Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

Open Water Swim-May 22nd or 23rd
CREATED: 05/17/10 by japhillips87 REPLIES: 23
japhillips87    JOINED: 1/23/10    POSTS: 10
Open Water Swim-May 22nd or 23rd
POSTED: 5/17/10 9:41 PM

Is anyone planning on doing an open water swim this weekend?

kathryn    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 16
RE: Open Water Swim-May 22nd or 23rd
POSTED: 5/17/10 9:49 PM

I will do an OWS if you or anyone else will! Where do you go? Sandy Point?? Let me know!

-Kathryn

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1045
POSTED: 5/17/10 11:07 PM

Just a heads up that they have the annual blues festival down at Sandy Point on Saturday and Sunday. I'm planning on heading down right after work with the hope to be in the water around 3:30pm.

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1045
POSTED: 5/18/10 9:15 AM

I was just checking the Chesapeake Blues Festival website and it might be nearly impossible to get in a swim workout this weekend at Sandy Point. The gates open up at 10:30am and tickets will be required for the festival. I won't say don't go, but you might want to avoid going unless you plan to hang out at the festival (which might be pretty cool). There is a shuttle service from the Naval Academy Stadium so one could park there, bring your swim gear then hang out for a bit at the festival. Check it out below.

http://www.bayblues.org/index.php

appleseed's ravatar appleseed    JOINED: 11/5/09    POSTS: 20
POSTED: 5/18/10 12:26 PM

I'll head down if I can get a swimming buddy. I'm willing to drive (pickup in Arlington). I like blues as well so I'll probably hang out for a bit of that.

~James.

stiefler    JOINED: 6/2/09    POSTS: 35
POSTED: 5/18/10 2:41 PM

I'm down for OWS on Sunday (May 23-correction). Happy to start at 8 or 8:30, so we could get in a solid workout and be gone before gates even open for the bluesfest.

pmparker's ravatar pmparker    JOINED: 5/13/10    POSTS: 12
POSTED: 5/18/10 10:01 PM

I'm a VERY slow swimmer and still somewhat new to tri training, but I need an open-water swim Sunday morning! I like the sound of 8 or 8:30... I'm new to the area (Fairfax) and I've never been to Sandy Point- where do you meet others for an OWS at SP?

denaindc's ravatar denaindc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 146
POSTED: 5/19/10 8:28 AM

I'd like to get in an OWS this weekend. Early morning work for me. Does anyone have room in their car? I live in NE DC, but can metro to a pickup point.
Dena

LaurenB82    JOINED: 4/20/10    POSTS: 28
POSTED: 5/19/10 10:21 AM

I would also be up for an OWS on Sunday morning. 8:30 sounds better than 8 :)
There is the clinic as well that begins at 9, but I'd rather just get in and swim. But we may have to avoid them.

I have room in my car, leaving from Columbia Heights going out NY Ave to 50.

ctackett    JOINED: 2/4/10    POSTS: 6
POSTED: 5/19/10 10:27 AM

Hi Lauren,

Do you mind if I get a ride with you on Sun? 8:30 sounds better to me too. I'd rather get in and swim as well. I live in your area. My email is christina (dot) tackett (at) gmail. Thanks!

JHJ20012's ravatar JHJ20012    JOINED: 2/1/10    POSTS: 170
POSTED: 5/19/10 10:40 AM

For anyone who was planning on doing the Wave One Clinic this Sunday:

MAY 23 SWIM UPDATE

Update for OWSA – WaveOne Swimming open water swim at Sandy Point State Park, Md.

DUE TO THE RESTRICTED BEACH ACCESS FROM THE BAY BLUES FESTIVAL, WE REGRETFULLY MUST CANCEL OUR SCHEDULED SWIM THIS SUNDAY. PLEASE SIGN UP FOR OUR JUNE 6TH AND 27TH SWIMS. Our online registration will be operating very soon and an email will be sent to notify everybody who contacted us.

POSTED: 5/19/10 10:42 AM

Oh well that's no good! I assume that means we're out as well.

We could go up to Gunpowder Falls State park, but that's a fair bit further...

Bummer!

POSTED: 5/19/10 10:48 AM

I just called the state park- someone there told me that they knew of no beach or swim restrictions this Sunday morning, as long as we are out of the park by 9am, but parking could be an issue. Anyone else want to call them and see if you get the same story?

stiefler    JOINED: 6/2/09    POSTS: 35
POSTED: 5/19/10 8:46 PM

OK...out of the park by 9am means out of the water by 8:45 at the latest, so I'd like to be in the water by 7:45 or 8. I'll plan to leave the Hill by 6:30 with a Starbuck's stop built in. Who's with me? Can give a ride to three others.

POSTED: 5/19/10 8:57 PM

I'm going to call again tomorrow and make sure they give me the same story... I am new to the club and new to triathlon training, but I plan to be there in time for a 7:45 am swim Sunday!

-matt

denaindc's ravatar denaindc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 146
POSTED: 5/20/10 4:20 AM

stiefler- 6:30 works for me. Where in Cap Hill do you want to meet? please send to denarichardson at gmail
Dena

aly838    JOINED: 1/4/10    POSTS: 5
POSTED: 5/20/10 9:30 AM

I'd love to join you guys on Sunday morning as well... I'm in Arlington, and am happy to carpool or drive others out there.

Aly

POSTED: 5/20/10 10:14 AM

I just called the park (Main Office: 410-974-2149) and they said no to any swimming. I'm all (well mostly) for getting there early to get in and out, but I don't want to drive all the way up there only to be turned away...
Matt, I don't suppose you got a name of who you spoke with?

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1287
POSTED: 5/20/10 11:03 AM

For those of you who are not familar with Sandy Point, here are some points to consider.

1. Although the park offically (per the signs at the park) is open from sunrise to sunset, it doesn't mean that you will be able to enter the park at sunrise. They have a gate at the entrance. Some of us have season passes that allow us to enter the park at that time via an electronic card. For the general public, the only way to enter via a car is through their checkpoint. The checkpoint does not open at sunrise ... especially prior to the summer season. If the checkpoint is not manned, you will not be able to enter until someone shows up to man it. I don't know what time they start manning the checkpoint but you should know that answer definitively before going there or you will be sitting outside the gate for a bit of time.

2. When they have events like the one that is occuring this weekend, they fence off a big chunk of the entrance to the beach and the beach itself. The fence would sometime extend a several feet into the water. This doesn't mean that you can't swim. It just means that it's a little bit more difficult than usual to enter and exit the water. You will have to swim around the perimeter to get out.

3. There have been times when I've swam there prior to an event and were left alone. There have been times there when a nice little Park Ranger would be yelling from the beach for me to get out. The point is that whatever the official policy is, it's not enforced on a consistent basis. Be aware of this. And no, you cannot win a debate with the Park Ranger ... especially after he has spent a lot of energy screaming at you to get out of the water :)

4. Have you considered Lake Anna for this weekend? :)

Tuan

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 945
POSTED: 5/20/10 11:48 AM

When in doubt, you can always check the website of the park. They tend to put useful information there.

Also, you have to remember that there is a festival going on that day. There will be stages and soundsystems and roadie crews there. It's not like it's just one guy in a folding chair. So don't be surprised if you show up there at 8:00AM and they aren't letting anyone in who isn't festival staff.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria