Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Carrying extra sports drink mix on the bike?
CREATED: 07/06/10 by legalmoose REPLIES: 8
legalmoose's ravatar legalmoose    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 222
Carrying extra sports drink mix on the bike?
POSTED: 7/06/10 4:51 PM

After the cramping mess that was the 2nd half of my Saturday solo 100 mile ride out the W&OD and back home, I have to ask how people carry extra sports drink mix on the bike. I'll definitely be carrying more "solid" nutrition in the bento box and probably in my jersey pockets, too, in this heat, but I'm at a loss as to how to carry more mix. Or do folks just OD on sports drink in the first 1/3-1/2 and then subsist on water refills and their other nutrition products for the rest? Thanks.

Will

kmwpro's ravatar kmwpro    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 269
RE: Carrying extra sports drink mix on the bike?
POSTED: 7/06/10 5:04 PM

Snack sized ziplocs should hold a serving (or 2 and then you can just pour half into your bottle.)

Or gatorade makes single serve packets, if you drink gatorade. I'm guessing you don't use gatorade or don't see any stores along the way that sell it?

But the mini ziplocs work well, and aren't bad in the back pocket of your jersey.

trisha's ravatar trisha    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 133
POSTED: 7/06/10 5:06 PM

Nuun! It comes in little tablets and although it doesn't have any calories, it has all the electrolytes you need (so they say) and makes your water tasty and a little bit fizzy (it dissolves like alka seltzer). And it comes in a handy little (waterproof) tube you can carry with you.

also, the margarita flavored shot blocks have extra salts in them which is supposed to help.

kmwpro's ravatar kmwpro    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 269
POSTED: 7/06/10 5:11 PM

Nuun IS quite delicious. I often drink it during the day :)

But - that gave me an idea...maybe you need a little empty travel sized shampoo bottle from target - you know how they sell those small empty plastic bottles to put your own shampoo and stuff in for trips? Run it through the dishwasher and then fill THAT guy with powder.

merlinkim's ravatar merlinkim    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 295
POSTED: 7/06/10 5:18 PM

If you're trying to work out a nutrition plan for T200 or a 70.3/140.6 bike leg, then you need to figure out what will be on course and then practice based on those on-course supplies. This could be Nunns/Zyms/Camelbak fizzie tabs, Gu2O/Gatorade/Powerbar Perform in baggies, or just H2O with your calories/electrolytes in solid form. (If you're using an Aerodrink, I found that 32 oz-worth of drink powder fits in a gel flask dry - just don't get water in the flask - dump it in the Aerodrink dry.) You can also mix a spare bottle double-strength, then use it to refill your others as you drink them down. Right now, I'm doing water + (PowerGels or ClifShots) + (Endurolytes or SaltStick capsules).

If you're just trying to get out and back on the WOD, I always found I got exactly the nutrients I needed by getting a pulled pork sandwich at the Ashburn General Store. Oh, and they carry Gatorade too.

bad ford's ravatar bad ford    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 184
POSTED: 7/06/10 8:03 PM

I have done the W&OD ride with a camelbak full of Accelerade (I've since switched to Gatorade Endurance)... If you get the right pack it's not so uncomfortable, and of course, it gets better as you drain it.

I also had water bottles in 3 of my cages, and that got me about 85 miles worth.

The advantage is being able to carry a phone, keys, flip flops (in case of flats I don't want to walk 5 miles in bike shoes). And also, you don't have to stop.

The disadvantage is the weight and discomfort.

I still debate about what I would carry if I did it again.

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 459
POSTED: 7/06/10 9:37 PM

I carry gel flask with Infinit mix in my jersey. That and two bottles are typically enough for a 100-mile ride. If it is really hot, I may also bring a powder packet of Gatorade too.

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
POSTED: 7/06/10 10:13 PM

Will if you're on the W&OD, it's simply a matter of planning your rest / refill stops. There are several places to refill in Vienna, a 7 Eleven off the trail in Reston, the Dairy Queen in Herndon, a 7 Eleven in Sterling, the BBQ place (Carolina Brothers) store with gatorade etc in Ashburn, the couple places at the end of the trail in Purceville, and a 7-Eleven between Purceville and the approach to Mt Weather. I plan my stops and refill on plain ole gatorade or whatever treat is available. You can ride W&OD with 2 water bottles if you know the stops. I carry 3 and plan 1 or 2 refill stops. Good luck and see you on "the trail".

legalmoose's ravatar legalmoose    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 222
POSTED: 8/20/10 12:11 PM

Wanted to give a belated thanks to the folks who responded to this thread last month, y'all were a huge help. Water, Nuun and Shot Blocks seem to have been the magic combo for me (two caged bottles, one of water, one of Nuun, and a between-the-aero-bars bottle with water only, with a shot block eaten every 10 min or so, alternating margarita flavor with another flavor), and that's worked consistently since I switched over. No more cramps, and I've been set up well for doing a brick run afterward as well. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Will

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria