answer: Get the DA. Re the wheels, they're just training wheels. If you want race with fast wheels, rent them. (A few shops locally, internet.) The difference between the stock wheels in Tuan's description above are marginal. The value difference is in the component upgrades, not necessarily the frame. The Zipp aero bar is an expensive upgrade that's very nice to have on the DA, but make sure it works for you. (If it doesn't, it should have good resale value.) Similarly, the DA fork is slick, but is a different setup than a standard fork.

Is the DA used? With carbon frames, be careful about frame damage, since you can't see dents, like with metal frames. Also, triathletes are notorious for having poorly-maintained bikes, so if you see dried gu/gatorade on the downtube, or a chain that tattoos your calf before you clip in, you may have to get some preventative work done. Not a dealbreaker, though.

- edit - If they're both new, then I would say definitely go for the DA. - /edit -

triterp    JOINED: 8/20/09    POSTS: 23
POSTED: 5/18/10 9:47 AM

both are new bikes so i shouldn't have to worry about any frame damage on either. The only thing that I have concerns w/ on the DA is it's already a 2 year old bike but as long as I take care of it, I should be OK.

urbanlumberjack's ravatar urbanlumberjack    JOINED: 3/25/09    POSTS: 143
POSTED: 5/18/10 9:57 AM

where did you find a brand new 2008 bike?

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1293
POSTED: 5/18/10 10:03 AM

The bike is not a two year old used bike. The model is two year old model. There is a big difference in that. Considering that Felt's top of the line bike wasn't built based on a theory that it has a two year life, I don't think that you should have any concerns. Those components should last you for quite a few years.

urbanlumberjack ... I can't speak for triterp but Bonzai has a brand new one avaiable on the cheap if it's your size :)

http://tribonzai.com/product/08-felt-racing-da-40296-1.htm

Tuan

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 5/18/10 10:20 AM

i wouldn't say that triathlete are notorious for poorly maintained bikes.

i would say that people that have no mechanical skills are notorious for poorly maintained bikes.

Good thing is that it keeps the local bicycle shops in business.

and don't worry about the gu or gatorade on the bicycle that stuff does not damage carbon fiber bicycles at all. and is easily cleaned off with soap and water.

good luck.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria